Save your money for 2013

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Sounds like a perfect way to ease into retirement. Work 2 to 3 days a week while collecting full benefits. Will have to mention this to my sup.
Can put the blue vest of Walmart on hold for a little longer!
Work 2-3 days a week around here for an extended time and you'll be getting a COBRA notice in the mail. Then you'll be paying for those full benefits.

So in your center if your route is broken up you don't have to work?
Same as Upstate here. If they break your route out you can bump a junior guy or go home, your choice. Unless they're breaking a route out because they literally don't have enough drivers, but I can't remember the last time that's been the case.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Work 2-3 days a week around here for an extended time and you'll be getting a COBRA notice in the mail. Then you'll be paying for those full benefits.

Same as Upstate here. If they break your route out you can bump a junior guy or go home, your choice. Unless they're breaking a route out because they literally don't have enough drivers, but I can't remember the last time that's been the case.

Not true in my local. All we have to do is work at least one day a week and all benefits are paid. Have known my drivers over the years who have gone out this way. Route doesn't have to be broken. We can volunteer to take layoff days from the top of seniority list on down whenever excess drivers are available. At present, I have a driver in my loop who only works 2 or 3 days a week now.

Re-Raise

They chop my route up every Monday and sometimes other days of the week. I thought I had the first option of staying home and they could make a lower seniority driver run the combo route.

Someone on here said seniority only gives you the right to work not the right to not work. I think when my route is cut the first option should always be mine. If they don't have enough drivers it isn't my problem.

They always try to use the excuse that none of the lower seniority drivers who are laid off know the combo route. Not my problem.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Not true in my local. All we have to do is work at least one day a week and all benefits are paid. Have known my drivers over the years who have gone out this way. Route doesn't have to be broken. We can volunteer to take layoff days from the top of seniority list on down whenever excess drivers are available. At present, I have a driver in my loop who only works 2 or 3 days a week now.
You can thank these drivers to contributing to the reduction of drivers on the payroll. This is long-term debt that UPS is trying to reduce.
Note: I have no inside knowledge but it is obvious to me.

kingOFchester

Wow, I just read this article, http://www.isreview.org/issues/55/bigbrown.shtml.

Amazing how much the early to mid 90's leading up to August 97 sounds a lot like the enviroment we are working in now.

“totalitarian workplace”

“a combination of the Marine Corps and the Quakers.”

"supervisors relentlessly pushed and harassed their workers for greater productivity"

"pressure to complete anywhere from 150 to 200 stops "

"University of Illinois, conducted a nationwide study involving 317 package car drivers at an “unnamed delivery company” that was obviously UPS. It concluded: “This study suggests that job stress is a psychological health hazard for these drivers.”

found in the study that was quoted "indicating a substantial increase in psychologic distress for this group."

Last edited:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Wow, I just read this article, http://www.isreview.org/issues/55/bigbrown.shtml.

Amazing how much the early to mid 90's leading up to August 97 sounds a lot like the enviroment we are working in now.

“totalitarian workplace”

“a combination of the Marine Corps and the Quakers.”

"supervisors relentlessly pushed and harassed their workers for greater productivity"

"pressure to complete anywhere from 150 to 200 stops "

"University of Illinois, conducted a nationwide study involving 317 package car drivers at an “unnamed delivery company” that was obviously UPS. It concluded: “This study suggests that job stress is a psychological health hazard for these drivers.”

found in the study that was quoted "indicating a substantial increase in psychologic distress for this group."

just grab the handrail EVERY time and everything will be all ok...grab that handrail and all your stress will blow out the bulkhead door...be one with the handrail and all will be just in the world

TUT

Everyone should have 3-6 months living expenses ( more would be better ) regardless in savings . just common sense.

You are right common sense. Like common sense you will continue to make more each year you work. Everything will go according to plans etc. The problem is tons of us lost 100's of thousands recently, took pay cuts or worse lost a job and got another at 1/2 the rate. When the common person wages go backwards in whole (and they have), doom is around the corner. It's a terrible sign that even the richest people should fear. So having 3-6 months in the bank sounds good, until someone takes it basically away from us for one reason or another. I'm done with old time economic sayings, it's like being oblivious to what is really happening around us.

satellitedriver

You are right common sense. Like common sense you will continue to make more each year you work. Everything will go according to plans etc.That is called hope and common sense tells one to plan for the worst. The problem is tons of us lost 100's of thousands recently, took pay cuts or worse lost a job and got another at 1/2 the rate. When the common person wages go backwards in whole (and they have), doom is around the corner.This is when the common sense of putting back a "rainy day" fund comes into play. It's a terrible sign that even the richest people should fear. So having 3-6 months in the bank sounds good,I can tell you from personal experience it is better than good, it can be a life saver. until someone takes it basically away from us for one reason or another.Basically, I have never met that someone in my 58yrs. I'm done with old time economic sayings, it's like being oblivious to what is really happening around us.Hopefully, you are young and will not have to learn the hard way that the reality of economics is a constant fact of life.
What plan do you have that replaces common sense and planning for hard times?

BrownArmy

true that. If I have learned anything from Obama, its that being in a lot of debt can be solved by accruing even more debt. who needs 3-6 months savings when I can just open another credit card

You do know that Bush raised the debt ceiling about six times during his presidency, don't you?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
You do know that Bush raised the debt ceiling about six times during his presidency, don't you?

Which was necessary due to his monumentally idiotic idea to cut taxes in the middle of a war, thereby ensuring that the cost of that war will be paid for by our grandchildren.