Seasonal driver helpers (series of questions)

Barack Odrama

1. what exactly do they do? (details)
  2. what is the hourly rates?
  3. is it true that you have to start off as a package handler to become a driver helper
  4. do drivers normally treat their helpers to food after the shift?
  5. will i be literally running?

evilleace

1.They deliver the packages for the drivers
2.Varies but in local 710 they start at 80% of the drivers starting rate which is roughly $14.00 an hr.
3. No but you get paid more if you work inside also.
4. Don't know maybe if you are good and the driver likes you.
5. Walk don't run according to UPS safety rules. (But sometimes yes)

705red

Browncafe Steward
The last time you asked for advice you badgered everyone that tryed to help. Lets see how many replies that you get, i wouldnt imagine it to be too many, at least from the people that really matter around here.

Barack Odrama

thank you for replying to my question even though i made some disrespectful remarks towards u in the other thread

and wow @14 bucks an hour. thats amazing..you think it would be the same in NYC?..i dont think the package handlers make more than the driver helpers because package handlers here make 8.50 to 9.50..so i would think that driver helpers make the same amount or a little more..can anyone confirm 14 bucks an hour throughout the u.s?

upsgrunt

IF it is $14.00 an hour where you are at, and IF you are a driver helper, come back and let us know if you still think that the $14.00 an hour was such a sweet deal.
The helpers we get around here are abused, and if you want the driver to keep you and give you the hours you have to be willing to be abused in order for them to keep you longer in order to benefit them. I'm not saying it is fair, or that I agree with it, but I would just assume do it all myself instead of having to think for two people and keep two people busy. I think a helper counts against a driver as "1/2 a person", so the driver and helper have to do the work of 1 1/2 people in order to justify the helper. It works great in some residential areas, not so great in most- especially with some of the winner helpers that get hired.

Barack Odrama

IF it is $14.00 an hour where you are at, and IF you are a driver helper, come back and let us know if you still think that the $14.00 an hour was such a sweet deal.
The helpers we get around here are abused, and if you want the driver to keep you and give you the hours you have to be willing to be abused in order for them to keep you longer in order to benefit them. I'm not saying it is fair, or that I agree with it, but I would just assume do it all myself instead of having to think for two people and keep two people busy. I think a helper counts against a driver as "1/2 a person", so the driver and helper have to do the work of 1 1/2 people in order to justify the helper. It works great in some residential areas, not so great in most- especially with some of the winner helpers that get hired.
i thank you for your input, sir..and if i get this job ill be sure to let you know what i think. i would guess in NYC it would be harder..since we deal with rain and snow in the winter...but for someone with ZERO job experience and for someone who has never had a job on the books (worked off the books) i think 14 bucks an hour is good regardless of the torture and abuse..in my opinion..as long as the driver and i can obtain a healthy employee to employee relationship..i wont see the problem..im ready for anything:happy-very:

evilleace

Sorry Odrama I was guesstimating earlier but the 80% of starting pay is $12.88 an hr. not $14 but still not shabby. Also if you are a pkg. handler and work for UPS you make more than an off the street hire.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
..can anyone confirm 14 bucks an hour throughout the u.s?
I don't know about where you are, but the Helpers got $8.50 an hour here last year. I would take an inside job over a Helper anytime. A lot of Helpers don't get very many hours either. Most of the time they were telling us to work them 2-3 hours a day until a couple of weeks before Christmas. Not worth it.

evilleace

In the 710 contract book says that helpers start at 80% of driver start rate or their regular rate if higher, but not to exceed $14 an hr.

PaidDriveTime?

Last year when I was a helper I made 11.80, or something around that. This year I know it has been raised and I believe they said it to be around 13. I live in a fairly rural area, so its not nearly as bad as other places could have it as a helper. NYC would probably suck because you will be crawling in and out of that truck probably 40-50 times an hour. I ran a couple of those last year, and trust me you will be tired. My advice is to try and land a rural route with a driver you get along with, and try to stick with them the whole time. I must say, however, that it isnt as bad as you might think. The time really flys by if you are in the right situation.

Mike Hawk

Around here helpers off the street get 9.50, inside helpers get 11.00, and they are really stingy about hours. They will want you to work 3.5 hours until a few weeks before x-mas, and they want you to start at 10:30 after the air is off so as a preloader that’s like a 2 hour break, plus you take lunch with the driver.

PaidDriveTime?

Around here helpers off the street get 9.50, inside helpers get 11.00, and they are really stingy about hours. They will want you to work 3.5 hours until a few weeks before x-mas, and they want you to start at 10:30 after the air is off so as a preloader that’s like a 2 hour break, plus you take lunch with the driver.

So by take lunch with the driver you mean you dont take lunch. haha I not once ever saw a driver take lunch when I was with them.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
So by take lunch with the driver you mean you dont take lunch. haha I not once ever saw a driver take lunch when I was with them.
most drivers take lunch before or after they get their helper so as to burn as many resi's as possible. I could burn about 45/50 an hour in some neighborhoods why eat lunch then if you only have helper for 3 hrs a day he could grab his lunch later,not on my time. If i had him more than 4 i would tell him to bring a lunch and eat it while i was setting up a hundred then he could catch a break and we would then burn em of like the paperboy!!!!!!! i would allways buy him coffee during peak and yes i would throw in a nice tip on the 23rd!!