Saturday or Sunday hmm

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Perhaps he lost his secret decoder ring?
secretdecoderring_zpsc73b6fee.jpg

Comes in handy when knowing how to read isn't enough.

"A regular seniority employee shall not be required to work on the
following eight (8) named holidays-New Year’s Day, Memorial
Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, day after
Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve-regardless
of the day of the week on which the named holiday falls."

"Except as otherwise provided in this Agreement, regular seniority employees required to work on any of the above named holidays shall receive double his/her regular hourly rate for all hours worked with a guarantee of eight (8) hours for full-time employees and four (4) hours for part-time employees. Also, no employee shall be required to work on Labor Day unless authorized by the local union."

Maybe, I am hoping for too much.

If someone would need a "secret decoder ring" to understand plain english....

The newbies, I can understand.

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
"Except as otherwise provided in this Agreement, regular seniority employees required to work on any of the above named holidays shall receive double his/her regular hourly rate for all hours worked with a guarantee of eight (8) hours for full-time employees and four (4) hours for part-time employees. Also, no employee shall be required to work on Labor Day unless authorized by the local union."

Maybe, I am hoping for too much.

If someone would need a "secret decoder ring" to understand plain english....

The newbies, I can understand.

-Bug-

Where is it otherwise provided?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
caveat: noun

"He added the caveat that the results still had to be corroborated:warning, caution, admonition; proviso,condition, stipulation, provision, clause, rider, qualification."

-Bug-
I'm familiar with the term caveat and I believe it is applicable in this instance, but not as you are inferring.

"Except as otherwise provided" is in reference to Article 40 of the Master, where the company doesn't have to pay double time to those employees who can be deemed "air support".
This directly links section 4 to Article 40.
That's how it has been since the language's inception, until this year, with the timeline of the creation of premium services and this language supporting this assertion.

This language was never intended to give the company carte blanche to require us to work any of the named holidays outside of the provisions set forth in Article 40.
Sadly, the IBT has again rolled over for UPS.

I'm familiar with the term caveat and I believe it is applicable in this instance, but not as you are inferring.

"Except as otherwise provided" is in reference to Article 40 of the Master, where the company doesn't have to pay double time to those employees who can be deemed "air support".
That's how it has been since the language's inception, until this year, with the timeline of the creation of premium services and this language supporting this assertion.

This language was never intended to give the company carte blanche to require us to work any of the named holidays outside of the provisions set forth in Article 40.
Sadly, the IBT has again bended over for UPS.
Fixed it,for you.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Sadly, the IBT has again rolled over for UPS.

Again.... again.... and again.

The language in the Central Region has been there, prior to Article 40.

"Walk it back".... Truck Driver.

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Again.... again.... and again.

The language in the Central Region has been there, prior to Article 40.

"Walk it back".... Truck Driver.

-Bug-
Assuming this is the case, as I don't have the resources to disprove it, I again....again.....and again ask you what is "except as otherwise provided for" in reference to?
If not Article 40 or its predecessor, what?

"Walk it forward".... Talking Head.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Assuming this is the case, as I don't have the resources to disprove it, I again....again.....and again ask you what is "except as otherwise provided for" in reference to?
If not Article 40 or its predecessor, what?

"Walk it forward".... Talking Head.

Tell you what....

File a grievance.

Have your agent deadlock it to the Ohio Panel.

Then, man-up.... and show-up.

You will get a decision, and have it explained further. :biggrin:

-Bug-

22.34life

You know people need to understand not everyone wants to work 6 or 7 days and 60 plus hours a week.maybe time off is more important to some than overtime and money.I work as much as possible in peak but I don't judge those who don't.

Dweezel

Only 2 1/2 hour day on Saturday. Sunday is supposed to be 8hrs, we even got a message Friday saying to notify helpers that they could work Sunday. Hope they get it all cleaned up so I can have a relaxing Monday.

Irishman Collins

Tell you what....

File a grievance.

Have your agent deadlock it to the Ohio Panel.

Then, man-up.... and show-up.

You will get a decision, and have it explained further. :biggrin:

-Bug-
Explained how? How it was intended, or how the language will be interpreted now? I wish someone who had some political power would stand up for the language how it was intended and not fall in line like the rest of the sheep! How can otherwise provided mean anything other than that?

Irishman Collins

Bubble head for twenty plus years the day after Thanksgiving has worked the same but since our current I.B.T. administration is in bead with U.P.S. it now means something entirely different. You know, kind of like when we were allowed to vote on our own respective supplements until the I.B.T. decided to reinterpret what the constitution says about members rights to vote and have a say on their futures.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Bubble head for twenty plus years the day after Thanksgiving has worked the same but since our current I.B.T. administration is in bead with U.P.S. it now means something entirely different. You know, kind of like when we were allowed to vote on our own respective supplements until the I.B.T. decided to reinterpret what the constitution says about members rights to vote and have a say on their futures.

E-commerce has changed the game and the IBT needs to keep up.

By The Book

Why don't you just answer the question?
I read except as otherwise to mean if there isn't any other language in the master, or your supplements to override your holiday language then your current holiday language applies. If your supplement says your pay is double time for all hours worked, then that's what your pay rate is. If required to work(forced) from the bottom up, you should get 8 hours. Many top seniority drivers will volunteer so they will not be guaranteed the 8 hours., which may keep some who don't want to work anyway from not being forced in.(from the bottom up) I also read where someone thought someone was doing the wrong thing by signing up for Sunday work. You sir are mistaken!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I read except as otherwise to mean if there isn't any other language in the master, or your supplements to override your holiday language then your current holiday language applies. If your supplement says your pay is double time for all hours worked, then that's what your pay rate is. If required to work(forced) from the bottom up, you should get 8 hours. Many top seniority drivers will volunteer so they will not be guaranteed the 8 hours., which may keep some who don't want to work anyway from not being forced in.(from the bottom up) I also read where someone thought someone was doing the wrong thing by signing up for Sunday work. You sir are mistaken!
I am not mistaken.
This is Central Region language, where the opening sentence in this particular article, Article 15 sec 1 states:

A regular seniority employee shall not be required to work on the
following eight (8) named holidays-New Year’s Day, Memorial
Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, day after
Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve-regardless
of the day of the week on which the named holiday falls.

It's only later in Article 15 sec 4, where it states:

Except as otherwise provided in this Agreement, regular seniority
employees required to work on any of the above named holidays
shall receive double his/her regular hourly rate for all hours worked
with a guarantee of eight (8) hours for full-time employees and four
(4) hours for part-time employees.

I have repeatedly asked those who read it differently than I do these two questions and they have no answers.

1. If the company can make us work on any named holiday, when is the first sentence of Article 15 sec 1 relevant?

2. If not Article 40 or its predecessor, what is "except otherwise provided for" in reference to?

By The Book

Maybe it isn't otherwise provided. This language or wording may only be there in case it was otherwise provided. The last sentence of my reply to your post about being mistaken was intended for Jaker who took a shot at upstate for signing up for the 21st. Sorry for the confusion.