Seasonal helpers '07: The nightmare before Christmas.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
They actualy told us to go thru the 5 seeing habits, 8 keys to lifting and lowering, blah, blah, blah with the helpers. If I started talking about that crap with a helper he would tell me to shut up and lets get working or hang himself.

newbiebrownie

Have orientation on Monday. Wish me luck. :wink2:
I just want to do a good job, and be a help not a hindrance ... God willing I won't trip over my two left feet ... Just kidding.

Don't feel bad, everyone is used to it. This year is no different from any other year, Christmas comes at the same time every year and UPS management still can't perform.

Not entirely true....when I pulled my first season a few years ago we spent almost 4 hours in orientation....we did a lot on the DIADS and it gave them a chance to see who wasn't picking up on it and would need more help...

Griff

Act like an arse.....and I'm sure people are jumping at the chance to improve your day!

Yeah, I guess my actions influence the majority of management across the entire country. One thing this board has taught me is that it isn't different anywhere else. Even the management representation on this board is a vivid reminder of their complete lunacy. Funny thing is, I don't care if they don't fix it, it has become laughable to me. Instead of just putting stuff on those two empty shelves, the preloader just puts the overflow from the jammed over-spa'd shelves on the floor. I never touch it, I leave it all on the floor and stay out later.

Captain America

SuperDAD to the rescue
My route pushes out to all rural at peak but the sups can't seem to hear me when I say that stops should come off. Their answer is a helper and I have stopped fighting it. They need to use a certain amout of helper hours. Thats fine the helper can keep off some of the fatigue and keep my feet dry out there in God's country. They really ought to hire 20 less helpers and get 5 more sesonal drivers out there, but whatever its their company.:tongue_sm:wornout: I am so tired already, lucky I am off this Thanksgiving week and can try to recharge before the Christmas hits the fan,:punk::sleeping:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
:wornout: I am so tired already, lucky I am off this Thanksgiving week and can try to recharge before the Christmas hits the fan,:punk::sleeping:
How true, Captain America.
I am worn out already too. I have been loaded up more than usual the last month and forced to use an early Helper. Great corporate idea, cut out routes and use Helpers early. We were told yesterday that fewer extra peak routes would be put in because of more helpers being added. We have a bunch of empty Packages Cars sitting around while the Drivers are being wore out earlier. I don't know who thinks up this stuff, I feel like a piece of equipment that can just be tossed out and replaced.

Golfnut54481

I've had a helper since the first working day of November. Luckly for me, my helper is an air driver. Knows how to use both diads. I've not been told how many stops in the helper board nor will I ask. Going to stink this next week as he is on vacation.

Last year I had one helper that could barely get in my 800. I was so ticked I couldn't stop laughing. I sent him into one business and sent a message to the center thanking them for the handicap. I got a call shortly thereafter and they came and picked him up. The sup never saw this guy before and was shaking his head. A week or two later the helper they gave me was nothing but eye candy. I could only deal with that for the one day. The last helper I had for the remaining season was the best there will ever be. All you had to do was feed this machine and he would go all out. A worthy five dollar investment. Don't think I worked past seven with him except two days before Christmas. I hope he comes back......

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
The first several peaks I worked for UPS I remember them hiring several peak drivers and having 5 or 6 rental trucks. This was in a small center of maybe 30 drivers. As far as I know there haven't been any peak drivers hired in our area for years. Upper management seems to think that helpers are the way to go nowadays. They never even had enough DIADS to give us two of them so we went out with one. There is only so much sorting a person can do in the back of your car waiting for a helper to return.

They give you 4 or 5 hours of extra work and then tell you to use the helper for no more than 2 hours. Getting in at a decent time isn't even a consideration anymore. Personally I don't want a helper on my car and don't take one if there is any way I can talk them out of it. I have very few stops that a helper can really make a difference on my day. I have so many rural deliveries that they are useless. Once management sees that I don't get in any earlier than normal they usually have not forced one on me.

I'll take a 10 hour day w/o a helper anytime over a 10 hr day with one. Once you show on your time card that a helper has been on your car, your time allowance is shot. Doesn't make any difference if you had one for 2 hours or 8 hours.

