Screw the 9.5 list and 8 hour days!!!

undies

I had like 40 stops left and had to break off to take another drivers final 25 stops so he could go in and make 9.5. I clocked out at about 11:30pm, over 14 hours. I have not had to help anyone in that manner since.

stink219

I had like 40 stops left and had to break off to take another drivers final 25 stops so he could go in and make 9.5. I clocked out at about 11:30pm, over 14 hours. I have not had to help anyone in that manner since.
That's a DOT violation. That could cost your center manager his job. I'd file a complaint.

HULKAMANIA

That's a DOT violation. That could cost your center manager his job. I'd file a complaint.

And you know they would turn that over as your fault and try to fire you. If I remember right working over 14 hours the DOT violation can be 10 grand for that infraction. Nobody should have to be out for 11 hours doing what we do let alone 14 thats just absurd!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If someone is about to go over 14 hours in our building the alarms go off. Last time that was about to happen they ordered the driver to pull over and stop where he was, then 2 managers drove out there, I one to bring the driver back and one to bring the truck back.

stink219

If someone is about to go over 14 hours in our building the alarms go off. Last time that was about to happen they ordered the driver to pull over and stop where he was, then 2 managers drove out there, I one to bring the driver back and one to bring the truck back.
Exactly!!

stink219

Exactly

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Manager should have stayed out there to finish the deliveries if there was any left..let them knock on peoples door at 10 pm and try to dodge traffic in a brown uniform at night...

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

So the other driver had to be in by 7 and it took you 4 hours to do 65 stops? Do you deliver in rural Wyoming?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom

Sorry. Got distracted by Stephani. She is only 2.8 miles from me.

undies

I wasn't on road for 14 hours, apparently it's ok as long as I'm not behind the wheel. I don't know. I was in the building and took my breaks. The stops I had were all ghetto apartments in the bad side of town.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
You do know that they cant FORCE you to do this right? If you are in the building and you have worked your 8 hours they cant force you back out, its called double dispatching and they arent allowed to do that. From what I have learned if you are still out on route they can, but if you are in the building they cant force you back out if you have worked 8 hours. You might check your rules but as far as Ive been told this is how it works here anyway.

We call it PM dispatching. If they give it to you in the AM and it is on your truck then it is yours. They guys that have 9.5 requests and 8 hr requests give the work up in the morning and it is given to other drivers......in the MORNING. That way they are prepared for their day with no surprise calls in the afternoon to go help someone.
Now....there are special circumstances where a driver can be asked to help another driver in the afternoon. When something out of the ordinary occurs....something out of the driver's control such as a break down or an accident. NOT 9.5s and 8s.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Son, you gotta stand up for yourself. What you leave with in the AM is your assigned dispatch. They can't force you to do extra, other than OCA's. Now, they may SAY you have to do it, and they may hate you for not doing it, but they can't force you to do it.

Having said all of that, remember, this is a horrible economy. Money is money. , you HAVE to be off for 10 hoursIn a time when so many are hurting, be glad that you have the opportunity. Now, if you still don't want to fatten your wallet and retirement fund, slow your roll, man. DO NOT bust your ass doing this extra work.

You worked 14 hours? 16 is the maximum one day a week. And remember, you HAVE to be off for 10 hours following a 14 Hour shift. So if you worked until 11:30 PM, you can't start work the following day until 9:30. That's not UPS/Teamster talk; that's DOT federal law. You violate that, you and the company facing a large fine if you get caught.

But my advice is to grab the gravy train by the wagon wheels and hold on for as long as it is rolling...

undies

I got an 8 hour day today by default. Had 49.6 hours Monday-Thursday. My seniority is pretty low and would never get one if I asked for it.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Son, you gotta stand up for yourself. What you leave with in the AM is your assigned dispatch. They can't force you to do extra, other than OCA's. Now, they may SAY you have to do it, and they may hate you for not doing it, but they can't force you to do it.

Having said all of that, remember, this is a horrible economy. Money is money. , you HAVE to be off for 10 hoursIn a time when so many are hurting, be glad that you have the opportunity. Now, if you still don't want to fatten your wallet and retirement fund, slow your roll, man. DO NOT bust your ass doing this extra work.

You worked 14 hours? 16 is the maximum one day a week. And remember, you HAVE to be off for 10 hours following a 14 Hour shift. So if you worked until 11:30 PM, you can't start work the following day until 9:30. That's not UPS/Teamster talk; that's DOT federal law. You violate that, you and the company facing a large fine if you get caught.

But my advice is to grab the gravy train by the wagon wheels and hold on for as long as it is rolling...

Keep in mind that while that may the case under your supplement, it's not true everywhere.

SlowRide80k

My other one is Red Tag'd
I believe the option in the DIAD is number 4. Thats what we do here at least.

Dispatch: Can you..(insert ridiculous request here)?
Driver: 4. No.

Like today I was asked to grab another drivers airs/pu pieces and cover another drivers ltr box. I said no. they asked if I could at least cover the letter box and I said no.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Keep in mind that while that may the case under your supplement, it's not true everywhere.

No, it's DOT Hours of Service rules and it is federal law. It has nothing to do with contracts or supplements.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
No, it's DOT Hours of Service rules and it is federal law. It has nothing to do with contracts or supplements.
I was talking about the the first part of your post:
I agree with you on the DOT hours of service.