Searching and or Bumping OLD threads!!!!

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by thebrown1, Oct 20, 2014.

1. thebrown1

thebrown1 New Member

Now I have heard a lot recently about people using the search function to find appropriate threads or information and this may work most times. My concern is if the post is OLD 7+ months then should they bump the old thread or make a new relevant thread?

Personally I think they should just make a new thread if their specific issue or question is not answered.

2. Better idea, let this thread die out and we come back in 7 months to answer.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. scooby0048

scooby0048 This page left intentionally blank

I say threads with no activity for 12+months be purged. You're right sometimes the info is way outdated and no longer relevant. It's just a waste of space and time reading through all the posts / threads to get some answers.

4. greengrenades

greengrenades To be the man, you gotta beat the man.

Just let the person ask, who cares if it's been posted before. Answering the persons question takes just as much effort as complaining that they should have used the search feature.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  5. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

I have suggested this on many occasions and still think it is the best way to get rid of dormant threads.

6. Their would be 7 million new threads titled.
    I got the interview,when do I start? When do I go full time? Where can I buy brown socks? and so on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  7. Ratherbelaxxin

Ratherbelaxxin New Member

It is proper Forum etiquette to start a new thread rather than bumping an old thread and asking a similar question.

8. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Many questions have already been answered if people just search old threads instead of repeating the same questions.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

...even if the question or issue has already been asked or discussed and the information is still relevant?

10. Indecisi0n

Indecisi0n Well-Known Member

Where can I get socks from?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  11. Don't you have enough socks??

12. gman042

gman042 Been around the block a few times

There is the catch. If you purge dormant threads then how can someone look back to see if the information is pertinent or not. If a question is posed that has all ready been discussed then the OP is made to feel like an idiot for asking a question that has been discussed. Search the forum some will say. Well if that information has been purged how can they do that.
    Just answer the question

13. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

Nah...can't ever have enough...lol

14. barnfart would love if you searched and bumped.

15. jaker

jaker trolling

I love how many new threads we get in this season from seasonals

All happy to be hired and get mad when we tell them you will be laid off afterwards and they don't believe us because HR told them something else

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. oldngray

oldngray nowhere special

Old threads shouldn't be purged because the same questions are asked every year.

17. jibbs

jibbs Long Live the Chief

And the same answer always given: people say UTFSE right before entirely answering a person's question.

Kind of makes it seem like a symbolic statement more than anything else. An "I'm better-at-the-internet-than-you"-kind of moment, if you will.

I always thought that if people were really irritated by duplicate topics, they'd simply not bother themselves by paying the thread(s) no mind. Or maybe report them. Jumping in just to say "search, you idiot" before answering does nothing but boost one's ego and perpetuate what some of you see as a problem on this forum.

(Not saying you do that, oldngray, just something I've noticed on the whole.)

18. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

If the old forum is too specifically titled, then start a new one to suit your post's topic.

19. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

Exactly...why would we KNOW anything?? We just work here!

20. thebrown1

thebrown1 New Member

I would think that someone with enough knowledge and common since would write up a sticky for these type of questions. That way new comers and old have a common place to look for information. That way it can be more along the lines of check the sticky at the top of the forum.