BCFan

A few years ago while running a residental route, my solution to a terrible helper would be to send them up a long driveway to deliver a pkg and then pretty much drive on....of course I would call center and alert them of a "broken arrow" BC (not Boston College)

lovetokayak

I started out as a peak helper, than worked as seasonal driver also. I recently got hired on as a full time permanent driver due to retirements in our center. I don't want to hijack this thread, but being a woman, I was wondering how many other ladies are out there working/worked as helpers and what experiences have you had?
Sorry again if this is off the course.

bitter to the bone

I am working as a driver helper for the first time this year (I am an inside employee) and I can honestly say that during the orientation I don't think they take enought time to work with you in the operation of the diad boards:surprised:. I think I got like 10 minutes tops to "learn" how to operate it and I for one can say that it wasn't enough for me.

Thankfully my first day out I was with a driver who did everything with the diads and all I had to do when there was a signature needed was have the customer sign and get their first initial, last name , spelling
of it, report the info to the driver and the driver did the rest.

I know the next time I go out, I might not be so lucky . I know I'll have to operate the diad myself and I hope the driver I'm with won't mind giving me a quick refresher on the diad basics ( i know once I start using the diad out in the field that it will be easier for me as I am a hands on learner but I need a little more time than 10 minutes)

So before all you drivers gripe about the helpers not knowing how to use the diad boards, consider the fact that in most cases the "training" we received was very shoddy at best or virtually non-existant. There are some of us out there who want to do our best and help the drivers we are with all we ask is a little guidance when we need it is all (remember when you guys/gals had to learn the operation of the diad, I bet it took you more than 10 minutes)

upsdude

My center has been using FT senior drivers as helpers for the last 2 weeks. The drivers (being used as helpers) have also been told they will receive helper pay. The BA said the folks have to wait until they get a check to file. The BA seems too busy pushing for “YES” votes to deal with anything else.

VTBrown

Senior or "in progression" drivers.

If they are in progression they get the pay from what ever job classification they are working based upon their current seniority.

2Slow

We just tell managment that we are going to do what works. Sometimes (according to the flavor of the week) we will put some stops in the helper board ourselves.
I have told managment before that if a particular helper were sent out to me again, I would not stop the truck to let them on. Managment doesn't seem to have the stomach for the fight so long as we are getting something done.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I am working as a driver helper for the first time this year (I am an inside employee) and I can honestly say that during the orientation I don't think they take enought time to work with you in the operation of the diad boards:surprised:. I think I got like 10 minutes tops to "learn" how to operate it and I for one can say that it wasn't enough for me.

Thankfully my first day out I was with a driver who did everything with the diads and all I had to do when there was a signature needed was have the customer sign and get their first initial, last name , spelling
of it, report the info to the driver and the driver did the rest.

I know the next time I go out, I might not be so lucky . I know I'll have to operate the diad myself and I hope the driver I'm with won't mind giving me a quick refresher on the diad basics ( i know once I start using the diad out in the field that it will be easier for me as I am a hands on learner but I need a little more time than 10 minutes)

So before all you drivers gripe about the helpers not knowing how to use the diad boards, consider the fact that in most cases the "training" we received was very shoddy at best or virtually non-existant. There are some of us out there who want to do our best and help the drivers we are with all we ask is a little guidance when we need it is all (remember when you guys/gals had to learn the operation of the diad, I bet it took you more than 10 minutes)

The last time I checked, it was up to a supervisor to train employees. Honor the contract.

brown bomber

brown bomber
I was just made aware recently that a few of our pkg. car drivers are being moved up to feeders on the Monday after Thanksgiving...they went through the training earlier this year and took a refresher course over the past week...now we're down a few more drivers, add in an injury or illness...which is certain to happen and we're down 3 or 4 drivers...no extra drivers added to the center

the majority of our drivers are nearing 50 years of age, or have surpassed that age..we all try like hell to do the job, most of us are doing more stops/ hr then 20 yrs. ago....and it's not because of "technological" advances, or "improved "

VTBrown

I was just made aware recently that a few of our pkg. car drivers are being moved up to feeders on the Monday after Thanksgiving...they went through the training earlier this year and took a refresher course over the past week...now we're down a few more drivers, add in an injury or illness...which is certain to happen and we're down 3 or 4 drivers...no extra drivers added to the center

the majority of our drivers are nearing 50 years of age, or have surpassed that age..we all try like hell to do the job, most of us are doing more stops/ hr then 20 yrs. ago....and it's not because of "technological" advances, or "improved "

Really....power steering and lower steps? Wider Door openings? Automatics and urban sprawl couldn't possibly be a reason your doing more could it? Not even mentioning the diad.