Seasonal helper in NJ paying union dues...

bonrep

Received no information regarding union membership or dues when hired, filled out no paperwork other than designating a beneficiary in the event of my accidental demise. i am grateful to be working, if only for a short time, and am losing three hours of pay per week for dues..
I would just like to know what I am paying for... any information appreciated...

bonrep

jeez, for ten bucks a month i could have joined a gym and worn cuter clothes...at least i will be in shape and able to move my furniture in the middle of the night when evicted!

superbanki87

I'm a seasonal Driver Helper in NJ as well. Just got my check for last week, worked 24 hours (at a ridiculous 8.50/hr), only to find out I lost a whopping $51 in Union Dues for last week! Double checked my check for the week before that, and lost just over $20 in Union Dues (for 18 hours of work).

What the hell UPS?

I'm a seasonal Driver Helper in NJ as well. Just got my check for last week, worked 24 hours (at a ridiculous 8.50/hr), only to find out I lost a whopping $51 in Union Dues for last week! Double checked my check for the week before that, and lost just over $20 in Union Dues (for 18 hours of work).

What the hell UPS?
That sucks. Helpers make 12.88 an hour where I'm at.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
You are paying an initiation fee for the "privilege" of joining the union. IMO it is totally wrong for the union to extort money from seasonal workers.

In my local, if you don't work 30 days, you can apply for a full refund.
That applies year round.
I think that is fair.
I have asked the company many times to include this information to these helpers during their orientation, but they won't.

The other alternative would be for the company to pay them a more appropriate rate of pay, one that makes the job worthwhile.
If your doing bargaining unit work, you must pay dues in a closed shop.

Nobody is being extorted.
Their being shorted on their hourly rate and their orientation.
The local should insist on being part of the orientation process in the form of a signed acknowledgement by the seasonal employee of their obligation to the union.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

What the hell UPS?
Not UPS ... it is the local Teamsters.
It's not right but that's the way the Teamsters play ball there.
You can try at the Union Hall to get them to return the seized funds ... they may do it.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
12.88 here also. Gave my runner his first check today. I will get the question Monday, what is this initiation coming off of my check?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

In my local, if you don't work 30 days, you can apply for a full refund.
That applies year round.
I think that is fair.
I have asked the company many times to include this information to these helpers during their orientation, but they won't.

The other alternative would be for the company to pay them a more appropriate rate of pay, one that makes the job worthwhile.
If your doing bargaining unit work, you must pay dues in a closed shop.

Nobody is being extorted.
Their being shorted on their hourly rate and their orientation.
The local should insist on being part of the orientation process in the form of a signed acknowledgement by the seasonal employee of their obligation to the union.

If it were just the union dues I wouldn't have as much of a problem with it. I am talking about the $500 initiation fees that some locals are extorting from their seasonal workers. To me that is reprehensible.

mnovak

You are paying an initiation fee for the "privilege" of joining the union. IMO it is totally wrong for the union to extort money from seasonal workers.
What are you saying here? I have not worked except for orientation and now you are telling me I have to pay initiation fee plus union dues. Is that tax deductible? Talk about getting kicked when I'm down!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What are you saying here? I have not worked except for orientation and now you are telling me I have to pay initiation fee plus union dues. Is that tax deductible? Talk about getting kicked when I'm down!

In some locations seasonal employees pay an initiation fee (up to $500) and monthly dues.

Turn in your uniform and pick up your check tomorrow.

cb1969

Sorry, I understand. It is your state, New Jersey is a union state. You should have been informed that you would have to pay dues when you were hired. I'm in a right to work state so they don't take out dues until you sign a union card...In your state the have to by law. Again I am sorry...as I probably would have not take a job for less money then I was told I would receive...HR should have told you about the dues pre-hire...but they don't really care if you stay or not...there are so many behind you and churn and burn seems to be more profitable and the local gets money out of it too!!!!

MassWineGuy

It definitely is extortion. Pay the initiation fee and dues or you don't work.

I've neot heard before of a helper paying these. If it says on your pay stubs that these fees are being deducted, AND you never signed anything agreeing to tho or acknowledging that you understood thia would happen, you can probably get your money back. Each local decides to take these fees or not, so only some of them are blood thirsty leaches.

Talk to a personnel person at the center your driver worked out of. If you get no satisfaction contact the state attorney general's office.