Season hire vs coverage driver. What's the diff?

Sometimes

13 years on the preload. Have worked summers and peaks as a delivery driver. Currently have 23 days toward a "30 in 90" working days and with max vacations for the rest of the month, there's a good chance of getting the 30. As a seasonal hire driver (thats the bid sheet they begged me to sign) who continued working frequently after peak, I should be considered full time should I actually get the 30. The question is, what if they claim I am a coverage driver? Never signed anything under a coverage driver sign up sheet. I am sure they will fight me going full time. What are the facts, if anyone knows them. I can't find any coverage driver section in the contract.

Box Ox

My understanding is that one won't have to go through a 30 day probationary period should one ever go full time if they ran a route 30+ days as a temp driver. Doesn't guarantee full time status. Cover drivers at my center are full time permanent but aren't called in every day and are waiting for their own routes.

Sometimes

Haven't stopped working since Nov. 1. My understanding is if I get 30 in 90 I go to the full time ranks which would make me able to work both preload and reload if no on road work is available as well as start my progression to top driver rate. Right now it's barely half the rate of of regular driver and of course you know where the OT falls when they can save a buck.
I'm already being covered under the full time insurance plan and getting credit notices for full time pension. They claimed it was a clerical error when it happened last year but now its all screwed up again.

Or perhaps there is a clause I don't know about and I am already classified full time and nobody even knows it. I have been told that at one time, per contract, if you work as a seasonal driver five consecutive years it automatically qualifies you to full time.

Oddly enough I like the job. My father did it for 40 years. I just want to get on with my life with a full time opportunity.

SmithBarney

We used to have a "Seasonal" who worked peak, took a month off, then came back for "summer" season. Same thing for fall, would take off Sept Oct, then be back for peak again. Perfect Set up if you don't need insurance.. even at seasonal pay rates with OT he made a pretty good living with 3-4 months off a year.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
We don't have so called- "cover drivers". Only Teamsters, Casuals, and Runner-Gunners.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
There shouldn't be any seasonals working this time of year.
Lol we had seasonals air drivers and sups running routes today. Even with all that we had two routes sitting empty that were going to get split between people.

From what I could tell about everyone without an 8.0 had an 11+ hour day today.

SmithBarney

We don't have so called- "cover drivers". Only Teamsters, Casuals, and Runner-Gunners.

our cover drivers were usually the bottom most senior drivers with no bid route, since the "worst" routes were called training routes. I loved my "regular" training route. Might have been heavy but I was done by 6-7pm nearly everyday.

scisector9

At my center ft cover or swing drivers always have work because if we have more drivers than routes they let highest seniority guys n gals go home without pay. Funny enough it never gets down to us cover drivers. Also we can not bump other drivers if you are on your own route unless your route is cut or a training route. Cover guys get choice on coverage based on seniority. Is this outside the norm?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Sometimes

So as I read these posts, a cover driver is considered FULL TIME in "most" centers? (N.E. Ohio?) I'm concerned here because this could be a win-win situation. If they consider me a cover driver, they have to give me full time rights which means if i have to work preload, I can at least claim any air driver work before the top seniority PTer , which would put an extra 2-3 hours on my day several days a week. OR, if I get my 30 in 90, as a seasonal recalled driver, I am also going to be credited with full time statis. But thats a big if. 25 down and 5 to go with 10 working days to do it. But all the low seniority vacations are kicking in so there is a shot!! May have to URGE some drivers to get the Brown Flu if necessary!!!!!!
Never thought I would be working P/T 13 years later. And still have 4 or 5 or 6 or7 people ahead of me. Most undecided as to whether they want to donate the rest of their ife to Brown! Going from 4 hours a day to 10-11 is a jump for someone whosnever done it! C/M said he was requesting 6 more full time drivers. But we never get what we need, which is why I'm working so much. We've only hired one new FT for the last 5-6 retirees and three more are leaving before summer. Light at the end of the tunnel one way or the other.

UPSGUY72

So as I read these posts, a cover driver is considered FULL TIME in "most" centers? (N.E. Ohio?) I'm concerned here because this could be a win-win situation. If they consider me a cover driver, they have to give me full time rights which means if i have to work preload, I can at least claim any air driver work before the top seniority PTer , which would put an extra 2-3 hours on my day several days a week. OR, if I get my 30 in 90, as a seasonal recalled driver, I am also going to be credited with full time statis. But thats a big if. 25 down and 5 to go with 10 working days to do it. But all the low seniority vacations are kicking in so there is a shot!! May have to URGE some drivers to get the Brown Flu if necessary!!!!!!
Never thought I would be working P/T 13 years later. And still have 4 or 5 or 6 or7 people ahead of me. Most undecided as to whether they want to donate the rest of their ife to Brown! Going from 4 hours a day to 10-11 is a jump for someone whosnever done it! C/M said he was requesting 6 more full time drivers. But we never get what we need, which is why I'm working so much. We've only hired one new FT for the last 5-6 retirees and three more are leaving before summer. Light at the end of the tunnel one way or the other.

You need to read your supplement. You say you been working PT for 13 years and still you haven't clue.....

Hate to bust your bubble but in soon area cover driver are PT positions not FT... When they aren't need to driver they go back to there PT job... What does your supplement say about that....

13 years on the preload. Have worked summers and peaks as a delivery driver. Currently have 23 days toward a "30 in 90" working days and with max vacations for the rest of the month, there's a good chance of getting the 30. As a seasonal hire driver (thats the bid sheet they begged me to sign) who continued working frequently after peak, I should be considered full time should I actually get the 30. The question is, what if they claim I am a coverage driver? Never signed anything under a coverage driver sign up sheet. I am sure they will fight me going full time. What are the facts, if anyone knows them. I can't find any coverage driver section in the contract.
You'd then file a grievance if you didn't sign up for the coverage list.