Sayings you never heard before

Catatonic

Nine Lives
From Texas - I'll bet you a dollar to a donut hole ...

From Wisconsin - Good snow last night, I'm going to take the car out and do some Cheerios.
We call those donuts down South unless it's a Nascar driver in a UPS truck.
http://mikelearportfolio.blogspot.com/2008/10/ups-nascar-donut-with-flames.html

What are some of the sayings you have heard and thought "that's different"?

"You should grow like an onion, with your head in the ground and your feet in the air."

"It's like shooting Lincoln and hanging his picture on the wall."

Busier than a one-legged man in an :censored2: kicking contest.

"Even a blind hog finds a nut sometimes."

"Nervous as a long-talied cat in a room full of rocking chairs"

Last edited:

BigBrownSanta

One my father used to say is "slicker than snot", as in that ice is slicker than snot. Since he was born and raised in Indiana, I'm gonna guess it's from there.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I used to deliver to a local prison and the lady in receiving, after I would say that I would see her tomorrow, would reply "Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise."

Another local phrase is "I guess maybe". Huh?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
A pilot friend of mine when there is a lot of turbulence,
"Bumpier than snot."

Can anybody explain these?

"Grinnin' like a mule eatin' briars"

"To Hell in a handbasket"

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
From my hubby.................'someone's' so stupid they couldn't get piss out of a boot with the directions on the heel.
.............................'someone's' so stupid they think it's snowin oats.

BigBrownSanta

From my hubby.................'someone's' so stupid they couldn't get piss out of a boot with the directions on the heel.
.............................'someone's' so stupid they think it's snowin oats.

Another one my father used to say (alot), usually in reference to me...:happy-very:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
A couple from work;

From a OnCar Sup: "Just jump right in and jump right out", referring to delivering another drive'sr NDA on the way to my route.

From a Package Driver: "You can't get there from here", which means he refuses to help another driver somehow.

Big Babooba

From a Package Driver: "You can't get there from here", which means he refuses to help another driver somehow.
Drive in Boston some time. Then you'll understand the real meaning. I wonder how many UPS drivers have contemplated jumping off the Tobin Bridge?:knockedout:

dillweed

A pilot friend of mine when there is a lot of turbulence,
"Bumpier than snot."

Can anybody explain these?

"Grinnin' like a mule eatin' briars"

"To Hell in a handbasket"

Hell in a handbasket

Meaning
'Going to hell in a handbasket' is to be deteriorating - on a course for disaster.
Origin
The transit to hell is conjured up in various terms that use the imagery of swiftness; for example 'hellbent' and 'hell for leather'.
There are one or two theories as to why 'handbasket' was chosen as the preferred vehicle to be conveyed to hell. Handbaskets are, of course, baskets that are carried by hand. Items put in a handbasket are moved without resistance and it could be that the imagery of someone being taken off directly and without choice was in the mind of whoever coined the phrase. Another theory is that it derives from the use of the guillotine and the imagery of decipitated heads being caught in baskets, the casualty presumably going straight to hell, without passing Go.

dillweed

Was informed of next day start time by a young pt sup. Said I'd be there with bells on. He had never heard the expression. I looked it up online and found that it originated in the days where venders would come to the towns to sell their wares. They had bells that rang and alerted everyone that they had arrived.

Yes, slicker than snot just may be an Indiana thing. :happy2:

Dad used to say "you could screw up a wet dream" he didn't use the word "screw" either. I can still hear his voice saying that when I make a stupid mistake.

LiL"Comet"

28_2_10.gif
Tossed around or blown around like a fart in a whirlwind.

LOL