Say I get a part time job tomorrow and have a 2 week vacation planned for xmas...

Ringside

Hello all,

First post here. I have a tour to attend tonight after applying a couple of weeks ago online.

Some background....I moved to the US from the UK in April and have been looking for work with no luck. In December I'm going home for 2 weeks for a family wedding....If I get offered a job am I screwed as far as my trip is concerned?

Thanks a lot.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You went to the wrong company for that, sorry, we would have appreciated the injection of humorous expectations, and your humorous self of course!

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
Hello all,

First post here. I have a tour to attend tonight after applying a couple of weeks ago online.

Some background....I moved to the US from the UK in April and have been looking for work with no luck. In December I'm going home for 2 weeks for a family wedding....If I get offered a job am I screwed as far as my trip is concerned?

Thanks a lot.

Considering what time of year it is: This interview/tour you are attending is most likely for seasonal Christmas jobs.....Good luck...

Kraetos

Preload, Loader
Who knows, you may get lucky. Just work up until December, do a no call no show for two weeks, and then come back to work and act like nothing happened. If it was my management you would have a very good chance getting away with it, but if you don't, you weren't there very long anyway so no big woop. Good Luck!

Dustyroads

The two weeks before Christmas are the most demanding time of the year for UPS. The real super volume doesn't begin until two weeks before the 25th. One can commit a lot of offenses during December and keep their job, EXCEPT for not coming to work. Over the years, I've known drivers to be harrassed for taking a day off sick in December, even when they were a walking typhoid Mary. It's like leaving your battle station at the height of the conflict. The only two week vacation one can get at UPS is one that is scheduled the previous January, and of course, that cannot be taken between Thanksgiving and Christmas eve. :)

helenofcalifornia

I don't know. Ringside might only be missing one week of peak if he goes on vaca a week before. And what Kraetos says is valid in some centers. If Ring kicks ass in both performance and ass-kissing, he might still have a job. (Where he will be laid off until September)

Ringside

Who's a troll? me or Just Numbers?

Anyway....I went along to the building tour tonight and one of the things said was about vacation. They said if we hire you and during your 30 day training you inform us of an upcoming vacation then you will be let go, but if you are up front and if you get hired, at the 3rd visit to UPS (when you get called back to be informed they have a job for you AFTER the interview) you tell them then they will work with you. Then they told us about some kid who was told he'd got a job but told them that he wouldn't be able to start after all because his dad had booked a vacation up for em. They allegedly said no problem call us when you get back because as far as we're concerned you are already employed.

Sounds too good to be true.....

rocket man

YOU should make your resevations as soon as possible ,. Even take a week extra they wont mind at all. I worked the first 3 days it was hard i asked if i could take a week off to get use to it . they said no problem:happy2: I Came back a week later they welcomed me with open arms .:surprised: SO dont worry about it take off ENJOY.

old levi's

blank space
I think you have us confused with the lesser known warm and fuzzy ups.
In order to reach them you have to pass through a full length mirror while swinging a dead cat over your head and reciting Dante's Inferno.

Good Luck

JaxUPSHub

this is soo funny.. the funniest part is that HR told you, if you let them know in advance, it would be ok.... LOL LOL LOL LOL I probaby wont be able to visit my family in St.Louis for just 2 days, because of work. 2 weeks.. L O L .. Haven\'t laughed like this in a long time

JustTired

free at last.......
I can't believe kids (guess I shouldn't assume).....people these days. Don't even have the job yet but already talking about time off. I can't tell you how many times in recent years I've seen this come up. "Yeah...I'll take the job, but I can't work next Friday."

While a job should never be the number one priority in anyones life, it should be up there towards the top. Especially when you are first starting out.

OK...having said that.......if you get the job and you really feel the need to go back home, tell them you need to go back for the 2 weeks to finish up your degree in Industrial Engineering. You might stand a chance, then. LOL

brownrodster

Then they told us about some kid who was told he'd got a job but told them that he wouldn't be able to start after all because his dad had booked a vacation up for em. They allegedly said no problem call us when you get back because as far as we're concerned you are already employed.

Sounds too good to be true.....

At this point they will tell you anything to convince you to take the job. But once you start they have you by the gonads and they forget all the promises they made to get you in that door and on the belt. They will not let you leave. They will threaten you. If you are lucky you can leave then come back and they won't fire you. But I wouldn't count on it. Come january they will have too many employees and probably won't need you anymore.