Schools = prison?

moreluck

golden ticket member
Moreluck verses Upstate or Upstate verses Moreluck.

The stars and planets have re-aligned and all is back to normal at BC. Does this leave RoadRunner odd man out or will this become a 3 some?
There is no contest........nothing to see here, move along !

trickpony1

I guess relevance is in the eye of the beholder. Getting something for nothing....like trophies for the losers......is exactly what my example shows. The Nobel Peace Prize for doing nothing!!!...That's not a real life example for kids either. So my point IS relevant.....maybe you don't like my example....too bad!

While we're at it, we should give Obama the Heisman Trophy also.
I'm sure he deserves it........

roadrunner2012

Four hours in the mod queue for a news link
Troll
Moreluck verses Upstate or Upstate verses Moreluck.

The stars and planets have re-aligned and all is back to normal at BC. Does this leave RoadRunner odd man out or will this become a 3 some?

Moreluck is a lot of work. Fact checking is tough enough, stupid cat pictures to counter her stupid cartoons is a bridge too far.

When are you moving to Detroit? The homesteading is great and the violence is way down lately. It's a Libertarian paradise. You can squat in a block, and be totally self sufficient, just like Somalia, but no passport needed, and good water.

trickpony1

Moreluck is a lot of work. Fact checking is tough enough, stupid cat pictures to counter her stupid cartoons is a bridge too far.

When are you moving to Detroit? The homesteading is great and the violence is way down lately. It's a Libertarian paradise. You can squat in a block, and be totally self sufficient, just like Somalia, but no passport needed, and good water.

.....and you can make tons of money selling nickel and dime bags.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I guess relevance is in the eye of the beholder. Getting something for nothing....like trophies for the losers......is exactly what my example shows. The Nobel Peace Prize for doing nothing!!!...That's not a real life example for kids either. So my point IS relevant.....maybe you don't like my example....too bad!
No, that's beauty....please don't mangle quotes, it hurts my eyes!! Actually, relevance is determined by the listener (or reader), not the one speaking. Non-competitive sports is not about getting something for nothing. It's a play on a utopian concept of bolstering kids' self esteem regardless of their skill level or ability. Which does very little to prepare them for the real world which doesn't coddle their feelings. Prime example, the 1-800-They're picking on me thread lol. Dave was correct, your post was pointless....

bbsam

Staff member
The same argument could be made for "participation awards" and sports in which they don't keep score.

That's true to a certain extent but I see something valuable in it. I couldn't tell you what my kids soccer records were this season. I was at every one of their games and I know we won some and lost some. They won a couple tournaments but none of that matters. What matters is the development of each player in skill and in execution as team players. My oldest son has become a very good goalie and has decent skills as a midfielder. As a goalie he has always been good at "shaking it off" when scored on and setting up for the next play. As a midfielder he gets locked into trying to score too much and not passing. Neither of those attributes or deficiencies have anything to do with the score and at only 11 years old (this Thursday) he will be on many teams in the future, some good, some not so good. Yeah, we want to win but more than that we want to become players.

moreluck

golden ticket member
No, that's beauty....please don't mangle quotes, it hurts my eyes!! Actually, relevance is determined by the listener (or reader), not the one speaking. Non-competitive sports is not about getting something for nothing. It's a play on a utopian concept of bolstering kids' self esteem regardless of their skill level or ability. Which does very little to prepare them for the real world which doesn't coddle their feelings. Prime example, the 1-800-They're picking on me thread lol. Dave was correct, your post was pointless....
I used the quote my way.......reconstructed to fit my point. It reminds me of a mangled quote on a TV ad that" hurts my ears"......I don't even know what they are selling but it says "Wake up and smell the roses".....ouch, that hurts!!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
That's true to a certain extent but I see something valuable in it. I couldn't tell you what my kids soccer records were this season. I was at every one of their games and I know we won some and lost some. They won a couple tournaments but none of that matters. What matters is the development of each player in skill and in execution as team players. My oldest son has become a very good goalie and has decent skills as a midfielder. As a goalie he has always been good at "shaking it off" when scored on and setting up for the next play. As a midfielder he gets locked into trying to score too much and not passing. Neither of those attributes or deficiencies have anything to do with the score and at only 11 years old (this Thursday) he will be on many teams in the future, some good, some not so good. Yeah, we want to win but more than that we want to become players.

both those things have a ton to do with the score. I do feel sorry for u having to watch that much soccer though.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I want to know the score. I want to know who wins and who loses. I want to celebrate with the winners. I want to commiserate with the losers.

It prepares them for life. Not everyone who applies for the job will get it. Not everyone will make the dean's list or honor roll. Not everyone gets a trophy.....but seeing it awarded will make them try harder next time. When your bowling team gets the cellar trophy, the embarrassment is short lived and it teaches you to lose graciously.

wkmac

Excerpt from the book "The Underground History of American Education" by former NY City Public School Teacher John Taylor Gatto entitled "I Quit, I Think".

John Taylor Gatto's Resignation: I Quit. I Think - YouTube

If you want to see the entire 5 video series of excerpts from Gatto's book, you can see them here. As a former teacher, Teacher of the Year, Gatto's perspective is thought provoking to the subject of education.