Screw You, Fred S!!

MAKAVELI

I think it more than appearance. They have reason to be concerned. They may have been a bit too clever in their negotiating. Alot of Ground ISP's in Saint Louis let freight sit rather than help out and have the company take money away at the end of the month for failing service goals. It's easy math for ISP's. Why would I take on the added expense just to break even?
Sure sounds like you really have the customer in mind with this strategy.
Sounds like more of that " excellent" ground service.

CharleyHustle

Concerned about service? That's been noticeably lacking around here. WAD only. Nothing more than the bare minimum, right?

Well, yes. For an hourly employee that's really about it. If they go above and beyond they don't really get anything more do they? The truth is if as an hourly you do more you could actually get less. Customer service is most exclusively a management function, yes being friendly and attentive is all well and good for a package driver, but that really isn't the service the customer is paying for. That's provided by management.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Concerned about service? That's been noticeably lacking around here. WAD only. Nothing more than the bare minimum, right?

Your not even doing that. "I think I'll relax this peak and just watch the mayhem." That's not even close to work as directed.

bbsam

Staff member
Your not even doing that. "I think I'll relax this peak and just watch the mayhem." That's not even close to work as directed.
For a contractor, it is. I do what I am under contract to do and no more. The rest is their problem. Now if they want to get serious about making it worth my time, then that's a conversation we can have.

bbsam

Staff member
Well, yes. For an hourly employee that's really about it. If they go above and beyond they don't really get anything more do they? The truth is if as an hourly you do more you could actually get less. Customer service is most exclusively a management function, yes being friendly and attentive is all well and good for a package driver, but that really isn't the service the customer is paying for. That's provided by management.
My point exactly. If I'm not going to be generating any more profit, why would i take on more work?

Cactus

My point exactly. If I'm not going to be generating any more profit, why would i take on more work?
We're getting mixed signals here Sam.

You're the one that wants more volume and express volume too. :confused2:

Last edited:

CJinx

I think it more than appearance. They have reason to be concerned. They may have been a bit too clever in their negotiating. Alot of Ground ISP's in Saint Louis let freight sit rather than help out and have the company take money away at the end of the month for failing service goals. It's easy math for ISP's. Why would I take on the added expense just to break even?
We had that problem last year; a couple ISPs were in over their heads with freight and tanked their service goals in late December. An exception was given and they retained 100% of their CSI even though the goals were in the crapper. Wasn't really fair to the guys who knew they were at capacity and had to turn away thousands of dollars worth of above-threshold stops.

Speaking of thresholds, there was an announcement recently that really pissed off some folks who now have sworn to sit at their thresholds through the peak season. I have no idea what it was though.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Hmmm. Sounds like you're starting to experience some of the ways FedEx screws with "employees". Welcome to the club. Hey, but what about that stellar Ground service level? Doesn't sound like there's much incentive for you to do anything but WAD. Uncle Fred is deciding that you are taking away too much of his profit margin.

As Express profits drop (WAD, falling market share, bad customer service, lousy management etc.) Fred has every incentive to make it up in some other way...you. No way is he going to take credit for Express eventually turning into a money-loser. He will attempt to disguise the loss in Express profits by increasing his profit margin at Ground. This equals less for the "business partner" (contractor, ISP). Watch for more of this in the future as Express continues to slide further down the toilet.

Don't say we didn't warn you about who you were dealing with. Satan doesn't compromise.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Eight hours later and still no reply??

That's not the bbScam I know.

Here are some of the excuses he can expect to hear:

"We have invested an enormous amount of money into new Ground facilities".

"We will be revising our business plan to accommodate changing market conditions".

"You (referring to ISPs and contractors) need to take a bigger hand in the decision-making process (accept less profit)."

"The upcoming changes in our product mix will provide you (ISPs and contractors) a solid opportunity for growth". (Growth of Fred's wallet).

"Increased advertising and marketing costs need to be shared with our business partners".

Should I go on? Perhaps bbscam needs to invest in an extra-large vat of Vaseline.

bbsam

Staff member
I am domiciled in a colocation. That means both Ground and HD are serviced from our building. 100% of my contractural obligations is Ground volume. However, I cover an additional 50 to 75 HD stops Tuesday throu Friday. During peak the HD volume that I take will probably jump to about 100 to 110 stops. Easily handled. In fact, if I brought on another driver to help with bulk stops and pickups, I could easily take another 150 to 200 stops. Now if the company wants to play around with thresholds by putting them so high that I can't get the additional incentive money without putting on two new drivers, well suddenly I don't even care about helping. At that point I handle only my contractual obligations. There's no angst or hurt feelings or anything. It's just a bad business move to further engage.

Myort

This is how things are supposed to work. Large company tries to make terms favorable to them. BBsam pushes back and decides not to accept such terms. Company either sweetens the pot or the freight sits. It pisses executives off when things happen like this. They like to think everyone should be so honored to work for them that they can screw you over 5 ways.

Cactus

I am domiciled in a colocation. That means both Ground and HD are serviced from our building. 100% of my contractural obligations is Ground volume. However, I cover an additional 50 to 75 HD stops Tuesday throu Friday. During peak the HD volume that I take will probably jump to about 100 to 110 stops. Easily handled. In fact, if I brought on another driver to help with bulk stops and pickups, I could easily take another 150 to 200 stops. Now if the company wants to play around with thresholds by putting them so high that I can't get the additional incentive money without putting on two new drivers, well suddenly I don't even care about helping. At that point I handle only my contractual obligations. There's no angst or hurt feelings or anything. It's just a bad business move to further engage.
In other words, things ain't looking real rosey now that Fred says "bend over."

bbsam

Staff member
In other words, things ain't looking real rosey now that Fred says "bend over."

Wrong. The company is the entity facing its own self imposed crisis. We'll see what they decide to do. I'm sitting pretty well either way.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Wrong. The company is the entity facing its own self imposed crisis. We'll see what they decide to do. I'm sitting pretty well either way.

Your fun is just beginning. Like I said, Fred can't find any profit at Express, so he'll be looking for a bigger share of yours.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Just thought id give ya a tip for your hatred and rage toward your homeboy FRED. Damm dude you got some pinned up rage up in ya dogg about your job. Yeah I definitely feel ya but damm dude lol. I aint doggin ya but it is pretty hysterical to be totally honest with ya. I hate my job too but I guess the big cheese we get every fri kinda gets me over it lol.