Seasonal package handler - should I apply now or wait til after PEAK?

Well,

I have another contract-type office job on the line that pays me about 12/hr. However, I want to work for UPS as a package handler so I can take advantage of the educational assistance.

Should I wait until after Christmas season (late Jan - Feb) to apply to a permanent position?

I have read the FAQs and even tho you guys say that it's "more common" for handler to turn into something permanent because of high-turnover, it is still not a guarantee and I don't want to blow my chance with the other contract job.

What do you guys think??? BTW the hub I want to work for is in Doraville GA (I live 5 mins away from that hub, literally!!)

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Well,

I have another contract-type office job on the line that pays me about 12/hr. However, I want to work for UPS as a package handler so I can take advantage of the educational assistance.

Should I wait until after Christmas season (late Jan - Feb) to apply to a permanent position?

I have read the FAQs and even tho you guys say that it's "more common" for handler to turn into something permanent because of high-turnover, it is still not a guarantee and I don't want to blow my chance with the other contract job.

What do you guys think??? BTW the hub I want to work for is in Doraville GA (I live 5 mins away from that hub, literally!!)
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1445554843.756333.jpg

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Depends on where you are. January and February tend to be a little slow in the hiring department. Getting seasonal work as a package handler will get your foot in the door to become permanent, unless you are a total washout.

Depends on where you are. January and February tend to be a little slow in the hiring department. Getting seasonal work as a package handler will get your foot in the door to become permanent, unless you are a total washout.

Thanks Joe,

I live in GA, and the hub is in Doraville GA (off spaghetti junction -- locals will know exactly what I'm talking about.)

Well, the reason I have to choose between working seasonal for UPS or working that contract job is because of the 2k I'd need for school in the Spring. If I cannot convert the seasonal job into a permanent part-time then I am screwed.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Thanks Joe,

I live in GA, and the hub is in Doraville GA (off spaghetti junction -- locals will know exactly what I'm talking about.)

Well, the reason I have to choose between working seasonal for UPS or working that contract job is because of the 2k I'd need for school in the Spring. If I cannot convert the seasonal job into a permanent part-time then I am screwed.

Student loans?

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Thanks Joe,

I can't tell you what to do. UPS has been good to me and I to them. Chances are you would be asked to be permanent but it is no guarantee. If you know anybody that works in that hub ask them. I'm just a broken down old driver from Ohio.

Geovanni

I had a question sorry i couldnt find how to make a new thread but i applied to be a package handler on monday and went to the appointment/interview on monday. But i want to apply for the airport on air ramp postion they have since i remeber the hr person saying they needed people desperately. Should i apply and go to another appointment or??

PT Car Washer

I had a question sorry i couldnt find how to make a new thread but i applied to be a package handler on monday and went to the appointment/interview on monday. But i want to apply for the airport on air ramp postion they have since i remeber the hr person saying they needed people desperately. Should i apply and go to another appointment or??
Think about why they are desperate to fill airport slots. The job must suck more then working in the hub for the same money or less and less hours and working outdoors on an airfield. The best part of working at the airport is less paid hours working outside in minus 20 temps this winter.

Geovanni

Think about why they are desperate to fill airport slots. The job must suck more then working in the hub for the same money or less and less hours and working outdoors on an airfield. The best part of working at the airport is less paid hours working outside in minus 20 temps this winter.

True but a job is a job .