School schedule

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Okay i will take going to HR into consideration as many here suggest to talk to the higher ups and what not.

The reason why I ask this is because I want to know the procedure and if it is supposed to be done on a regular basis. Okay well there are many kinds of people in this world and I tend to be the one that wants to have substantial knowledge about anything, especially if it is something I do everyday. Plus, being knowledgeably about these things are always beneficial and in no way have no adverse effect.
I also want to work for a company that abides by the law and not to be above the law.
Article 6 of the Master, read it and be enlightened that you and your old sup had nothing, as a result you have nothing to stand on.

xwtfmatex

Article 6 of the Master, read it and be enlightened that you and your old sup had nothing, as a result you have nothing to stand on.
That is correct. Well that is very inconvenient because I would really want to keep working at this company while pursing an education. My only hope is to find some labor laws through the federal government or state laws that provides flexible work schedule. Another thing that I read on the local contract is that part time workers are subjected to pay and a half if they work over 5 hours, and a time and a half for ALL hours worked over 8. I have been working at UPS for almost three years and I know for a fact that they do not do this. They give us OT pay for hours worked after our 6 only and if we do go over 8 hours, we do not get the full time and a half for all hours worked.

xwtfmatex

Also, if all else fails, my only option would be to use all my option days, vacation days, sick days, and optional week until it runs dry huh? I have like a month and a a week left of the semester.

PT Car Washer

Also, if all else fails, my only option would be to use all my option days, vacation days, sick days, and optional week until it runs dry huh? I have like a month and a a week left of the semester.
Most of the employees on my buildings Day Sort only work 4 days a week. Your manager can work with you and your school schedule just as long as it does not interfere with the operation. I would think most of your co workers would want the extra time.

xwtfmatex

Most of the employees on my buildings Day Sort only work 4 days a week. Your manager can work with you and your school schedule just as long as it does not interfere with the operation. I would think most of your co workers would want the extra time.
My coworker who is below me in seniority enjoys my absence. The workload fluctuates and we have just got a new hire. Even so, since this is prohibited by the master contract, I am at a loss.

PT Car Washer

My coworker who is below me in seniority enjoys my absence. The workload fluctuates and we have just got a new hire. Even so, since this is prohibited by the master contract, I am at a loss.
Just as long as no one files over it you should be fine. There is a lot of deal making going on in the hubs. And not just the hubs either.

box_beeyotch

I understand why a sup would allow you to have those days off being as its for educational purposes, but it is prohibited. Now as far as your school schedule, you knew you have a 5 day work week and chose to sign up for classes that interfere with that schedule. No disrespect, but if you can't show up to work on time everyday (pending an emergency, illness, or extenuating circumstances), you shouldn't be entitled to the job. I would hope you choose your schedule a little wiser next semester.

xwtfmatex

I understand why a sup would allow you to have those days off being as its for educational purposes, but it is prohibited. Now as far as your school schedule, you knew you have a 5 day work week and chose to sign up for classes that interfere with that schedule. No disrespect, but if you can't show up to work on time everyday (pending an emergency, illness, or extenuating circumstances), you shouldn't be entitled to the job. I would hope you choose your schedule a little wiser next semester.
Yes I know that the school schedule did interfere with my work schedule. However, I've been scheduling my school around my job schedule besides this incident. The class that i needed to transfer is only available at night.

PT Car Washer

We have guys that work one or two days a week in the hub. Don't even get their 750 hours a year for retirement most years. All depends on the operational needs of the company.

clean hairy

The attitude of many of the members here are depressing.. First I get attacked for asking on advice/tips, then many reply with their sarcasm. To top it off, many are quick to jump to conclusions when I simply ask how the procedure is done for drug testing. So if I want to know what my rights are as a citizen, does that make me an immigrant?
I might br wrong here, but those who want to know where DWI Checkpoints are, would be the ones who are afraid of being found out to be under the influence?
Seems that would be the same school of thought with those concerned about drug tests.
I don't drink and drive, so DWI checkpoints are of no concern to me. as a drug test is of no concern to me.

PT Car Washer

I might br wrong here, but those who want to know where DWI Checkpoints are, would be the ones who are afraid of being found out to be under the influence?
Seems that would be the same school of thought with those concerned about drug tests.
I don't drink and drive, so DWI checkpoints are of no concern to me. as a drug test is of no concern to me.
Where I am at, DWI check points are not legal. However the DNR does set up game check points for illegal hunting every Fall.

xwtfmatex

Those checkpoints are annoying and sometimes time consuming. Why wouldn't it be beneficial to know where to avoid, especially if those checkpoints are on a very busy street? Another thing is that, since they stopped you, they can make bull:censored2: like probably cause to search your car.

Ive had a cop pull me over and start questioning me for driving on an empty street where he was parked and had no lights on. He questioned me and asked for Identification, my reason for my travel, and why my eyes were pink and why I was squinting. He had his flashlight shining on my pupils and kept questioning me over and over again. 15 minutes later, he let me go.
I know this doesn't pertain to checkpoints specificaly but if he pulled me over for simply driving on an empty street, what would happen on those checkpoints if he really did want to search? I abide by the laws, but I do not enjoy time wasted.

xwtfmatex

So my guess here is that people saying if you are innocent, you shouldn't be concerned. All I wanted was to know the procedure and not to start arguments but there is so many flaws with the replies. I hope to ensure others that there is nothing wrong with having sufficient information about things, especially when it is relevant to your job! Not everybody wishes to know about something just to avoid something!!

YellowSox

Yes I know that the school schedule did interfere with my work schedule. However, I've been scheduling my school around my job schedule besides this incident. The class that i needed to transfer is only available at night.
I've had coworkers in the past have issues with a night class once a week and some were able to take that one day off a week for the semester, others were told to transfer to midnight. I guess it all depends who your boss is, if they like you, etc. I was never too worried about those people. School is important and sometimes colleges have classes in some wacky inconvenient time slots that conflict with UPS.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

My only hope is to find some labor laws through the federal government or state laws that provides flexible work schedule.
Good luck. Because they don't exist.
They give us OT pay for hours worked after our 6 only and if we do go over 8 hours, we do not get the full time and a half for all hours worked.
Sigh. You're an adult and you don't know how overtime works? You don't get OT for all hours worked. You paid OT for all time over 5. Your first 5 will always be at straight time..

You're SOL. I'm with the sup, you shouldn't get the time off. I got screwed last year because the sup I took my sort over from allowed people to do it. Never again. You signed up for a 5 day a week job, unfortunately for you it means you have to work it.

xwtfmatex

Good luck. Because they don't exist.

Sigh. You're an adult and you don't know how overtime works? You don't get OT for all hours worked. You paid OT for all time over 5. Your first 5 will always be at straight time..

You're SOL. I'm with the sup, you shouldn't get the time off. I got screwed last year because the sup I took my sort over from allowed people to do it. Never again. You signed up for a 5 day a week job, unfortunately for you it means you have to work it.

ARTICLE 49 - PART-TIME EMPLOYEES
SECTION 1
(A) Part-time employees are defined as employees not otherwise
regularly employed who when reporting to work as scheduled, shall
be guaranteed a minimum of three and one half (3-1/2) hours; however,
should any part-time employee in the case of emergency work
beyond the fifth (5th) hour, the employee shall be paid time and one
half (1-1/2) for all hours worked past the fifth (5th) hour per shift.
Part-time employees working in excess of eight (8) hours in any
twenty-four (24) hour period shall receive time and one half (1-1/2)
for all hours worked over eight (8) hours, at the rate of pay prevailing
at the time the overtime is worked.

Yes you are correct, I read that wrong.