Seasonal driving question, regarding seniority.

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Legitimyze, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Legitimyze

Legitimyze Member

I work preload loading PCs, I have been here a year. There was a bid sheet posted for peak season for cover drivers. I am debating signing it if it will be helpful in the long run. But I also have another full time job that I am not ready to quit. What I really want to know is that if someone under me in seniority goes driving for peak, and I do not, will they gain any driver seniority over me in the future?

I just dont want to miss the opportunity and fall behind and have to wait even longer for a full time position (which is currently estimated at 8 years..)

2. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

They won't have a leg up on you seniority wise. But it will help them when it comes time to qualifying. I still wouldn't leave a full time job for a couple weeks of possibly driving.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Legitimyze

Legitimyze Member

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to know.

4. Tiredbrown

Tiredbrown Professional box jockey

The only way it would hurt you senority wise is if they decided to keep the peak season driver on as a permanent hire. It does happen on occasion but unless your other full time job would be willing to hire you back if you didn't go permanent I wouldn't do it. It's a big risk for the Longshot that they would keep you permanently.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  5. Box Ox

Box Ox Camacho for President!

Nope, don't quit the full time job. Temp driving banks days toward top rate progression if/when you go full time. And you don't have to fulfill a 30 day probation period if/when you go full time if you knocked it out (outside the holiday season?) as a temp driver. But it in no way gives you any kind of seniority boost over someone who has been around longer.

I can't imagine how that would happen unless it's an off street temp driver hired under the outside hire ratio slot. Wouldn't need a full time bid sheet posted for that.