Save your money for 2013

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Do you think UPS would exist as a package delivery company if there was ever a second occasion of a strike? Not likely. There are companies out there that still have not forgiven UPS for the '97 strike. Volume would be non-existent and we would all have to look for something else to do if there was a second strike in 2013.

porkwagon

Do you think UPS would exist as a package delivery company if there was ever a second occasion of a strike? Not likely. There are companies out there that still have not forgiven UPS for the '97 strike. Volume would be non-existent and we would all have to look for something else to do if there was a second strike in 2013.

'97 was the second strike. There was a strike on UPS in the '70s right?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
. I'm a seven year driver and I would bet that I would definitely be out of a job. Unless UPS is stupid and asks for some unrealistic concessions, which they wouldn't, I don't think anything could be gained by a strike. .

You have been a driver for 7 years so you should know by now to never underestimate the ability of upper-level UPS management to make stupid decisions.

I can only pray that the management people who sit down at the bargaining table are brighter than the ones who do our timestudies, write our loop detail, and make our daily operational plans.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
strike in 1976 saved a fledgling fedex business

strike in 1997 creates what we know today as FedEx ground

stike in 2013 ???? i'd say it will be the end of the union

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Three lines of complete and total BS in one post. Amazing.

Here's a thought; have your people sit down at the table with the intention of bargaining a fair contract in good faith. I know its kind of a foreign concept for most of you guys, but give it a try. I would like to hope that, at the end of the day, we all want the same thing....which is an agreement that works for both sides.

bigblu 2 you

so your saying every strike strengthens non union entities?i guess we need to let the corporate giants have their way like walmart,nike,and countles others that abuse laborers.every strike ups has been involved in was a gain for workers and families.there are two sides to look at everything.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
i'm saying every strike stregnthens our primary competitor.

edit: who is non-union

edit2: my people? i'm screwed if you all strike. remember, I get paid on compensation, not straight salary.

i think we should negotiate a good faith contract and start soon.

Lay off the Guiness...dont you know alcohol makes you say stupid things? Oh,youre right theres a good possibility of the end of the union.But it will be created by the dissention upper management is intentionally creating with hourlies,not by hourlies standing up for their rights.And by the way upssalesguy-go out and get your own salesleads...im tired of being told to do your freakin job...........

Re-Raise

remember, I get paid on compensation, not straight salary.

I assume you meant to say that you get paid on commission. I know those big words can be tough to use in a sentence.

It is only fair that if you can't grow the volume that you shouldn't be paid.

We work for a living. You talk for a living. If your talking doesn't yield results why should we pay you?

hembone

That was not a countrywide strike. It was confined to the NE as I remember.[/QUOTE

It was in North Carolina too. We were out for 3 months, during peak season also. My aunt worked at the post office and said it was miserable there that Christmas.

hembone

Back then there was no warning. We were all working, our start time was 5:30. At 6:15 our business agent was in the "tower" and cut the power to all the belts. I was just a 20 year old and didn't really know what to do. Supervisors were telling us to keep working and union guys were telling us to stop. I'll say one thing I've never seen such a mess.

kurtkampy

In 1976 we also went on strike in Wisconsin. Back then the contract ended April 30th and we were out for two and a half weeks. I was on preload and we had to picket twice a week the same time we worked, so I was out there from 3:30 to 8:30 in the morning freezing my but off.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You have been a driver for 7 years so you should know by now to never underestimate the ability of upper-level UPS management to make stupid decisions.

I can only pray that the management people who sit down at the bargaining table are brighter than the ones who do our timestudies, write our loop detail, and make our daily operational plans.

Sober, do you think its the local mgt who are making these decisions or is it coming down from 3 or 4 levels up. I know in my center they would "run the cars if they could, but cant".... I think the centers are getting a bad rap where the fault should lie at the district and region level..imo

Coldworld

60 months and counting

correct me if im wrong but I believe fedex already was in talks with rps about buying them before the strike....There is a couple articles floating around about how at one time Fred S had no intention about getting into ground because the margins wernt as good as the air side of the business. Im sure the strike opened his eyes when customers were begging rps drivers to take their packages...actually walking up to trucks and trying to hand them stuff. Now dont you think ups would have known this and "heard the chatter" in the air about fedex getting serious about rps. I find it interesting how one company is giving ups such a run for their money. It is one of the few segments in business that doesnt have 10+ companies going for the same piece of the pie...look at the auto industry, clothing, supermarkets, etc, etc, all have much more competition than the package delivery business and we are getting our butts handed to us.

LagunaBrown

We are the Union and it is our responsibility to protect what we have. Union dues are exactly that, you pay to be a part of a group that requires participation. It is not a service fee where you get to sit on your ass and ride the gravy train to retirement. Save your money and vote out every Republican in the House of Representatives that is creating loop holes for big business and not protecting the middle class. There is too much apathy and it must stop! The fight for your contract starts today so at the very least ask your friends and family to vote for political change. So we as Teamsters are strong and can fight for what is right!