Scab vs. Non Scab ?

simplesam

and as far as scabs , when they get inna pinch and need help a steward goes to bat for them they can try an knock a home run or just a lil bunt! have a good day scabs!

jr32bad

Scad

Sent using BrownCafe App

Attachments

• 1407840038096.jpg
    1407840038096.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 194

Overpaid Union Thug

Sometimes I feel like some of us extended centers are treated like scabs even though we pay our dues. Especially when we lose a grievance on the hub doing our CPU feeder work but later find out that the same hub won a similar grievance on another extended center doing their CPU feeder work. The grievances were exactly the same except the work was going the opposite way. Only it would appear that someone decided that the hub is permitted to dip into other buildings' work but not the other way around.

WTF !?!?!?

How is that a fair labor practice? I guess that's just life working in an extended center. We are defacto scabs.

gorilla75jdw

Sometimes I feel like some of us extended centers are treated like scabs even though we pay our dues. Especially when we lose a grievance on the hub doing our CPU feeder work but later find out that the same hub won a similar grievance on another extended center doing their CPU feeder work. The grievances were exactly the same except the work was going the opposite way. Only it would appear that someone decided that the hub is permitted to dip into other buildings' work but not the other way around.

WTF !?!?!?

How is that a fair labor practice? I guess that's just life working in an extended center. We are defacto scabs.

Lol , I know they sent 5 feeder jobs to Massman , because nobody wanted to bid on them at the creek .

Sent using BrownCafe App

Overpaid Union Thug

Lol , I know they sent 5 feeder jobs to Massman , because nobody wanted to bid on them at the creek .

Sent using BrownCafe App

Yeah I've heard that here and from a couple of feeder drivers that come to my building. I wonder if any of that work was already in Massman's area? If so then the local basically just gave them work that should have been theirs in the first place. If not then kudos to the local for giving someone else sloppy seconds. LOL! Hey I'd jump on those sloppy seconds in a heartbeat.

I know some would say that feeder work isn't any one building's and is actually UPS's work. Well, that logic doesn't hold when you have extended centers losing grievances on trying to keep the CPU work in their area being done by Whites Creek but then Whites Creek wins the same exact same grievance on an extended center doing CPU work in their area. See the blatant double standard there? I know I do. I'd love to have a copy of the Whites Creek grievance(s) (that were won) and the grievances by the multiple extended centers (that were lost) and show them to a labor attorney. But I will go ahead and admit that THAT is probably just wishful thinking. It all boils down to all of the votes Whites Creek has for whoever is in power at the local. They'll never do anything to lose that. Us extended centers don't stand a chance. LOL!

Last edited:

Inthegame

...I know some would say that feeder work isn't any one building's and is actually UPS's work. Well, that logic doesn't hold when you have extended centers losing grievances on trying to keep the CPU work in their area being done by Whites Creek but then Whites Creek wins the same exact same grievance on an extended center doing CPU work in their area. See the blatant double standard there? I know I do. I'd love to have a copy of the Whites Creek grievance(s) (that were won) and the grievances by the multiple extended centers (that were lost) and show them to a labor attorney.
How do you know they're the "exact same grievance" if you haven't seen them? Getting copies should require nothing more than asking your BA or the grievants.

Overpaid Union Thug

How do you know they're the "exact same grievance" if you haven't seen them? Getting copies should require nothing more than asking your BA or the grievants.

Because I know what was filed in my building and was lost. I know what was filed at the others and lost. And I know that Whites Creek filled for the same thing and won. Plus, it helps to have reliable sources that includes people that either work in each of the buildings in question, or are feeder drivers that work between them.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Inthegame

Because I know what was filed in my building and was lost. I know what was filed at the others and lost. And I know that Whites Creek filled for the same thing and won. Plus, it helps to have reliable sources that includes people that either work in each of the buildings in question, or are feeder drivers that work between them.

Sent using BrownCafe App
Being a thirty plus yr feeder guy, I can unequivocally say that if you believe everything you hear from Feeder drivers you need help. A much more reliable source would be someone in the room when both cases were presented. I'm reasonably certain some conditions between these cases were different.
But to your point, you're not the lone ranger here, this is happening across the country as UPS is focusing on fully using their bigger hubs.

Overpaid Union Thug

Being a thirty plus yr feeder guy, I can unequivocally say that if you believe everything you hear from Feeder drivers you need help. A much more reliable source would be someone in the room when both cases were presented. I'm reasonably certain some conditions between these cases were different.
But to your point, you're not the lone ranger here, this is happening across the country as UPS is focusing on fully using their bigger hubs.

I said my sources were only feeder drivers? Wow. Thats strange because if you reread my last post you'll clearly see otherwise. Go ahead and check for yourself. :happy: I know better than to rely on the feeder driver rumor network.

Anyhow....the "conditions" you mentioned were the same. And those conditions pertain strictly to CPU work and the problem is that when Whites Creek comes into other buildings's areas for CPU work its ok. Most, if not all, grievances by those other buildings are shot down in flames. But if one of those buildings comes into Whites Creek's area the same grievance is filed by Whites Creek and won. There have been plenty of grievances by the smaller buildings (including a large stack of them by another member of this board) in the past to fight this but no matter how they are worded and not matter what articles are cited as being violated they are all shot down. What's good for one building should apply to all in the local. And just because it's happening nationwide doesn't make it right.
We pay our dues just like the hub does, yet, are treated like a bunch of scabs. This unfair practice is costing the other buildings extra work, CPU/package work, and even full-time feeder jobs. As bargaining unit employees if we see favoritism by management it is often combated by filing under "Management Employee Relations" but when it's our own local doing this what is our recourse? Especially when we all know that the local is going to have the hub's interests in mind because because of the voting base in that building and that management will most likely want to keep things the way they are. You can bet the local won't hesitate to side with management on the issue. And Poof!.....the grievance is thrown out. We shouldn't have to seek a labor attorney for things that our local should be solving. That is pathetic.

Last edited:

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Scab was originally a term used for someone who worked a Union member's job while they were on strike. It's morphed to mean someone who goes against what's best for Union members.