Seasonal Package Handler - Is it worth it to stay?

Tempest

Out Like a Light
Hey everyone, I'm new.

I've been hired to work at the UPS Hub in Orlando, FL. I've been there for two weeks now, and I've finally made it past the initial "sore and sick of it" feeling, and I'm actually at the point where I really like the job (loader) for what it is. My main reason for coming to work for UPS was because I wanted to make a career out of it, and this seemed like the right place.

Anyways, I applied in early August for the position, but apparantly, they held back on hiring a lot of us until the seasonal period kicked in. I still said yes, although I had applied for the same job at FedEx a while after (since I didn't hear anything back from UPS in two months).

As I said, I like the place and the potential, but I'm starting to see that being a seasonal worker is incredibly bad when it comes to seniority, status and everything in between. Not only that, but I've already been sent home when I was supposed to work, and I suspect it's because I'm a new hire and I have to take the bullet. I'm not a complainer when it comes to that -- I get it. But, my question is if this is worth it? I'll need a second job to work for a few days just to make ends meet, since this job doesn't pay well in the beginning.

So, for a person who's here as a seasonal worker with some expected odds and cons against me, should I still stick it out? If FedEx calls, should I take the spot there (they pay more but I'd still be seasonal)? I know it's my choice, but I'm just hoping some of you have advice. The knowledge you guys have about UPS' long term potential and short term drawbacks outweighs mine, so I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.

akaarinc

I have been a driver for 5 years from what I have seen no one is truley happy. Right know ups is uncharted territory. The company is so hellbent on cutting cost that they cut routes even when they dont need to cut routes. Long term I really dont know what to say. Everything is very uncertain right now. Like I said I have 5 years senority, but right now thats not good enough. We have layoff lists everyday and peak is comming but come January even with 5 years senority I might not have a job. Basically there is no right answer and if anyone tells you they know what will happen they are lying. If I were you I would stay, find another job for more income and still look around for something else. These are scary times and no one is safe.

UPSGUY72

If you want a long time career at ups don't worry about the seasonal title right know. They will hiring you on as full time the first of the year if follow 2 rules.

1. Show up to work EVERY DAY no matter what they don't care about your excuses just show up.

2. When you show put in 100% effort. That is what there looking for. IF your fooling around and not doing your work then they won't tell you to come back after the first of the year.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I was a helper during Denver's Christmas Blizzard of 2006. I was called back the day after they let us go. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. The benefits were great (I'll take flack for this), the schedule was ideal and the work certainly kept the pounds off. In the end, yes, it is your choice but remember this: UPS has been around for over 100 years for a reason. -Rocky

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I have been a driver for 5 years from what I have seen no one is truley happy. Right know ups is uncharted territory. The company is so hellbent on cutting cost that they cut routes even when they dont need to cut routes. Long term I really dont know what to say. Everything is very uncertain right now. Like I said I have 5 years senority, but right now thats not good enough. We have layoff lists everyday and peak is comming but come January even with 5 years senority I might not have a job. Basically there is no right answer and if anyone tells you they know what will happen they are lying. If I were you I would stay, find another job for more income and still look around for something else. These are scary times and no one is safe.

Speak for yourself. I love my job and am happy with all that entails.

evilleace

It is up to you yes seasonal sucks I got the shaft on benefits, raises, seniority, and back pay I will have been there almost 9 months before I get a raise. But it is a personal decision I am very happy with my job and would do the seasonal again just to get the job in the first place. But I am here for the long haul and will stick it out to become a driver so if that is your goal stay if not it is up to you but I love my job and the people I work with and would do it all again just to be at UPS. But if you are unhappy leave there is no job worth being unhappy for.

foundinload

if you're unsure of what you want to do then you might as well stay, especially since you like the job. even with the new contract you'll still get health benefits after a year and that's better than you can get almost anywhere else.

oakcreekteamie

Either way you cut the cheese its gonna smell. Number of reasons: no Earn &Learn for schooling and no benes. Plus, for all you know you could work the season and be let go! But as of now all you can do is bust your ass and show em' that they would be fools not to hire you permanently. Good Luck to you and BRING ON PEAK!!!

bears2

Most ups'er have had to paid their dues. Sometimes work stinks but its a great paying job with great benefits. For the most part i guess it has the best job security of any labor job in america right now. Turn on the news anyday an you will be happy you at least have your foot in the door at ups.

PAUPSER

I really cant see many benefits of being a seasonal package handler this year, outside the fact that you get insurance, low pay, no college pay assistance, with the state of the economy very few if any seasonal package handlers will be offered permanent employment after peak. I have many drivers at my center with 20+ years experience tell be that the starting wage of a package handler today is almost the same starting wage they got as a package handler 20 years ago! However as stated before at least if you get hired as a temp you have your foot in the door to at least show them what you got! Good luck!