Scratch by June

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Re: Loyalty is Laid to Rest; Grave is Next to Partnership’s; RIP My Old Friends

As far as negotiations, I think those in management that have this need to stop the us vs them attitude. When negotiating, we are trying to get what we think we should have. I wish someone could explain why that is a bad thing?

I certainly don't think it is a bad thing ... those who are in a position to negotiate should try and get all they can.

When the Teamsters negotiate for the union work force at UPS, they do so (compensation or money wise) as one bucket of money.
Then the two sides sit down and work out the numbers as to how that money will be split up between the various job classifications and compensation buckets for each of those job classifications.

I think perhaps it is lack of understanding how the negotiations are structured that throws people. Think of it as a balloon filled full with water .... you squeeze one side and the other side gets bigger but the amount of water stays the same.

Union officials are essentially politicians so they react to the people that vote. In the past (and probably this time around as well) full-timers vote very heavily and part-timers very light. I imagine that unless full-timers tell the Union folks that they want the part-timers to be taken care of at their own expense, part-timers will come up short again.
It's the same every contract and I see no reason to think human nature will be different this time.

menotyou

bella amicizia

I can't agree more. I understand all too well the political aspect of these elections. My father was a BA in the Carpenter's, whose structure is a bit different than the Teamsters. The BA is the head guy. Dad is extremely logical. He has no use for butt-kissing. He almost lost his job and was back pounding nails because of his nature. He still refused to pander. I am very proud of my dad. My view in unions is they are there because there is a need. Period. I wish there wasn't a need. But, I know all too well there is. Now more than ever.

I am not proud of my union officials. But, you can't get people to vote. That is a huge problem. Nothing will change, as far as the pt'ers go, if they don't vote. Period.

I get irritated, though, when we as a work force, are looked down upon because we want to be paid for UPS to destroy our bodies. That is how I interpreted that post. If I am wrong, I apologize.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid

Im just saying that if an outside company went out and timed us and everything we did we would probably gain time..not like that would EVER happen in 100 years since ups has a world class IE department that has won numerous awards and are top in their field...ok im starting to sound like the upstate guy.

The so-called time studies that our "world class IE dapartment" does were never intended to be fair or realistic in the first place. They were carefully and meticulously designed to create a "standard" that can only be met by working off of the clock. They are a scam. Manipulating employees into working off of the clock is the foundation of UPS's entire business model, and has been for decades.

AKCoverMan

This is just one way I can tell a driver is overallowed :

At the drivers first stop, customer tells me the driver is a great guy/gal....

So if the customer likes the ups guy, apparently you view this as a bad thing. Sad.

menotyou

bella amicizia

So if the customer likes the ups guy, apparently you view this as a bad thing. Sad.
I can see where you could infer that. I just don't think that is what Dragon meant. I am thinking he meant the guy isn't hustling, as he has time to chat and get to know the customer. From a center manager's POV, that probably isn't the thing you really want to hear when looking into an over allowed situation. I know I would be more than happy to work for Dragon. He's a pretty fair guy. :bigsmile2:

brownelf

if this is what's happening on a year prior to contract negotations when its always been a time for management to mend fences, can we all imagine what the negotations will bring? Start saving your money people we may have a few weeks off next August.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

if this is what's happening on a year prior to contract negotations when its always been a time for management to mend fences, can we all imagine what the negotations will bring? Start saving your money people we may have a few weeks off next August.

A strike in this financial climate would be political suicide for the Teamsters and financial suicide for the company.

Indecisi0n

I haven't been here a long time but I think there are a lot of things that need to be dealt with. The most important ( at least to my center) is working us to the #@$@$ bone. We are down like 6 people because of injuries and these 11 days everyday blows. On top of that when you do get done "early," around 7:00PM you are still asked to go help other people. Its exhausting sometimes.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.

I dont make it a habit of telling my customers I have too much work.What good would it do?Besides that, if they did tell you that that the driver did have too much work, how would that affect his/her dispatch? The time allowances are not set up to make the driver look good on paper. They are set up to hopefully keep the driver overallowed every day because in mgmt mentality,a driver that is running scratch is not going faster but one that is overallowed is.

HULKAMANIA

AGREED!!! Then management wonders why sales leads dont get turned in? Gee if we arent allowed to talk to customers in fear of being "nice people" then screw it. Management always blows out of both sides of their mouths.

bluehdmc

This is just one way I can tell a driver is overallowed :

At the drivers first stop, customer tells me the driver is a great guy/gal....

I have never had a customer tell me that the driver has too much work or I am working them to hard, hmmmm go figure...

We may not get to scratch but we might see it in the distance...:bag:

Maybe the CUSTOMER is just trying to give some positive rep to the driver??????

What other contact does a customer have with the company but when a supervisor is accompanying the driver?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I haven't been here a long time but I think there are a lot of things that need to be dealt with. The most important ( at least to my center) is working us to the #@$@$ bone. We are down like 6 people because of injuries and these 11 days everyday blows. On top of that when you do get done "early," around 7:00PM you are still asked to go help other people. Its exhausting sometimes.

Then stop getting done early.

Indecisi0n

Then stop getting done early.

I agree with you 100% and I don't run. Even when you get done at 7 and have pick up pieces they still want you to help people and be back at center by 8:00 for air. It makes no sense at all. I feel bad when people are behind and I always help but I really think I'm going to start saying no.

Can the company force you to help ?

bigblu 2 you

I agree with you 100% and I don't run. Even when you get done at 7 and have pick up pieces they still want you to help people and be back at center by 8:00 for air. It makes no sense at all. I feel bad when people are behind and I always help but I really think I'm going to start saying no.

Can the company force you to help ?
your saying no to money?unless i have a date with j-lo or some other obligation,im riding the brown mule to the bank.this is why you signed up isnt it?

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
There is more to life than money.
Wealth can lead to freedom and freedom can lead to wealth. Money is why I and many others put up with UPS and the insane hours. The wealth that I amass while at UPS lets my family have a very comfortable lifestyle. This is where the old adage "Work hard, Play hard" comes to mind. If anyone looks back while employed at UPS and say they wish they could of spent more time with their family, they also need to think about the lifestyle they've been living during that time.

Indecisi0n

your saying no to money?unless i have a date with j-lo or some other obligation,im riding the brown mule to the bank.this is why you signed up isnt it?

I don't mind the money but there are nights where I am tired and just want to be home by 8:00pm. It is what it is and I accept it but I don't think it has to be this way.