Seasonal Feeder Driver Qualifications??

Drake L.

Been driving for about 3 months at averitt. How many years of experience do they want? And what endorsements? Having my cdl already wouldn't that help me with a permanent job there? At Averitt we drive automatics, i learned how to drive a stick at Trucking school but thats about it for a stick. What do you guys think about my limited stick driving skills??

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Been driving for about 3 months at averitt. How many years of experience do they want? And what endorsements? Having my cdl already wouldn't that help me with a permanent job there? At Averitt we drive automatics, i learned how to drive a stick at Trucking school but thats about it for a stick. What do you guys think about my limited stick driving skills??
giphy (5).gif

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I think you need at least a year experience. And you need to be able to drive a stick without looking like an idiot

Drake L.

How do you get a full time feeder position by working seasonal feeder. Is it difficult. What can you do to show them you are worthy of a full time position?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Show up on time with an enthusiastic "can do" attitude. NEVER say "no" if they call to ask you to come to work on short notice. Bust your butt while you are here---let your performance do the talking for you.

Good luck.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
@Drake L. :
  • When there are seasonal feeder jobs posted in your area, they will list the desired experience requirements. But it's a pretty safe bet it will be at least 1 year. If you are a 'road' driver, I suggest you keep track of how many miles you have driven (for the application).
  • Most likely you will need the doubles/triples endorsement.
  • There has to be a need for a permanent job, year-round, for an opening. And then there is a hiring ratio that the union contract has in place that means most likely current employees will fill those feeder jobs. They get a chance to get their CDL and get the job before you. But it can, and does happen that outside people get hired.
  • I can pretty much guarantee you would be road-tested in a stick shift tractor. I recommend you take every opportunity you can get to drive one.

Drake L.

I live in Arkansas and there ups terminal is a good size and my uncle been there for 40 years, I just want to understand what I need to know and do to get into feeder, I don't mind seasonal but some people say they work seasonal for years to get the chance to get full time feeder. What y'all think

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I live in Arkansas and there ups terminal is a good size and my uncle been there for 40 years, I just want to understand what I need to know and do to get into feeder, I don't mind seasonal but some people say they work seasonal for years to get the chance to get full time feeder. What y'all think

I would think that if your uncle has worked there for 40 years that he would have a much better idea than any of us (especially me) on here.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....
Show up on time with an enthusiastic "can do" attitude. NEVER say "no" if they call to ask you to come to work on short notice. Bust your butt while you are here---let your performance do the talking for you.

Good luck.

How could you possibly "bust your butt" as a feeder driver?

Box Ox

You have to be able to down a pint of Ben & Jerry's in the amount of time it takes Joey Chestnut to put away 25 hotdogs.

Not that I'm jealous of feeder drivers or anything.