SCBA question

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by hubsnake6, Jun 13, 2009.

1. hubsnake6

hubsnake6 New Member

For all three of you Brown Cafe users out there who use SCBA in your job I have a question. I wear glasses for short sightedness and I remember in my training class and refresher course that UPS would pay for the spectacle inserts I would need to wear when using SCBA. I had given my supervisor my prescription over a year ago, and still have not received them. Every time I ask, I am given an excuse like, "I have sent your information in and have not heard back from so and so manager." I have not been adamant about it yet, since I had a supply of contact lenses to use while wearing the gear. But my supply has run out and I back to coming in always wearing glasses. My co-workers tell me that I will never receive them. A co-worker who gave his prescription five years ago has not received his either. To avoid a dispute with the boss, he goes without. However I feel that this may be unsafe for me to do. I don’t want to bring it to a safety grievance, but I feel that I may have to. Is there anyway you could suggest I could convince management to provide the prescription glasses, like sighting some law to them in a letter, or talking to someone in corporate? I know this is a tough one to answer, and goes to illustrate one of the many predicaments a Designated Responder is faced with at UPS.

2. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

I would go above the sups head directly to the manager. Tell him your sup has been giving you the run around for a year.
    Refuse to wear the SCBA. Obviously, this is a safety issue because you can't see well enough without the inserts.

3. hubsnake6

hubsnake6 New Member

Thanks overfive i agree. Do you think a safety grevience would resolve the situation too?