Seasonal Driver

I start driving on Monday as a Seasonal Driver, UPS only hires full time drivers within. My ? is does this put my foot in the door at all as a future driver. I'm willing to do part time,after my seasonal job ends, to get in line for a future driver. I scored an 98% on my test at integrad training. I was supposed to be a drivers helper for 2 weeks before they put me on the road, My supervisor stated I caught on to the Diad quick so I start driving a week early.. Does any of this help me with my future with UPS? Thanks in advance on any advice you have!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Your second sentence is incorrect. Our contract states that UPS must fill driver vacancies in a 6:1 ratio---6 insiders for every 1 outside hire. I was an outside hire. The numbers will tell you that your best bet is to work on the inside after Peak. Good luck.

old levi's

blank space
Your second sentence is incorrect. Our contract states that UPS must fill driver vacancies in a 6:1 ratio---6 insiders for every 1 outside hire. I was an outside hire. The numbers will tell you that your best bet is to work on the inside after Peak. Good luck.
Everyone on this planet knows that you were an outside hire. You don't need to keep repeating it! You would not have made from the inside because that would have been too much of a sacrifice.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Everyone on this planet knows that you were an outside hire. You don't need to keep repeating it! You would not have made from the inside because that would have been too much of a sacrifice.

While you were loading feeders I was serving your country, which I believe is the ultimate sacrifice.

old levi's

blank space
While you were loading feeders I was serving your country, which I believe is the ultimate sacrifice.

You want to go there! I was in the Gulf of Tonkin ( look it up ) when you were still in school.

Since you brought it up, let's talk about your service. Stationed stateside I bet. And who in the hell does 8 years. That's one reenlistment and then you bailed! What happened? Did things around the world start to heat up and what had been a nice 9 to 5 begin to look like it might require more than you were willing to give. Nobody does 8 ! One enlistment or a career is the normal path.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You want to go there! I was in the Gulf of Tonkin ( look it up ) when you were still in school.

Since you brought it up, let's talk about your service. Stationed stateside I bet. And who in the hell does 8 years. That's one reenlistment and then you bailed! What happened? Did things around the world start to heat up and what had been a nice 9 to 5 began to look like it might require more than you were willing to give. Nobody does 8 ! One enlistment or a career is the normal path.

Not that it's really any of your damn business but I had every intention of doing 20. My (ex) wife was a military brat who's Dad served 20+ yrs. She knew how tough being a military brat can be on the children involved so she wanted our children to have stable roots. The ironic part is that I had a line number for tech sgt and got out 6 days before I would have sewn those new stripes on. The sad part is that we moved here to be closer to her family, her parents moved away and we got divorced. My son told me a while ago that she felt bad that she made me get out of the military as she knew that my future there was unlimited.

I served a remote tour in Sicily. No, it wasn't like most remote tours, which are usually in the middle of nowhere. This one wasn't bad at all. The part that sucked was that I was married for two weeks before I left for a year.

As far as working on the inside, I have already conceded that doing so would have given me a greater appreciation for what these kids do for what little they are paid. That being said, you don't have to know how to load them to deliver them.

I would match my work ethic against yours any day of the week. Dave.

old levi's

blank space
Not that it's really any of your damn business but I had every intention of doing 20. My (ex) wife was a military brat who's Dad served 20+ yrs. She knew how tough being a military brat can be on the children involved so she wanted our children to have stable roots. The ironic part is that I had a line number for tech sgt and got out 6 days before I would have sewn those new stripes on. The sad part is that we moved here to be closer to her family, her parents moved away and we got divorced. My son told me a while ago that she felt bad that she made me get out of the military as she knew that my future there was unlimited.

I served a remote tour in Sicily. No, it wasn't like most remote tours, which are usually in the middle of nowhere. This one wasn't bad at all. The part that sucked was that I was married for two weeks before I left for a year.

As far as working on the inside, I have already conceded that doing so would have given me a greater appreciation for what these kids do for what little they are paid. That being said, you don't have to know how to load them to deliver them.

I would match my work ethic against yours any day of the week. Dave.

And you would lose that challenge.

Thanks for answering my thread.. (NOT) Don't you have anything better to do? I ask a basic question and it turns into your disgruntled posts!!!! Find another thread to comment on FADED JEANS!!!!

Re-Raise

I start driving on Monday as a Seasonal Driver, UPS only hires full time drivers within. My ? is does this put my foot in the door at all as a future driver. I'm willing to do part time,after my seasonal job ends, to get in line for a future driver. I scored an 98% on my test at integrad training. I was supposed to be a drivers helper for 2 weeks before they put me on the road, My supervisor stated I caught on to the Diad quick so I start driving a week early.. Does any of this help me with my future with UPS? Thanks in advance on any advice you have!!

Absolutely doing a good job now will help you in getting a full-time driving job in the future. In my area they have to hire 6 inside employees for every 1 outside employee.

By inside employees I mean current part-time UPS employees.

One thing I have learned over the years is things change fast at UPS. They may feel they are adequately staffed today and then a couple of weeks later we don't have enough drivers to cover the routes.

You want to be the first person they think of when they need someone quick.

Good luck next week and remember to take it one stop at a time.

Absolutely doing a good job now will help you in getting a full-time driving job in the future. In my area they have to hire 6 inside employees for every 1 outside employee.

By inside employees I mean current part-time UPS employees.

One thing I have learned over the years is things change fast at UPS. They may feel they are adequately staffed today and then a couple of weeks later we don't have enough drivers to cover the routes.

You want to be the first person they think of when they need someone quick.

Good luck next week and remember to take it one stop at a time.

Thank you for the tips!! My supervisors seem to like me,and complimented me on catching on so fast this week as a driver helper, I was supposed to be a helper all next week also, but they said since I caught on so quick I will start driving Monday.. Have a great weekend!!

pudg00

pudg00
I worked one peak and got hired. Go out and work hard and safe, volunteer to help, and let them know you want to be a full time driver. If you can handle it you have a chance if they are hiring after Dec.

I worked one peak and got hired. Go out and work hard and safe, volunteer to help, and let them know you want to be a full time driver. If you can handle it you have a chance if they are hiring after Dec.

Thanks, I worked my tail off this past week and seem to be pleasing management.. I will give it my all.. Thanks for your advice!!