Seasonal Driver Position Over, Summer Fill Ins?

MassWineGuy

The last day I worked was Dec. 24th. Even though I can officially work through Jan. 15th, my sup told me I was done for this season. Which is fine because I knew it ended. But when I was first hired the HR people said the position was not only for peak, but also to help fill in for vacationg drivers in the the later summer. My sup wasn't sure how this worked and thought that I'd need to reapply. Does anyone know more about this?

Thank you.

UPSGUY72

The last day I worked was Dec. 24th. Even though I can officially work through Jan. 15th, my sup told me I was done for this season. Which is fine because I knew it ended. But when I was first hired the HR people said the position was not only for peak, but also to help fill in for vacationg drivers in the the later summer. My sup wasn't sure how this worked and thought that I'd need to reapply. Does anyone know more about this?

Thank you.

You are going to have to re apply. If you have the number to the HR person keep it and give them a call in april / may to let them know your interested being a casual again if they have openings.

However, the new contract should be in effect by the time they usually start hiring casual for vacation fill ins. With that being said the New England Supplement is changing to allow PTimers to cover driver. That could effect the number of casuals a building hires or if they even hire any casuals.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
The HR person lied - seasonal positions filled by outside hires are just that: seasonal. You need to re-apply for each season you wish to drive. Of course, this will be largely symbolic/formal, but insiders will always have priority over you to drive seasonally, and many new supplements/riders give UPS increased leverage in utilizing PTers to drive year-round. Thus, the likelihood of you driving come summer will be dependent on the needs of your facility. In mine, there's enough interest from insiders that it's rare outsiders work come summer. That's clearly not true everywhere, however.

MassWineGuy

I know exactly what I paid toward the init. fee. Should I contact the local, tell them what's what and ask for the appropriate paperwork so I won't need to start from zero if there is a next time?

Also, if I believe that I'll never do this again can I get my money back?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
I know exactly what I paid toward the init. fee. Should I contact the local, tell them what's what and ask for the appropriate paperwork so I won't need to start from zero if there is a next time?

Contact the local. Most likely (if you sign a withdrawal card), you will only pay the balance due of the initiation fee.

No.

Inthegame

Yes and I doubt it...

Inthegame

Yes and I doubt it...

Not sure what your locals practice is on deliquent initiation. If I recall from earlier posts I believe your initiation was pretty high, no make that through the roof high. I'd check to see if they'd let you slide on fulfilling payment now and instead start up again if you're rehired for the summer. The IBT Constitution requires complete payment of all "obligations" to issue a withdrawal card but your local may have been granted some latitude on this. Good luck...

MassWineGuy

My guess is that since the local concerned set the ridiculous fee level, they'd be unlikely to give any of it up. But I should look into it.

At least they can't deduct money if I'm not earning any. And from the sound of the new contract, I may never work in this position again.

Inthegame

My guess is that since the local concerned set the ridiculous fee level, they'd be unlikely to give any of it up. But I should look into it.

At least they can't deduct money if I'm not earning any. And from the sound of the new contract, I may never work in this position again.
Well if so at least you got a good dog.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Nope, Chick. You are. I'm moving into your basement. Thanks for the offer.

Following up on the stupid nonexistent logic of your comment, it must certainly be better to let people starve and die on the street instead of help them out. Let's assume that 30 to 40 percent are cheating the system. That leaves 60 to 70 percent who might be in real need. I mean, the richest nation on earth has to hold on to every penny and protect the rights of its citizens to express their views. Even someone like you.

I'm sure that every single one of us seasonals slacks off the rest of the time. I learned many tips about slacking off from watching some of the drivers I met this season.
Don't start judging what you think you saw. You did this job for what , 3 weeks and missed a day? Do it for ten years, and then your opinion might matter.

MassWineGuy

Don't start judging what you think you saw. You did this job for what , 3 weeks and missed a day? Do it for ten years, and then your opinion might matter.

Like the saying goes, even a blind man knows when the sun is shining. My observations were backed by experienced, full time drivers.