sears kmart

moreluck

golden ticket member
Auld Lang Syne,

Sears was the internet, of the 1800's.
They perfected the model of home shopping with the support of the Postal System.
Sadly, neither business model could adapt to the future.
Quick overview of the impact/history of Sears;
History of the Sears Catalog

Outhouses used to have Sears catalogs in them, but it wasn't light enough to read in there....hmmmmmm? Also, remember apple wrappers?

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
KMART bought the Sears Chain in 2004. Kmart, Sears to merge in $11B deal - Nov. 17, 2004

KMART was already struggling with trying to keep up with Target and Walmart and has been unable to maintain market share. WALMARTS cheap china imports along with TARGETS imports and volume have crushed KMARTS ability to compete.

When they bought Sears, they thought it would add a better blend of merchandise to the KMART branding, but it hasnt.

At the end of the day, the MULTITUDES of walmarts in each city has been the death of the local Kmart and Sears stores.

In a typical city, like mine, there are 7 walmart supercenters and ONE Sears and ONE KMART. How can they possibly compete on those terms?

Maybe now people will understand how ONE chain can put other businesses in the graveyard.

Dont complain, its capitalism at work. Blame BUSH.

Peace.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Once you bought a Craftsman tool, it was for the rest of your life (free replacement, no questions). Who thought it would ever be for the rest of Sear's life ??

klein

Für Meno :)
I posted Sears in random facts just a week ago, maybe a few days longer than that.
As one of the companies unlikely to be in exsitence by 2015.
I guess they are right.

But, just to add another fact into this. None of Sears stores are closing in Canada. It's business as usual here.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Seems like all this closing ruckus was happening right after the Kardashian's put their clothes in all the Sear's stores. So it's Kris, Kim, Khloe, Kourtney, Kylie and Kendalls's fault. Rob's innocent because it was ladies clothes.

Come to think about it......teen buyer's are not in Sear's stores..........they are beyond Garanimals and double re-enforced knee pads on jeans. However, Canadian teens may like the plaid flannel shirts and overalls, so Canada stores are thriving.

klein

Back in my youth days, they were called Simpson Sears .
But, I think Sears bought out Simpson, and they became Sears afterwards.

images
images

Last edited:

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Seems like all this closing ruckus was happening right after the Kardashian's put their clothes in all the Sear's stores. So it's Kris, Kim, Khloe, Kourtney, Kylie and Kendalls's fault. Rob's innocent because it was ladies clothes.

Come to think about it......teen buyer's are not in Sear's stores..........they are beyond Garanimals and double re-enforced knee pads on jeans. However, Canadian teens may like the plaid flannel shirts and overalls, so Canada stores are thriving.

Moreluck, again it comes down to market share. If competition was limited to ONE store in a town, businesses like Kmart and Sears could survive in america. Instead, target is opeining multiple stores in one town along side with Walmarts supercenters which take the largest share of customers.

It matters not "whos" clothes are in the store, when you are outnumbered, your market share dwindles to nothing. It happens all the time.

Remember Zodys or Gemco?

Peace

klein

Moreluck, again it comes down to market share. If competition was limited to ONE store in a town, businesses like Kmart and Sears could survive in america. Instead, target is opeining multiple stores in one town along side with Walmarts supercenters which take the largest share of customers.

It matters not "whos" clothes are in the store, when you are outnumbered, your market share dwindles to nothing. It happens all the time.

Remember Zodys or Gemco?

Peace

I agree. We don't even have Target here, yet !
They are suppose to roll in next year. They bought some Zellers stores they are going to takeover.
And, a lot of Canadians don't and won't shop and support Walmart because of their business practises towards their employees.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I agree. We don't even have Target here, yet !
They are suppose to roll in next year. They bought some Zellers stores they are going to takeover.
And, a lot of Canadians don't and won't shop and support Walmart because of their business practises towards their employees.

Of course you agree, it's Sun Ape Ill !! Never heard of Zellers or either of the 2 stores mantioned by TOS. If you lived in Sweetwater, TX. and Super Walmart is the only store in town, you'd support it. The 35 mile drive to Abilene would get very old, very fast and your 'standards' would disappear. Gee, would your elec. car even make it back? That's where people have to go for the normal "big box" stores and the chain restaurants.

brett636

Remember Zodys or Gemco?

Peace

Its called survival of the fittest. Its not always nice, nor pretty, but as in the wild the weak will die and the strong will prevail. Sears and Kmart have both been weakening in recent years and now their demise is nearly imminent. I hate to see the Sears name go away as its as American as apple pie, but that would be the breaks sometimes. Perhaps if they had better management they could come out of this, but unless some drastic leadership changes take place I doubt we will see a comeback.

brett636

Once you bought a Craftsman tool, it was for the rest of your life (free replacement, no questions). Who thought it would ever be for the rest of Sear's life ??

I used to buy exclusively craftsman tools because I knew they were backed up by the best warranty in the industry and were American made. Now you go into Sears and find more and more Craftsman branded tools are made in China, but they are still asking a premium for the craftsman name. If I am going to buy made in China goods I want made in China prices, and tool stores like Harbor Freight offer plenty of chinese made tools at bargain prices so I do most of my tool shopping there.

I used to buy exclusively craftsman tools because I knew they were backed up by the best warranty in the industry and were American made. Now you go into Sears and find more and more Craftsman branded tools are made in China, but they are still asking a premium for the craftsman name. If I am going to buy made in China goods I want made in China prices, and tool stores like Harbor Freight offer plenty of chinese made tools at bargain prices so I do most of my tool shopping there.

The deal was with Craftsman you paid the premium for the name and in effect paid for that replacement tool also. It would take two or three replacements to catch up to the cost. I`ve been buying Kobalt tools lately. Still a pricier tool but they come out with some innovative stuff before the others do.

menotyou

bella amicizia
DS brought up Woolco, either. (I can post again with the bubble mac Yay)

friend. W. Woolworth Building (Watertown, New York) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

over9five

Staff member
I hate to see the Sears name go away as its as American as apple pie, but that would be the breaks sometimes. Perhaps if they had better management they could come out of this, but unless some drastic leadership changes take place I doubt we will see a comeback.
How 'bout a GM style bailout courtesy of the American taxpayer?