Seasonal preloaders

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Preloaders are a waste of time, money and benefits. Been saying that for years. Make the job harder for the drivers thats for sure. Not completely there fault though because their not trained correctly and the dol system is broke and doesnt work anyway. Im not saying all preloaders suck but the biggest majority of them do. Better off having drivers loading their own trucks and having 2 driver shifts. 1st shift higher senior drivers whove earned that right to come in earlier and get home to their families earlier and 2nd shift come in later, run alot of bulk and do most of the bulk pickups, start later and get off later. Doing this would take care of all the crappyasczz loads, and misloads and drivers would be alot more efficient. Once again though anything that makes sense the company wont do anyway lol.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I disagree to a point with the previous post. Our volume is to the point where a driver sort and load would not make economic sense. My preloader does a very good job and I will have no problem handing a $100 bill on Christmas Eve. I always wait until the last day to tip him to make sure he shows up that day. :) It's not the training or lack thereof that hurts the preload----they simply don't have enough time to do their jobs properly and are pushed off the belt way too early. If it were me I would rather pay someone $10-20/hr to wrap up than someone $25-33/hour to finish it for them.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Preloaders are a waste of time, money and benefits. Been saying that for years. Make the job harder for the drivers thats for sure. Not completely there fault though because their not trained correctly and the dol system is broke and doesnt work anyway. Im not saying all preloaders suck but the biggest majority of them do. Better off having drivers loading their own trucks and having 2 driver shifts. 1st shift higher senior drivers whove earned that right to come in earlier and get home to their families earlier and 2nd shift come in later, run alot of bulk and do most of the bulk pickups, start later and get off later. Doing this would take care of all the crappyasczz loads, and misloads and drivers would be alot more efficient. Once again though anything that makes sense the company wont do anyway lol.
Oh sure...get rid of thousands of hard working people...who are, by the way, your union brothers and sisters.

HardknocksUPSer

Like a driver will load 350 peices on his truck for 11$ hr? Yeah right...

HardknocksUPSer

I disagree to a point with the previous post. Our volume is to the point where a driver sort and load would not make economic sense. My preloader does a very good job and I will have no problem handing a $100 bill on Christmas Eve. I always wait until the last day to tip him to make sure he shows up that day. :) It's not the training or lack thereof that hurts the preload----they simply don't have enough time to do their jobs properly and are pushed off the belt way too early. If it were me I would rather pay someone $10-20/hr to wrap up than someone $25-33/hour to finish it for them.
Exactly!

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Like a driver will load 350 peices on his truck for 11$ hr? Yeah right...
Drivers have done that before they drove, just remember we all drank out of the same cup some time or another before moving up the food chain. I totally agree with ya, not taking a shot at ya at all. They dont pay them enough for the hard work loaders have to do and it is hard to find good help. My main thing is alot of loaders may have the skill and drive to be sucessful at that job but their not going to give loaders the tools or resources to be sucesful at loading. Basically setting them up for failure from the get go is basically the main point im trying to get at. Bad training with a system that is broken and doesnt work.

Legitimyze

My hub must be the only exception, I was trained decently. They told me how to do the job and helped me for a few weeks to a month until I could operate on my own. I was told how to load specific trucks in a different way besides the label numbers. Also I ask the drivers where they would prefer certain things, or if I am doing something wrong. My supervisors are not complete :censored2:s, the way I came to expect with coming here and reading different threads. I mean sometimes they yell at some people, but I was expecting the to just be complete dicks 100% of the time. I guess I just got lucky.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
My hub must be the only exception, I was trained decently. They told me how to do the job and helped me for a few weeks to a month until I could operate on my own. I was told how to load specific trucks in a different way besides the label numbers. Also I ask the drivers where they would prefer certain things, or if I am doing something wrong. My supervisors are not complete :censored2:s, the way I came to expect with coming here and reading different threads. I mean sometimes they yell at some people, but I was expecting the to just be complete dicks 100% of the time. I guess I just got lucky.
Would say lucky and you my friend obviously seem like you use the things alot of loaders lack, GOOD WORK ETHIC AND INTELLIGENCE:happy:

HardknocksUPSer

Drivers have done that before they drove, just remember we all drank out of the same cup some time or another before moving up the food chain. I totally agree with ya, not taking a shot at ya at all. They dont pay them enough for the hard work loaders have to do and it is hard to find good help. My main thing is alot of loaders may have the skill and drive to be sucessful at that job but their not going to give loaders the tools or resources to be sucesful at loading. Basically setting them up for failure from the get go is basically the main point im trying to get at. Bad training with a system that is broken and doesnt work.
I got ya and agree deffinately, they try to build a soldier in a day or two!

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

Drivers loading their own trucks would never make economic sense. jumpman23 needs to realize that Kei'Shaun and LeTonya loading his truck for $10/hour is essentially subsidizing his nearly $34/hour paychek.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Preloading is miserable. Get up in the middle of the night, do 5 hours worth of work in 3.5 hours, discover an hour into the sort that dispatch made one of your cars entirely in the 8000s & have to spend time fixing the load, get micromanaged from 3-5 people who just want you to toss stuff on the car and don't get a dang where it goes, etc.

Typically, Preloaders are either middle-aged and seeking insurance or very young, appealing to the $10-11 wage vs. $7.20 at Mc'Ds. If UPS were to offer driver wages for its Preload, the quality pool of employees applying for the job would be dramaticlly different.

letticesandwich

For me, I was laid off as a seasonal preloader Christmas Eve. It kinda stung but a part time sup said just wait. Hired Permanently part time the following May. Year later signed the bid list for driver and now have 6 months seniority for driving.

For the OP or any seasonal preload, even if laid off at Christmas, stick it out. I now have a job with benefits, pension, 401k and great income potential coming from a seasonal preload position.

About preload though, it is a beast. I always put load was acceptable even if it was :censored2:, just because of the experience. Put 500 pieces in a tiny truck, then dig through it for ad cuts at 8:30 in the morning. While pulling irregs off the belt, making space for a surprise bulk stop on another car. Get stacked out careful not to misload, and have 3 totes stacked to sort. Not everyday is like that, but you understand. Its not just put a package in a car. Man, I can still see 30 tires for Costco coming down the belt to an already packed truck.

PT Car Washer

Preloading is miserable. Get up in the middle of the night, do 5 hours worth of work in 3.5 hours, discover an hour into the sort that dispatch made one of your cars entirely in the 8000s & have to spend time fixing the load, get micromanaged from 3-5 people who just want you to toss stuff on the car and don't get a dang where it goes, etc.

Typically, Preloaders are either middle-aged and seeking insurance or very young, appealing to the $10-11 wage vs. $7.20 at Mc'Ds. If UPS were to offer driver wages for its Preload, the quality pool of employees applying for the job would be dramaticlly different.
When I started on preload we made like $.50/hr less then drivers. Misloads were unheard of.

HardknocksUPSer

The loaders get the brunt but it all starts with bad training, i think we can all agree on that one. You see on this job, its mostly learn on the fly because lazyasczz supes aint worth a damm lol.
Exactly, I've had 75 RDR's come at me at once and guess who pulled the belt while I slung all those off? Not the sup..

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Why is it when you complain about the crappy loads your idiot loader throws in your truck, the supes always look at you like you are a spoiled prima donna.