Scan help if possible

Pkay

Sorry if this is against any rules on the site, however I figure you guys to be the most educated source on the net.

My company had 2 packages sent out on Friday that contained some very important legal documents. Our employee sent them out on Friday at around noon with Saturday delivery option. Alas, saturday came and went and no packages. Talked to UPS and they assured me it was just a freak delay and it was at my local center and would be delivered by 1030am monday morning.

However I just checked up on the scans and they're now back in Louisville kentucky?

Can you guys help me out and let me know what may be going on? These documents are fairly important and if for some reason they aren't going to be here I need to plan ahead.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I appreciate your help and thank you for the hard work you guys do on a daily basis :p

Package one

8/30/2009 1:11:00 PM LOCATION SCAN LOUISVILLE, KY US
8/29/2009 8:xx:00 AM UNLOAD SCAN BELTON, TX US
8/29/2009 8:xx:00 AM ARRIVAL SCAN BELTON, TX US
8/29/2009 8:xx:00 AM DEPARTURE SCAN
8/29/2009 8:xx:00 AM ARRIVAL SCAN
8/29/2009 7:xx:00 AM DEPARTURE SCAN DALLAS/FT. WORTH A/P, TX US
8/29/2009 6:xx:00 AM LOCATION SCAN DALLAS/FT. WORTH A/P, TX US
8/29/2009 6:xx:00 AM UNLOAD SCAN DALLAS/FT. WORTH A/P, TX US
8/29/2009 5:xx:00 AM ARRIVAL SCAN DALLAS/FT. WORTH A/P, TX US
8/29/2009 4:xx:00 AM DEPARTURE SCAN LOUISVILLE, KY US
8/29/2009 2:xx:00 AM LOCATION SCAN LOUISVILLE, KY US
8/29/2009 1:xx:00 AM UNLOAD SCAN LOUISVILLE, KY US
8/29/2009 12:xx:00 AM ARRIVAL SCAN LOUISVILLE, KY US

Package 2

8/30/2009 12:33:00 PM LOCATION SCAN LOUISVILLE, KY US
8/29/2009 2:xx:00 AM UNLOAD SCAN LOUISVILLE, KY US
8/29/2009 2:xx:00 AM ARRIVAL SCAN LOUISVILLE, KY US

NHDRVR

I wish a simple answer could do the trick but a pkg being held or looped in transit could be due to 10 different things.

This is a guess but where they went back to Louisville, and someone from that center could do a better job than I explaining this, it sounds like a simple missort or they decided to hold a container for what ever reason.

This doesn't help you (sorry) but I would guess they will be there on Monday. I am actually surprised that an attempt wasn't made on them. Contrary to our attitudes here we do know our company does a pretty damn good job getting things where they need to go.

Pkay

A few questions...

Usually my packages go straight from Lousiville to Austin but i guess saturday delivery it went to DFW. The last location scan was in DFW correct?

If it didn't make it from DFW---> My local city would it then be shipped back to Louisville for another flight out? Or did it just never leave Lousiville all together?

Does ups do a Sunday night flight for monday morning delivery? Or would all of those packages have been flown in on Friday? Find it odd it was just scanned an hour ago in Lousiville.

Thanks again for any help you can provide. You guys are great :p

Dustyroads

The scan times don't look right that you have posted. I think if you post the tracking numbers that a member of management here could run the numbers and an exception would be noted as to why the package wasn't delivered on Saturday.

Pkay

Well they're both apparently now on the way to Dallas (per the scans)

I guess they apparently were in KY and missed their planes to Dallas then? My only guess

spif91

Do u know for a fact ur zipcode is a Sat delivery zip? We have pkgs come in every Sat morning with Sat stickers on them going to little podunct towns 50 miles from the center that r no Sat guarenteed. They r delivered on Mon but not sent back to Louisville. Did u post the tracking # of 1 of the pkgs?

sdf6hr2

this apperars to be a PLIB situation. pkgs. can be scanned to a container but not actually make it into said container. the scanning trail for the container will continue to 'logically' pull your pkg. along with it until walk-off or housekeeping finds the pkg. where it is not supposed to be. an exception scan will be then be made at start of next sort. voila, pkg. back in louisville.

Kraetos

Preload, Loader
If we knew what was in the packages we could ship them faster! Tell me I need to know what these documents contain!!!!

tworavens

JuniorMember for 24 Years
this apperars to be a PLIB situation. pkgs. can be scanned to a container but not actually make it into said container. the scanning trail for the container will continue to 'logically' pull your pkg. along with it until walk-off or housekeeping finds the pkg. where it is not supposed to be. an exception scan will be then be made at start of next sort. voila, pkg. back in louisville.

