Seasonal driving question, regarding seniority.

Legitimyze

I work preload loading PCs, I have been here a year. There was a bid sheet posted for peak season for cover drivers. I am debating signing it if it will be helpful in the long run. But I also have another full time job that I am not ready to quit. What I really want to know is that if someone under me in seniority goes driving for peak, and I do not, will they gain any driver seniority over me in the future?

I just dont want to miss the opportunity and fall behind and have to wait even longer for a full time position (which is currently estimated at 8 years..)

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
They won't have a leg up on you seniority wise. But it will help them when it comes time to qualifying. I still wouldn't leave a full time job for a couple weeks of possibly driving.

Tiredbrown

Professional box jockey
The only way it would hurt you senority wise is if they decided to keep the peak season driver on as a permanent hire. It does happen on occasion but unless your other full time job would be willing to hire you back if you didn't go permanent I wouldn't do it. It's a big risk for the Longshot that they would keep you permanently.

Box Ox

Nope, don't quit the full time job. Temp driving banks days toward top rate progression if/when you go full time. And you don't have to fulfill a 30 day probation period if/when you go full time if you knocked it out (outside the holiday season?) as a temp driver. But it in no way gives you any kind of seniority boost over someone who has been around longer.

The only way it would hurt you senority wise is if they decided to keep the peak season driver on as a permanent hire.

I can't imagine how that would happen unless it's an off street temp driver hired under the outside hire ratio slot. Wouldn't need a full time bid sheet posted for that.