Save your money for 2013

bluehdmc

This thread reminds me of the old picture I use to see of the REA package car sitting in a field with tall grass and weeds.
The REA union employees did not recognize the economic realities of their time either.

View attachment 5401

As soon as I read this post, I thought, "It's easy to blame union workers, but what about bad management decisions?"

Unions were blamed for the downfall of the US auto industry, but what about GM's management decisions?
Like the Saturn, (which never turned a profit)? Or Hummers? etc.

Then I read Rod's post.

As far as a two tier contract, UPS did something like this, at least in my area around 1982, I wasn't employed here then but if I recall new hires were paid about 10% less than older employees. At that time about $.70, not much in today's dollars, I guess management didn't think the wage scale would go as high as it did, and it was a dollar amount rather than a percentage. The post office also did the same thing about that time.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Air Canada and their union (CAW), has just signed a 2 Tier agreement and are going back to work tomorrow morning.
Wages will stay 1 Tier, but pension for new hirees will be less.

Looks like the new trend ???!!!!

<<<<<off topic>>>>>>

Klein, can you find a more flamboyant avatar pic ! I'm not feeling the full effect !

klein

Für Meno :)
and btw, what's off topic ?
2 Tier pay system was discussed, and I posted that the Canadian Auto Workers Union have just agreed to it.
Not on the wage scale though, but on future pension plans for new hirees !
Doesn't surprise me a bit, see if Teamsters does it next.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
and btw, what's off topic ?
2 Tier pay system was discussed, and I posted that the Canadian Auto Workers Union have just agreed to it.
Not on the wage scale though, but on future pension plans for new hirees !
Doesn't surprise me a bit, see if Teamsters does it next.

I was off topic ! lol :happy-very:

Nothing would surprise me in the next 2 years but hope that the Teamster negotiating team takes care of the nonsense drivers face on a daily hourly minute by minute basis. Either with a double time OT rule which will force new Full Time jobs, or a watered down surveillance system.

happyboy

I'm sure the ibt don't even know what the issues are, sure they will wheel out the better wages, healthcare and pension cart. Those are not the issues that Im concerned with at the present time.

iamupser

Grease Monkey
Don't we already have the 2 tiered system? Part time vs Full time / Air Driver vs Ground Driver. They probably are ready to roll it out full scale!

brownelf

I believe the biggest battle is going to involve seniority rights and the new level of harassment the telematics techonology has brought upon many of us. Would like to see routes broken up and assignment of package cars by seniority. Where I'm at the higher seniority people have the routes that seem to be broken up the most along with the oldest package cars( in most cases) This seems to be part of a plan to force the older people into retirement before many had planned or can afford to do so.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

There is already a mechanism in place for this. The senioriity driver who has his route cut can displace a junior employee based on the language of their supplement.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I believe the biggest battle is going to involve seniority rights and the new level of harassment the telematics techonology has brought upon many of us. Would like to see routes broken up and assignment of package cars by seniority. Where I'm at the higher seniority people have the routes that seem to be broken up the most along with the oldest package cars( in most cases) This seems to be part of a plan to force the older people into retirement before many had planned or can afford to do so.

Sounds like a perfect way to ease into retirement. Work 2 to 3 days a week while collecting full benefits. Will have to mention this to my sup.
Can put the blue vest of Walmart on hold for a little longer!

Re-Raise

Sounds like a perfect way to ease into retirement. Work 2 to 3 days a week while collecting full benefits. Will have to mention this to my sup.
Can put the blue vest of Walmart on hold for a little longer!

So in your center if your route is broken up you don't have to work?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So in your center if your route is broken up you don't have to work?

In my center we have the option of taking a paid day, a dead day, bumping a lower seniority driver or, in some cases, making up the hours on the inside. The last option is normally only when the run will be cut for two days or more.