Saturday or Sunday hmm

By The Book

I am not mistaken.
This is Central Region language, where the opening sentence in this particular article, Article 15 sec 1 states:

A regular seniority employee shall not be required to work on the
following eight (8) named holidays-New Year’s Day, Memorial
Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, day after
Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Eve-regardless
of the day of the week on which the named holiday falls.

It's only later in Article 15 sec 4, where it states:

Except as otherwise provided in this Agreement, regular seniority
employees required to work on any of the above named holidays
shall receive double his/her regular hourly rate for all hours worked
with a guarantee of eight (8) hours for full-time employees and four
(4) hours for part-time employees.

I have repeatedly asked those who read it differently than I do these two questions and they have no answers.

1. If the company can make us work on any named holiday, when is the first sentence of Article 15 sec 1 relevant?

2. If not Article 40 or its predecessor, what is "except otherwise provided for" in reference to?
To answer your first question on the relevancy of article 15 sec 1. It would be relevant if you weren't required to work the holiday.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
To answer your first question on the relevancy of article 15 sec 1. It would be relevant if you weren't required to work the holiday.
LOL!!!
What does "shall not be required" mean?
Where is the wiggle room?
come%20on%20man_zps1z3xo3xv.gif

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
E-commerce has changed the game and the IBT needs to keep up.
No, the company needs to keep up and the IBT needs to make sure we get a proportionate share of any gains that "the game" is obviously yielding.
This is done in 5 year intervals and we are on the front side of a new concessionary agreement that is already being "re-interpreted" to the favor of the company.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The IBT needs to make sure we get a proportionate share of any gains that "the game" is obviously yielding.

All I can say to that is.... wow.

We are on the front side of a new concessionary agreement that is already being "re-interpreted" to the favor of the company.

What language is being "re-interpreted" ?

It means the same thing, it has for 40 years.

This is simple folks, shall not be required. There are no other meanings to the definitive word, shall.

You are taking a "literal" view.... of a part of a sentence.

And then, not viewing it in the context of the entire article.

People, that take that kind of narrow minded view to contractual language show

what little experience they have. That's not a put-down or insult. It's just fact.

It usually takes the average person elected in to Local office 3 years, to learn the job.

When you are exposed to other Unionized companies and their contracts, and are involved

with re-negotiation's (with your Local's attorney).... you gain a broader breadth of knowledge.

You don't get stuck in a UPS mentality.

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

what little experience they have. That's not a put-down or insult. It's just fact.

It usually takes the average person elected in to Local office 3 years, to learn the job.

When you are exposed to other Unionized companies and their contracts, and are involved

with re-negotiation's (with your Local's attorney).... you gain a broader breadth of knowledge.

-Bug-

What is "except as otherwise provided" in reference to?
When is "no seniority employee shall be required" relevant?

You continue to talk in circles without answering these questions.

Help a dumb truck driver out.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

What does your Local leadership say ?

Dave and Sam, were never one's to back down from a fight.

Help a dumb truck driver out.

I've never thought you were a "dumb truck driver". Quite the contrary.

Maybe a little to smart.... for your own good. :biggrin:

When I am delivering packages on Christmas morning some year....I will be saying more than wow.

And the people, that never voted on their own contract.... might think that too.

-Bug-

Irishman Collins

-Bug-
Lol, I think it takes about three years of realizing that the current I.B.T. administration leaves you with no options but to realize that you either except the way things are and "get with the program" or continue to get bad decisions from the panels. I believe that free thinking and different opinions lead to a better Union but obviously my opinion has fell on deaf ears because the membership continues to vote for our current administration. Although, I do believe the tide is turning as we continue to watch things our great Union leaders of the past negotiated go by the wayside and not to mention our rights as Union members to have fair elections also go by the wayside. It is time to realize that change is the only thing we have left before our benefits are reduced to what ever U.P.S. deems necessary because we certainly can't depend on our current leaders to stand up and fight for what's right for its members and working men and women all over this country.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Lol, I think it takes about three years of realizing that the current I.B.T. administration leaves you with no options but to realize that you either except the way things are and "get with the program" or continue to get bad decisions from the panels. I believe that free thinking and different opinions lead to a better Union but obviously my opinion has fell on deaf ears because the membership continues to vote for our current administration. Although, I do believe the tide is turning as we continue to watch things our great Union leaders of the past negotiated go by the wayside and not to mention our rights as Union members to have fair elections also go by the wayside. It is time to realize that change is the only thing we have left before our benefits are reduced to what ever U.P.S. deems necessary because we certainly can't depend on our current leaders to stand up and fight for what's right for its members and working men and women all over this country.

And the people, that never voted on their own contract.... might think that too.

-Bug-

Irishman Collins

Answer my questions and humble me?
I'm trying to understand.
Bubblehead isn't it apparent that they can't answer your questions because they know that you are right? It's simple, when you are being paid to preach someone else's sermon when it comes to expressing your own thoughts, you are stifled by the old mighty dollar and the threat of losing your political power and position.

upschuck

I am not saying it is right, but....

Probably refers to the air articles that only gives straight time to air drivers.

With the other language later on in that article that was put in after this initial language put in, I would say(don't know legally for sure) the later language would supersede the original language. That, along with the language that says UPS can make operational changes to keep up with the competition, makes it 2-1 in favor of the companies decision. At best, it is ambiguous, and can be interpreted either way.