Scariest Moment

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
What's the scariest moment you've had in your UPS career? I'm talking sphincter puckering, holy crap moments.

Mine was on a rural route in the winter on a long driveway in the woods. Any driver who runs a rural route has likely had at least one time where the truck was sliding on ice and you temporarily had limited control of the truck, but one time the truck actually not only started sliding backwards down an icy hill, it actually turned sideways and I was in a sideways skid down the hill in a 700. Talk about scary stuff.

My runner up was when I worked inside and was working pickoff 30 feet above the ground with another guy. I had stopped the belt to go break a jam and when I was about to climb off the belt the guy I was working with started the belt back up prematurely. I fell sideways onto the metal grating when my feet came out from under me, getting pretty bruised up but my head just barely missed hitting the steel catwalk. Had my head hit that at how fast I was falling sideways, I likely would have broken my neck or been brain damaged (moreso than normal).

What is your scariest moment?

ogrelord

Ground Down
Our building is old. We still hand crank slide from the 70s. I was cranking this slide up and the cable broke and it from over head to the ground. I didn't get touched but scared me pretty good.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Having a customer pull a .357 on me when I delivered to him at 10 pm. Me and the big boss man had words the next morning. Got caught in a tornado once too.

Ecw21411

I got my truck stuck, I had a guy backing up to my back bumper so we could chain up.i bent down to chain up and he kept backing he pinned my leg from my bumper to his luckily a guy watching scream for him to pull up I'm so lucky it didn't cut my leg ,for two years I didn't have feeling in my leg and I worked everyday like an idiot I didn't report it I didn't want to get the guy that was helping me in any trouble I'd have to say that was my scariest

Box Ox

A rainy peak season night in one of my neighborhoods. Was starting to cross the street in front of my package car. A car came flying out of nowhere on the left side before I could pivot to look up the road and came within inches of turning me into ground beef. If I'd been leaning forward it would have gotten me. Took my breath away.

Now I always keep my whole body in front of the P.C. and peek around the front driver side cover first as if Major Konig might be after me before doing the full look.

6a00d8341c4e3853ef0115709a87dd970c-pi

Knothead

Yep.
I had noticed that my brake pedal in my package car had been getting progressively soft and spongy, so I called the center and was told to keep going. Against my better judgement I followed instructions, and about 3 stops later the brakes completely failed and I ended up jumping a curb, going through some bushes and came to a stop against a palm tree. Definitely pinched a hole in the seat.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

A rainy peak season night in one of my neighborhoods. Was starting to cross the street in front of my package car. A car came flying out of nowhere on the left side before I could pivot to look up the road and came within inches of turning me into ground beef. If I'd been leaning forward it would have gotten me. Took my breath away.

Now I always keep my whole body in front of the P.C. and peek around the front driver side cover first as if Major Konig might be after me before doing the full look.

This is why you always cross behind the package car.

BrownTexas

Drove down a paved rural road once. Pup coyote came out of the high grass onto the road. I tapped the brakes to avoid it and turned slightly. It put me in a skid and sent me into the opposite ditch while rotating me 180 degrees. Ended up facing the direction I had been driving, covered in grass, on the opposite side. Restarted the pc, drove out, and continued on my way.

ManInBrown

I can honestly say I've never really had a scary moment. Nothing driving wise. A few shaken moments maybe. Running from a dog that played possum when I pulled up and waited for me to get deep on property before he showed himself or herself. Other then that really no close calls. I'm sure I will have one this week after posting this.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I was driving up a pretty steep snowy hill one day. Wheels were spinning but the truck was still going forward so kept giving it gas. I guess the package package car had some sort of safety shutoff and it died on me. Started sliding back down the hill. Cars parked on both sides. Puckered up good.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
I once completed a move in one of the yard mules and when I stepped off the vehicle, I hung my wedding band in the rain drip edge surrounding the cab. My foot was just inches from the ground, but I was stuck and the ring was cutting my finger to the bone. Was finally able to free myself. Ring was bent, finger swole up about 2x and I never wore it on the job again. Lucky I didn't lose it.

HardknocksUPSer

This is why you always cross behind the package car.
During peak I helped a driver who had a old P-1200 that would inch back on hills and then break into a roll away, I learned that I would not walk around the back of the truck, at times I had to stand on the brake while he found the package, I let off the brake and let him put his foot on the brake as I took mine off. Pretty ridiculous.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
During peak I helped a driver who had a old P-1200 that would inch back on hills and then break into a roll away, I learned that I would not walk around the back of the truck, at times I had to stand on the brake while he found the package, I let off the brake and let him put his foot on the brake as I took mine off. Pretty ridiculous.
That driver should of refused to take that truck out.