schedule work week question

hi everyone, 1st time posting here and hope to contribute to the boards.

ok, here my quick story for what the root of my question will be. i have a weekly schedule thats posted monday through friday. i never been schedule to work saturdays. but theres been some changes do to layoffs. i still have a weekly schedule thats posted monday through friday with start times. since full time certified D.O.T drivers have been laid off. some have elected to come in on saturday to drive to earn money. i havent elected that option, but the sup that operates saturdays operation. told me that thats ok, but whenever a "super saturday" like today was (mothers days) it would be mandatory.

no big deal. i dont mind it. only problem is since i dont normally work saturdays is that i totally forgot. i was told last week i would have to come. and i told them yeah, no problem. i told my buddies who work saturdays too that i was going to be coming today. i didnt remember untill my buddy called me after he was done delivering. thats how i knew i'd messed. ...so anyways to wrap up what happen and get to my question.

i believe that my work week schedule was still posted as reporting only monday through friday with start times, excluding saturday (im not sure if it was, but for now lets just say that it wasnt). now i take full responsibility for not showing up for work and will take a write up if its warranted.

so in conclusion, if on paper i wasnt schedule to report to work for "super saturday" today, and i wasnt told verbally the day before on friday (which i wasnt) to show up today. when management writes me up on monday (im expecting they will). will the no call no show hold merit???

thanks, Hands.

brownman15

ok, here my quick story for what the root of my question will be. i have a weekly schedule thats posted monday through friday. i never been schedule to work saturdays. but theres been some changes do to layoffs. i still have a weekly schedule thats posted monday through friday with start times. since full time certified D.O.T drivers have been laid off. some have elected to come in on saturday to drive to earn money. i havent elected that option, but the sup that operates saturdays operation. told me that thats ok, but whenever a "super saturday" like today was (mothers days) it would be mandatory.

no big deal. i dont mind it. only problem is since i dont normally work saturdays is that i totally forgot. i was told last week i would have to come. and i told them yeah, no problem. i told my buddies who work saturdays too that i was going to be coming today. i didnt remember untill my buddy called me after he was done delivering. thats how i knew i'd messed. ...so anyways to wrap up what happen and get to my question.

i believe that my work week schedule was still posted as reporting only monday through friday with start times, excluding saturday (im not sure if it was, but for now lets just say that it wasnt). now i take full responsibility for not showing up for work and will take a write up if its warranted.

so in conclusion, if on paper i wasnt schedule to report to work for "super saturday" today, and i wasnt told verbally the day before on friday (which i wasnt) to show up today. when management writes me up on monday (im expecting they will). will the no call no show hold merit???

thanks, Hands.

should not be written up but if you are then file a grievance

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This provides the basis as you were instructed that you were to report for any "Super Saturdays".

no big deal. i dont mind it. only problem is since i dont normally work saturdays is that i totally forgot. I was told last week i would have to come. and i told them yeah, no problem.

Self-explanatory.

i told my buddies who work saturdays too that i was going to be coming today.

i didnt remember untill my buddy called me after he was done delivering. thats how i knew i'd messed. ...

I think I would find a new "buddy". You didn't mention but I am surprised that your sup did not try to call you to see where you were.

so anyways to wrap up what happen and get to my question.

The write up will be warranted but if you have had no issues prior you will most likely receive just a verbal warning. You have already stated that you were instructed that you would be required to work on specific Saturdays.

Yes but I still think that, barring any previous issues, you will receive a verbal warning.

thanks, Hands.

thanks both brownman15 & UpstateNYUPSer for replying. even tho both respones are conflicting with one another. it looks like this case is really open for interpretation. depending on where you're sitting.

we have a Saturday list for tho's who want to work on Saturday who have the option of coming in that day (compared to thos who are penciled in). i've never put my name on that list and i again i believe i wasnt schedule to come in on my work week schedule. i havent had any previous attendances issues in years, especially in the passed 9 months. but i know how my management team works. they'll push for the no call no show warning letter if not possibly more. we'll see come Monday. and keep everyone posted.

and if they do approach me for the warning letter. even tho both were good replies and i like UpstateNYUPSer perspective on it. im going to take brownman15 advice if it happens. if there were more input for this thread. i would definitely have more confidence on what to do come Monday =) .

Hands.

thanks both brownman15 & UpstateNYUPSer for replying. even tho both respones are conflicting with on another. it looks like this case is really open for interpretation. depending on where you're sitting.

we have a Saturday list for tho's who want to work on Saturday who have the option of coming in that day (compared to thos who are penciled in). i've never put my name on that list and i again i believe i wasnt schedule to come in on my work week schedule. i havent had any previous attendances issues in years, especially in the passed 9 months. but i know how my management team works. they'll push for the no call no show warning letter if not possibly more. we'll see come Monday. and keep everyone posted.

and if they do approach me for the warning letter. even tho both were good reply and i like UpstateNYUPSer perspective on it. im going to take brownman15 advice if it happens. =)

Hands.

over9five

Staff member
no, "super saturday" is just a term managers here call a heavy volume day (more then usual/expected) for saturday deliveries.

Hands.

But you said, " but whenever a "super saturday" like today was (mothers days) it would be mandatory"

My question to him would be where is that in the contract?

over9five

Staff member
In other words, it sounds like they just made up this "super saturday" language on their own.
In that case, telling you it was mandatory for you to come in was a lie.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Handy, you are making this way too complicated.

You were verbally instructed that you were scheduled to work Super Saturday. You are not normally scheduled to work on Saturday so you forgot. Your buddy called you after (still don't know why either he or a sup didn't call you before) he had punched out. Yes, you will receive some form of discipline when you report to work on your next scheduled day (Monday?), but, as I said earlier, if you have no prior issues they will probably just give you a verbal warning. I have to believe that if they really needed you they would have made every effort to get in touch with you. I also believe that they will no longer schedule you for any Super Saturdays or regular Saturdays for that matter as a result of your forgetfulness but that is just my opinion. Chalk this up as a learning experience. Dave.

I have to agree with this. Although their made up "super Saturday" language is wholly bogus, you did agree to come in.

Take their verbal warning and apologize for your forgetfulness.

i read what u said UPstateNYUPSers and maybe ur right. im probably making it more complicated then what it is. i just dont want a warning letter in my file is all. i would glady take a verbal warning, over9five. but all i was asking does it merit a warning letter, because the next suit after a warning letter. if im tardy a minute over comes a 1 day suspension. and i obvioulsy dont want that. i am going to apologize for my irresponsibility. im going to try to talk to them if they can reduce it to a verbal warning since everything agreed upon was done verbally. so we'll see. thanks for chiming in.

Hands

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
i read what u said UPstateNYUPSers and maybe ur right. im probably making it more complicated then what it is. i just dont want a warning letter in my file is all. i would glady take a verbal warning, over9five. but all i was asking does it merit a warning letter, because the next suit after a warning letter. if im tardy a minute over comes a 1 day suspension. and i obvioulsy dont want that. i am going to apologize for my irresponsibility. im going to try to talk to them if they can reduce it to a verbal warning since everything agreed upon was done verbally. so we'll see. thanks for chiming in.

Hands
Before you do all of this talking, talk to your shop steward (stewart in some franchises:wink2:), let him/her do all the talking for you, this way you don't end up putting your foot in your mouth. JMHO