Saturday Ground

UPSGUY72

I don't think UPS is thinking about saving money by offering Saturday Ground delivery. Just another service level to stay competitive. I see it as a driver sort and load with the Saturday Air drivers delivering ground after their air. At most may have to add a few more Saturday Air drivers and pay them top driver rate.

There not paying some driver $33.66 hr to load his truck for 2,3 or more hrs then go deliver for 8 hrs after. In 99 percent of the country Ptimers load cars most at less than half the pay a Driver make. They also could do away with the PT Sat Air drivers and just have the regular driver deliver the Air like they do Monday- Friday.

PT Car Washer

There not paying some driver $33.66 hr to load his truck for 2,3 or more hrs then go deliver for 8 hrs after. In 99 percent of the country Ptimers load cars most at less than half the pay a Driver make. They also could do away with the PT Sat Air drivers and just have the regular driver deliver the Air like they do Monday- Friday.
I agree with you completely. Which is why I don't think Saturday Ground Service will be no more then an experiment to see how much demand is there.

BigBeef42

What is top utility pay? I am saying top package car driver rate and maybe 1 1/2 because we would no longer be under ART. 40 Air Driver. $33.69/hr versus $26.14/hr.

Top utility is $26hr.... its what we get paid when we run ground pkgs.

I wouldnt mind a bump or two

Less Runnin, More Stunnin

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Just to give you guys some ideas about how lucrative this could be.

Say you work 45 Saturdays out of 52. Of those Saturdays you work a minimum of 4 hours (taking into account you worked 50ish M-friend) at 50.56/hr. By the end of the year you'd make 9100.00 more just from Saturdays. Say you've been here for 15years and plan on doing 30 and out. Doing 15 more years at 9100.00 an extra a year (no yearly raises calculated into this), you'd have $136,512.00. That would equal roughly two years of what someone who takes a few no pays every so often makes.

Now imagine you're ready to leave and took that 4hrs on Sat the whole time and dumped just that into a 401k for 15 years and earned 10% a year off it average. It would come out to be $318,042.54 over the 15 years. Now lets say your 55 at the time and can't pull from it till 60 and you're just living off your pension, the total at age 60 would be $512,210.69.

All that from 4hrs extra OT a week Saturday morning for 15 years working.
$ isn't everything. Live your life

MobileBA

West Coast Supplement contract has language in it that allows the company to have a Tuesday thru Saturday operation. Eventually as things get ironed out you will have employees starting Tuesday. The company is not going to pay overtime forever on an entire shift when they can get away with paying the guranatee 8 hours at straight time. however, come peak season i can almost guaranteed your going to be working all the time.

UPSGUY72

West Coast Supplement contract has language in it that allows the company to have a Tuesday thru Saturday operation. Eventually as things get ironed out you will have employees starting Tuesday. The company is not going to pay overtime forever on an entire shift when they can get away with paying the guranatee 8 hours at straight time. however, come peak season i can almost guaranteed your going to be working all the time.

The problem with having a Tuesday - Sat Package car shift is that they have to hire more drivers for that shift. So Tues - Friday they are going to have to many drivers and not enough routes....

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I see their solution will be Sunday plus one other day off. Top seniority guys will take Saturday-Sunday or Sunday-Monday off while the rest will take Sunday plus one other day off. Don't laugh, I never thought they would take Black Friday away.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I agree with you completely. Which is why I don't think Saturday Ground Service will be no more then an experiment to see how much demand is there.
Also by doing regular Saturday delivery, they'd be cannibalizing their Saturday delivery revenue on air because they'd no longer have to pay extra for it.

UPSGUY72

Cut routes on monday. load everybody up.
Then you have saturday drivers.

All that the Monday driver have to do is request there 8 hrs of work. You can't cut routes on Monday and tell the M-friend driver in order to get there 8 they have to work Sat it doesn't work that way. You also can't lay people off only Monday and every Monday.