Screw the 9.5 list and 8 hour days!!!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You do know that they cant FORCE you to do this right? If you are in the building and you have worked your 8 hours they cant force you back out, its called double dispatching and they arent allowed to do that. From what I have learned if you are still out on route they can, but if you are in the building they cant force you back out if you have worked 8 hours. You might check your rules but as far as Ive been told this is how it works here anyway.

If you get back to the building and they haven't notified you yet that work is waiting on you. You have the right to refuse that work.

This depends on the local, in the Atlantic Area they can send you back out as long as you haven't punched out yet.

Wizzy

Get on the 9.5 list, request 2 8 hr days per month. Don't gripe to your brothers & sisters gripe @ management!! With all the tools management has they should be able to control dispatch without me calling in everyday or sending another driver to get my work!

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Meh, do the same thing or quit complaining. Sounds to me that you got a sweet deal most of the time. With a route like that you probabaly won't have to worry about it at bid time.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Meh, do the same thing or quit complaining. Sounds to me that you got a sweet deal most of the time. With a route like that you probabaly won't have to worry about it at bid time.

I kinda thought the same thing. We'd kill here to start at 8:15.

stink219

5 o'clock. Back to building at 535. Air has to be in by 5:50 here. We start at 8:15. So instead of me going in with the air, they take it in, and I finish there route...
Lmfao!!!! Over here in east New England our day is usually 845am to 845pm. Sometimes 9, even 10. We are just crushed with work. I can't believe you even complain. It's laughable.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Lmfao!!!! Over here in east New England our day is usually 845am to 845pm. Sometimes 9, even 10. We are just crushed with work. I can't believe you even complain. It's laughable.

Keep in mind that the OP is from the west coast and there air has to be back to the building much earlier than ours due to the 3 hour time difference.

I don't work as late as you even during Peak. 9:15-18:15 daily.

Omega man

Simple fix.

1. Stop running, do the job by the book
2. Stop thinking that you have a right to work no overtime
3. Take all breaks and lunch only as your contract specifies
4. Get on the 9.5 list
5. Put in for your two 8 hr days per month
6. Get some seniority

Logb17

simple fix.

1. Stop running, do the job by the book- i don't run
2. Stop thinking that you have a right to work no overtime-not the issue
3. Take all breaks and lunch only as your contract specifies-always take lunch, sometimes skip break
4. Get on the 9.5 list-probably should
5. Put in for your two 8 hr days per month- another thing i should do, but feel bad for the other routes that get my crap
6. Get some seniority- hard to do..

DorkHead

Im friggen sick of finishing peoples ****. 3 times this week they had me finish other drivers routes and had them go home.

This needs to be addressed in the new contract. All 9.5s and 8 hour days do is screw someone else over!

Would you like some cheese to go with your whine?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
simple fix.

5. Put in for your two 8 hr days per month- another thing i should do, but feel bad for the other routes that get my crap
6. Get some seniority- hard to do..

Screw them, you're entitled.

Just don't get fired.

iruhnman630

+1 for the 'suck it up' crowd.

Remember it is your fellow driver whom you are helping, and you are entitled to the same when you want an 8-hr request. It's your own fault if you choose not to take your turn.

HULKAMANIA

Remember it is your fellow driver whom you are helping, and you are entitled to the same when you want an 8-hr request. It's your own fault if you choose not to take your turn.

You guys keep saying this about the 8 hour days. If the guy is the low guy in the center there is no such thing as an 8 hour request. Well there is but good luck ever getting it. Lets be honest here all the guys that are saying suck it up and whatever else, those 8 hour requests should be TAKEN CARE OF IN THE MORNINGS!!! I get sick of it myself thinking you are done with your work and then you get a message OH such and such has an 8 hour can you finish up his route. It would be nice to know that you have that work instead of getting suprised with it. Management should have it figured out in the mornings, we all want to get done and go home. I dont mind helping other drivers at all, but when there are drivers that dont work at a decent pace, that slack off and mess around all day then yeah I have a problem with helping them.

Buck Fifty

No its not the fellow driver your helping, You are definitely doing this for the company, since they are the one instructing you ! If you see it any other way, your wrong.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I would ask for an 8 hour request usually once a week or two. Then some young pup would pull up and whine about how he ran all day and skipped lunch and then had to help me. I'd laugh and pull out my banjo and take my last break.

You want to run and gun go for it. I survived by taking my breaks and enjoying myself. I had music, cool drinks and good customers.

And if it was a really bad runner and gunner I'd make sure the stops I had left for him were apartments and O/21 signature required and 0/70's.

so, you play the banjo huh, you and hoaxster should start a band, i heard he is a master of the flute

clarnzz

Had an 8 hour request today, bid a route that has three 5 PM pickups this week. In our center we are only required to take 1 minute of a lunch. They immediatly came at me this morning with the "Is your stop count low enough to take an hour lunch and still be at 8 hours". Told them I don't take a lunch ever and if u want me to start I'll take it as well the next time u dispatch me with 100 business stops with pickups. Poor guy next to me had to break off to clean up those later pickups, but it is what it is. Sure he has an 8 hour tomorrow and I'll be out till 8 PM which will be my second 9.5 in three days. ;)

Last edited:

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
You guys keep saying this about the 8 hour days. If the guy is the low guy in the center there is no such thing as an 8 hour request. Well there is but good luck ever getting it. Lets be honest here all the guys that are saying suck it up and whatever else, those 8 hour requests should be TAKEN CARE OF IN THE MORNINGS!!! I get sick of it myself thinking you are done with your work and then you get a message OH such and such has an 8 hour can you finish up his route. It would be nice to know that you have that work instead of getting suprised with it. Management should have it figured out in the mornings, we all want to get done and go home. I dont mind helping other drivers at all, but when there are drivers that dont work at a decent pace, that slack off and mess around all day then yeah I have a problem with helping them.
The supervisors have it ALL figured out in the mornings,they just dont share the details with you because they dont want to have to listen to you pisss and moan about it before you leave.