Scam!

T

traveler

I do hope all the readers of this board know a scam when they see one. Below is a copy of an e-mail I just received. This is one of the oldest ones around but apparently some people still fall for it... beware!

ATTN:

DR. LAMBERT GUEI

AMSTERDAM. THE NETHERLANDS

TELL: .........................

E-MAIL: [email protected]

URGENT ASSISTANCE

I AM DR. LAMBERT GUEI, THE FIRST SON OF LATE ROBERT GUEI, EX-MILITRY HEAD OF STATE OF IVORY COAST WHO WAS MURDERED ALONG WITH THE INTIRIOR MINISTER ON THE 19TH OF SEPTEMBER 2002. i CONTACTED YOU BECAUSE OF MY NEED TO DEAL WITH PERSON WHICH MY FAMILY AND I HAVE HAD NO PREVIOUS RELATIONSHIP WITH. SINCE THE MURDER OF MY FATHER, I HAVE BEEN SUBJECTED TO ALL SORT OF HARRASSMENT AND INTIMIDATION WITH LOTS OF NEGATIVE REPORTS EMANATING FROM THE GOVERNMENT AND THE PRESS ABOUT MY FAMILY. THE PRESENT GOVERNMENT OF LAURENT GBAGBO HAS ALSO ENSURE THAT OUR BANK ACCOUNT ARE FROZEN AND ALL ASSET SEIZED.

IT IS IN VIEW OF THIS THAT I SEEK YOUR COOPORATION AND ASSISTANCE IN THE TRANSFER OF THE SUM OF TWENTY FIVE MILLION UNITED STATE DOLLARS ($25M) BEEN THE VERY LAST OF MY FAMILY FUND IN MY POSSESION AND CONTROL. AFTER THE MURDER OF MY FATHER, THE PRESENT GOVENRMENT SEIZED ALL OUR PROPERTIES AND FROZE ALL OUR ACCOUNTS BOTH LOCAL AND INTERNATIONAL.

MY ONLY HOPE NOW, IS THE CASH MY FATHER CAREFULY PACKAGE AS ACTIFACTS WITH A SECURITY FINANCE COMPANY OUT SIDE IVORY COAST. THIS SUM OF TWENTY FIVE MILLION UNITED STATE DOLLARS ($25M) CAN EASLY BE WITHDRAWN OR PAID TO A RECOMMENDED BENEFICIARY. THE SECURITY COMPANY BASED ON MY INSRUCTION WILL RELEASED THE FUND TO YOU. YOU ARE TO BE PRESENTED AS MY BUSINESS PARTNER WHO WILL BE FRONTING FOR ME IN SUBSIQUENT VENTURES. AND INTRUTH, YOU WILL BE FRONTING FOR ME IN THE AREAS YOU DEEM PROFITABLE.

TO SHOW MY PREPAREDNESS AND APRECIATION TO CONDUCT THIS BUSINESS WITH YOU, I SHALL GIVE YOU AND YOUR FAMILY 20% OF THE TOTAL FUND AND 10% FOR ALL THE EXPENSES INCURED DURING THIS TRANSACTION. ALSO 5% WILL BE FOR YOU FOR ANY PROFIT REALIZE FROM INVESTMENT OF THIS FUNDS IN YOUR COUNTRY WHILE 65% WILL BE FOR MY FAMILY AND ME.

PLEASE I NEED YOUR FULL SURPORT AND COOPORATION FOR THE SUCCESS OF THIS VENTURE. I PLEAD WITH YOU TO TREAT AS URGENT AND CONFIDENTIAL. THIS IS A SENSITIVE ISSUE WHICH DEMANDS HIGH DEGREE OF SECRECY, YOU SHOULD PLEASE HAVE MY CURRENT POLITICAL STATUE IN MIND.

ALSO ENDEAOUR TO FORWARD ALL CORRESPONDENCE TO MY E-MAIL ADDRESS IF YOU PROVE YOU SELF TO BE INTRESTED AND TRUST WORTHY THAT AT THE END YOU WILL NOT RUN WITH THE WHOLE FUNDS. CONTACT MET SO THAT I FEED YOU WITH THE DETAILS AND MODALITIES INVOLVE.

PRESENTLY, I AM IN THE NETHERLANDS AS AN ASYLUM SEEKER, I AWAIT YOUR IMMDIATE RESPONSE.

SINCERELY YOURS

DR. LAMBERT GUEI

R

rckfrd98

I got the same email. I responded by asking him for $500k to help me bail my mafia uncle out of jail. No response HMMMM!!!

C

charlie

The outcome of one of these scams............

Charlie

08:27 AM Feb. 21, 2003 PT

A notorious e-mail scam has resulted in the murder of a Nigerian diplomat in the Czech Republic.

Fifty-year-old Michael Lekara Wayid, Nigeria's consul in the Czech Republic, was shot dead by an unidentified 72-year-old Czech at the Nigerian Embassy in Prague on Wednesday.

According to police reports, the suspect was a victim of the 419 scam, a thriving industry that employs thousands of people around the world. The scammers successfully manage to extort money from thousands of victims by promising them compensation for assistance in moving funds from foreign countries to banks in the United States.

The criminals typically make their money by extracting ever-escalating sums of money for bribes, bank fees and the like from their "business partners," that is, the folks they scam. But according to early reports in Nigerian and Czech newspapers, the gunman's bank account was drained after he gave the account number and other personal details to someone posing as a senior Nigerian official.

It is not known whether the suspect was contacted by e-mail or other means. The 419 scams were carried out by postal mail until the advent of e-mail, but, according to FBI reports, most 419 scams are now conducted, at least in the early stages, by e-mail.

According Nigerian newspaper reports, the suspect arrived at the embassy and said he needed to discuss a business matter. He was referred to Wayid. Soon afterward, an embassy receptionist heard raised voices followed by shots and went to investigate.

The receptionist was then reportedly shot in the hand, but managed to flee and call embassy security, who detained the suspect until police arrived.

The suspect was arrested and is now hospitalized at Prague's Central Military Hospital after collapsing at the scene. The receptionist is also being treated at the same hospital. Both are expected to recover.

Nigerian newspaper This Day reports that the shooter had visited the embassy "regularly over the past year" in an attempt to recover the money he had lost.

"This is the first time such a thing has happened to Nigeria in any of our embassies abroad.... The Czech ambassador to Nigeria has been summoned," said Dubem Onyia, Nigerias minister of state for foreign affairs, in a statement.

Onyia said that in light of the incident, security at Nigerias foreign offices would be reviewed.

T

traveler

I wish I had the mind that guy has. I'm sure he's the life of the party where ever he goes. Funniest set of letters back and forth I've ever seen on the subject.