In English, please, not UPS-ese, so the original poster can make some sense out of that? 25 years with UPS, and I'm still not exactly sure what you said...:confused2:

Pkay

I got the packages yesterday, both were marked saturday deliery (and yes my area gets them) however both had large folds in the middle of the package. Perhaps they had a rough trip in Kentucky? Regardless we had them at 930 on monday and thats good enough for me :p

sdf6hr2

sorry, i didn't think it was that bad. here goes with a partial translation...

"PLIB" = pkg. left in building

"'logically' pull the pkg. along"= the tracking system relies on elementary logic principles for most (i think) of its info... example:

pkg. A loaded into can B; can B loaded into aircraft C; a/c C departs airport D:

ups assumes pkg. A has departed airport D. although pkg. A was only physically scanned once, we generally assume it has departed airport D using logic and logical scans.

now, when a loader misses loading a scanned pkg. into a container (or feeder for that matter) the scanning system still assumes the scanned pkg. is loaded in the container until 'proven wrong'.

the only way to prove the scanning system 'wrong' is with another physical scan. which is why i assume the pkgs. in question were PLIBs. it is the easiest way to explain the TX to louisville "jump". the pkgs. actually never left louisville... its like the scanning sys. fell for a 'three card monty' or a killer head fake.

they were scanned again Sun. morning and i'm sure made it thru Sun. sort and delivered 1st thing Mon. morning...

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I got the packages yesterday, both were marked saturday deliery (and yes my area gets them) however both had large folds in the middle of the package. Perhaps they had a rough trip in Kentucky? Regardless we had them at 930 on monday and thats good enough for me :p

Check your bill to see if you were charged for Saturday delivery or just Next Day air. Saturday delivery does have a surcharge per package (used to be $10, not sure what it is now) which should be listed separately on your bill. If you were charged for Saturday call the toll free # to request a refund. Sorry for your inconvenience.

Dustyroads

I believe the billing for saturday air is only activated when the package is actually delivered on that day, in a "saturday diad". I believe the system automatically will bill this at regular next day air rates. We see this some in rural areas where packages are sent for saturday delivery, but we do not provide saturday service there. Although the customer may have initially had the saturday rate on their computer, it would have been adjusted and billed for monday delivery, automatically.

whiskey

Sorry if this is against any rules on the site, however I figure you guys to be the most educated source on the net.

My company had 2 packages sent out on Friday that contained some very important legal documents. Our employee sent them out on Friday at around noon with Saturday delivery option. Alas, saturday came and went and no packages. Talked to UPS and they assured me it was just a freak delay and it was at my local center and would be delivered by 1030am monday morning.

However I just checked up on the scans and they're now back in Louisville kentucky?

Can you guys help me out and let me know what may be going on? These documents are fairly important and if for some reason they aren't going to be here I need to plan ahead.

Thanks for any help you can provide. I appreciate your help and thank you for the hard work you guys do on a daily basis :p

Package one

8/30/2009 1:11:00 PM LOCATION SCAN LOUISVILLE, KY US
8/29/2009 1:xx:00 AM UNLOAD SCAN LOUISVILLE, KY US
8/29/2009 12:xx:00 AM ARRIVAL SCAN LOUISVILLE, KY US

Package 2

8/30/2009 12:33:00 PM LOCATION SCAN LOUISVILLE, KY US
8/29/2009 2:xx:00 AM UNLOAD SCAN LOUISVILLE, KY US
8/29/2009 2:xx:00 AM ARRIVAL SCAN LOUISVILLE, KY US

Friday was the 28th.

tworavens

JuniorMember for 24 Years
sorry, i didn't think it was that bad. here goes with a partial translation...

"PLIB" = pkg. left in building

"'logically' pull the pkg. along"= the tracking system relies on elementary logic principles for most (i think) of its info... example:

pkg. A loaded into can B; can B loaded into aircraft C; a/c C departs airport D:

ups assumes pkg. A has departed airport D. although pkg. A was only physically scanned once, we generally assume it has departed airport D using logic and logical scans.

now, when a loader misses loading a scanned pkg. into a container (or feeder for that matter) the scanning system still assumes the scanned pkg. is loaded in the container until 'proven wrong'.

the only way to prove the scanning system 'wrong' is with another physical scan. which is why i assume the pkgs. in question were PLIBs. it is the easiest way to explain the TX to louisville "jump". the pkgs. actually never left louisville... its like the scanning sys. fell for a 'three card monty' or a killer head fake.

they were scanned again Sun. morning and i'm sure made it thru Sun. sort and delivered 1st thing Mon. morning...

Thanks for that clarification. Interesting about the "logical scan", I had heard my OMS talk about that sometimes and wasn't sure what she meant. I had always thought that a package would have to be scanned before being loaded in order to show as a departure scan, but I guess the computer knows best. Just like how it knows what my planned day is supposed to be:happy2: