Scheduled Off Days

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by BlackJack616, Feb 22, 2016.

1. BlackJack616

BlackJack616 Active Member

How does your center deal with S/O days?
    Will they let cover drivers run your route if you want the day?

2. heybobby!

heybobby! Member

3. clean hairy

clean hairy Well-Known Member

Why worry about it?
    Enjoy your day off and let them figure out who covers your route!

4. rod

rod retired and happy

Don't worry about it---your route will be there when you get back------------------------------------- along with a lecture about how who ever ran it did such a bang up job and why can't you be that way.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. retiredTxfeeder

retiredTxfeeder cap'n crunch

Whenever I took a day off from this place....and I took a lot of them in my 38 years...The absolute last thing I ever thought about was how they ran my route while I was gone. You can't take this job home with you. That's why I never discussed work with my wife. She'd ask me how my day went at work and I always had the same reply. "It sucked."

6. BlackJack616

BlackJack616 Active Member

IF you are scheduled to work and a cover driver that knows your route is off, can you opt for a scheduled day to let the cover driver work or can they force you to work?

7. rod

rod retired and happy

When I took a vacation I always just assumed my route would be a total disaster when I got back. Send agains, can't locates, won't locates, customer complaints, driver follow ups, inside of truck a total disaster----very seldom was I disappointed.

8. ArcherUTR

ArcherUTR Active Member

I believe you have a right to work, not a right to a day off...unless you're exercising an option 3 day.

9. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Well-Known Member

There is always an issue when I'm off. Even for just one day. Commercial stops not reattempted during their posted business hours. No indirect attempts made on those businesses that could have been left with neighbors. Trash in the cargo area. Full trash can. Noises coming from the engine or other parts of the truck. Dolly is missing. Not enough fuel to make it through the day even though my truck is a gas truck and our center has gas pumps. And my personal favorite.......the cab and cargo area reeks of cigarette smoke and there are cigarette butts there.

Man I tell ya people can be nasty and inconsiderate scumbags. And it's worse when they are speed demon bonus babies.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

Depends on your supplement. In the Atlantic if they have extra drivers they have to let people go home in seniority order but not all supplements have that language.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

I call in sick when I want the day off. Why chance it?

12. MC4YOU2

MC4YOU2 Yep, not wearing brown anymore

Take a few sick days off and you'll increase the number of cover drivers that are trained on your route.

13. Nakya Odum

Nakya Odum New Member

Can I get some help on here??????

14. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

When I return I always smell the seat so I know who did the route.

15. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

Jesus..

16. moldsporh

moldsporh Active Member

Op.....not to sound rude....but I don't know why you asked the opening question? That's like asking.... Why do we have cover drivers??

The second question is a good one, generally you can ask to use a sick or personal for your layoff day.

Sorry, maybe I missed your point but it almost sounds like a April Fools day question.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Derail Derail x 1
    • List
  17. AirOnTrace

AirOnTrace Allergic to cardboard.

Maybe?

18. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Maybe?

19. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

Help with what?

20. moldsporh

moldsporh Active Member

How was my statement a derail? Seriously....lol.

Ok, sorry......when anyone takes a day off the route just sits and gets delivered when you return.

Was I then only one who thought the question was missing some key points? How would someone seriously answer it?