Seasonal preloaders

trickpony1

I said that when you're flat broke, you'll jump at anything that'll put some money in your pocket.

You've got a good attitude.

Unfortunately there are too many people that have a "sense of entitlement" and expect everything to be handed to them on a silver platter.

I hope you do well.

MattE

Fwiw I've been on preload for over 2 years. In that time I've had 6 preload supervisors. And they expect them to train the new hires. Which is near impossible since they don't have a clue how to load either. And when the other preloaders complain about how overwhelmed they are, they believe them. I loaded 4-5 cars last peak with little to no help. The new ones struggle with 2-3. Anyway the point being, in my center at least, it's been the blind leading the blind for a while now. I do feel sorry for our drivers.

Oh and to the op. I was laid off dec 24th my first year. But had started in August so knew they would call me back. About 2 weeks later they did. Been there ever since.

I have yet to actually load a truck. They just have me handing packages off the belt to the loader(s) next to me or, push the packages on down the line to the other trucks. If they do let me go on the 24th, I will have only worked 48 total hours. That plus the three hours for orientation, it's 51 hours. Barely enough time to where I'm not sore coming home. Here's hoping I get called back.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I have yet to actually load a truck. They just have me handing packages off the belt to the loader(s) next to me or, push the packages on down the line to the other trucks. If they do let me go on the 24th, I will have only worked 48 total hours. That plus the three hours for orientation, it's 51 hours. Barely enough time to where I'm not sore coming home. Here's hoping I get called back.
As long as you show up on time, work as directed, and don't tick anyone off you should be fine. Part time has a huge turnover rate so your chances are pretty good unless you are a total loser.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If they're not even letting you load...you are a Christmas wedge...you're probably not coming back, from what I've seen.

oldngray

nowhere special
a_christmas_wedgie_by_animekid0839-d35nktj.jpg

Well that's just great! I've done everything I've been asked to do. Worked my ass off each day keeping packages from backing up. Man this is awfully frustrating for a part time job. But I'm here for as long as they'll keep me.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Well that's just great! I've done everything I've been asked to do. Worked my ass off each day keeping packages from backing up. Man this is awfully frustrating for a part time job. But I'm here for as long as they'll keep me.
Wow...Each day, all by yourself? Tell me more! (No, please don't.)

HBGPreloader

Depends on volume.
Yes, it depends on volume - and the location. Here, good seasonal hires are normally kept until the first week of January.

The building I'm at is still trying to find hand hire help to get through peak. Supervisors are begging the part timers to work extra hours.

And, we just ran a 9 hour preload shift this morning.

margaritaville

What i dont get is why the part time preload supes encourage people to "chuck air" and other stuff towards the front of the truck when they want to wrap up. Just set it on the floor in the back or something. Its so annoying that the people that are suppose to lead the loaders can be so :censored2:y.

Like a loader can do a good job loading the truck than some stupid supe will just walk down the built chucking the rest in for wrap up. Shouldnt be able to get away with that.

browner89

What i dont get is why the part time preload supes encourage people to "chuck air" and other stuff towards the front of the truck when they want to wrap up. Just set it on the floor in the back or something. Its so annoying that the people that are suppose to lead the loaders can be so :censored2:y.

Like a loader can do a good job loading the truck than some stupid supe will just walk down the built chucking the rest in for wrap up. Shouldnt be able to get away with that.

Some, most, Sups are people that either can't or never have done the job.

I was offered a supervisor position, and turned it down, thankfully, within 2 weeks of beginning to work at UPS. What the hell did I know then? Absolutely nothing. Other sups I've seen were too slow, inefficient, or just plain awful at doing anything right when they accepted the supervisor position.

I still get asked to be a sup on a ~monthly basis but its basically because I run the section I work at right now. My Sup is usually MIA and everyone with any question comes to me anyways (one reason why I love this place, you can learn a lot reading the right areas to help yourself and those you actually like). Not a job I'd want but at least I've been around long enough to properly train new hires in my area and try to steer them away from the BS, something my sup can't do.

On top of not really knowing the area they supervise, they are constantly harassed by those above them to get everything done better and faster. Better and faster don't always mesh, it's generally one or the other until you become very good at what you do. So any means necessary to get their owner management off of their back, even if it means screwing those who report to them.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
1st shift higher senior drivers whove earned that right to come in earlier and get home to their families earlier and 2nd shift come in later, run alot of bulk and do most of the bulk pickups, start later and get off later..
That's flawed if you're talking about families...The younger guys are the ones with the younger kids usually...so in this system you wouldn't be able to get home to enjoy your "family" until it's grown up and going off to college ;)