Saturday Part Time Air Driver work

McGee

Hello 2 my ups brothers and sisters!! I have a question. I work in the DC area as a part time air driver. My building is forcing all air driver 2 work on Saturdays. Are they allowed to do that? I have a full-time job to go along with my part-time and by the end of the week I'm exhausted. They're threatening our jobs if we don't show up. I just want to know if they're allowed to do this.

You cannot drive after working 60 hours in 7 days without a 34 hour reset.

There's your answer, plus if something happens and they knew you already worked 60 hours, its THEIR butts for direct violation of DOT hours. Gotta have your rest.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Around here Saturday air driving is volunteer only that you must sign up for. For staffing purposes all PT sign ups are required to be there, then any other PT are asked. If they still need people, they ask FT, force PT, and finally force FT. This is in the Southern Supplement

Arch

Out of curiosity what is the average wait time to go Saturday Air driving in your areas? I figure it's much shorter then trying to sign up and get a FT driving position since a lot don't like to work Saturdays.

I might want to sign up just for some extra hours and experience.

Out of curiosity what is the average wait time to go Saturday Air driving in your areas? I figure it's much shorter then trying to sign up and get a FT driving position since a lot don't like to work

There isn't a wait time. If u wanna work they put u 2 work immediately if your a part time driver. Part-timers take precedence over the full-timers on Saturdays.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
My guess As a former FT 22.3 sat air, mothers day is very crazy and this sounds like an exceptional case, rather than perm m-s. Here in NE, our work weeks are five consecutive days. That is supplement language. They're forcing PT air because of understaffing delivering all those 1800 flowers. ;)

UPS Preloader

As stated above. According to Art. 40 you can be forced to work Saturdays if you have hours available. Given that you work two jobs and will have already worked 60 hours that week, you cannot drive without a 34 hour reset.

billerz

Out of curiosity what is the average wait time to go Saturday Air driving in your areas? I figure it's much shorter then trying to sign up and get a FT driving position since a lot don't like to work Saturdays.

In my center they are begging people to drive on Saturdays, I'd say the wait time would be until next Saturday lol.

In my center they are begging people to drive on Saturdays, I'd say the wait time would be until next Saturday lol.
My Center also. The only problem is getting people that want to drive to a school so they can. This problem has been years in the making and is only getting worse.

km3

I got the call about 3 weeks ago. I'm currently in limbo, waiting for them to schedule a road test and driving school, but it took me 10 months and 2 weeks to get the call.

One thing to keep in mind though, is that I was on midnight for 9 months before I made it onto sunrise/preload. Employees on midnight cannot do Saturday air, so it's entirely possible that I had enough seniority before but they passed over me due to the scheduling conflict. And just in case you're wondering, the reason midnight workers cannot drive Sat. air is because there needs to be 10 hours of downtime between the previous shift and your next driving shift to comply with DOT requirements.

Last edited:
I got the call about 3 weeks ago. I'm currently in limbo, waiting for them to schedule a road test and driving school, but it took me 10 months and 2 weeks to get the call.

One thing to keep in mind though, is that I was on midnight for 9 months before I made it onto sunrise/preload. Employees on midnight cannot do Saturday air, so it's entirely possible that I had enough seniority before but they passed over me due to the scheduling conflict. And just in case you're wondering, the reason midnight workers cannot drive Sat. air is because there needs to be 10 hours of downtime between the previous shift and your next driving shift to comply with DOT requirements.
Our Midnight sort works Sunday through Thursday.