Seasonal Driver Questions

UnloaderAM

Hello everyone. I've been working at UPS for 4 years now and I'm going to be a seasonal driver this summer. Driver school starts next week. I just have a couple of quick questions:

1) What to wear? It says dress casual but "business like." So would jeans and a decent t-shirt be alright?

2) Where do I get socks? I got my uniform but no socks. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure if I'm going to wear shorts I have to wear brown socks. Can I buy my own brown socks or do they have to be UPS brand socks (or something of that nature with the logo)?

3) Good brand of work shoes to get? I've heard good things about sketcher work shoes. What work shoes do you ladies and gentlemen wear? (I do have a pair or work shoes already but I'm interested in getting another pair)

4) Can you wear ear plugs while driving? When I was a driver helper last peak season the driver I rode with was wearing ear plugs. I'm not sure if you can wear them or not (or if you can what kinds, if any, are allowed) but I'm just curious.

Thank you very much for the help. It is greatly appreciated.

gostillerz

I wouldn't do the ear plugs, that's probably a bad idea. Business casual is maybe khakis and a collared polo type shirt, But everyone wore browns. Don't worry about the socks. If they bug you, tell them you'll buy them once you pass. Shoe wise, black, leather "polishable". Sketchers, New Balance, get something cheap first, but definitely get better as soon as you can afford to.

UPSGUY72

Hello everyone. I've been working at UPS for 4 years now and I'm going to be a seasonal driver this summer. Driver school starts next week. I just have a couple of quick questions:

1) What to wear? It says dress casual but "business like." So would jeans and a decent t-shirt be alright?

When I went to school I wore my Uniform... Dress casual is khakis and a polo like shirt..

2) Where do I get socks? I got my uniform but no socks. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure if I'm going to wear shorts I have to wear brown socks. Can I buy my own brown socks or do they have to be UPS brand socks (or something of that nature with the logo)?

You can start by wearing black socks till you get your UPS socks.. https://www.twinhill.com/gensite/index.jsp?thClient=upscatalog

3) Good brand of work shoes to get? I've heard good things about sketcher work shoes. What work shoes do you ladies and gentlemen wear? (I do have a pair or work shoes already but I'm interested in getting another pair)

I along with a lot of other driver wear Nike Air Monarchs I would start there they not to expensive and they are comfortable..

4) Can you wear ear plugs while driving? When I was a driver helper last peak season the driver I rode with was wearing ear plugs. I'm not sure if you can wear them or not (or if you can what kinds, if any, are allowed) but I'm just curious.

No ear plugs are not aloud. If there where your wouldn't need to pass a hearing test during your DOT Physical... That driver was breaking the law...

Thank you very much for the help. It is greatly appreciated.

Good luck at school the hardest part is remember all the safety dribble crap if you already know that the rest of the school is easy..

UnloaderAM

@upsguy72: Thank you very very much for the information. It is greatly appreciated. I will probably just wear my uniform to class then to be safe. I'm also going to go out this weekend and see if I can't pick up a pair of those Nike Air Monarchs. I also appreciate the link to the socks and the advice on the safety "dribble", lol. I've been studying that all week so hopefully that shouldn't be a big deal.

Kinda surprised on the ear plugs bit. Not surprised their illegal, that makes sense. Just surprised that the driver I was riding with was using them.

Thank you to everyone for their help and advice. Again, it is very appreciated.