Seasonal PT Package Handler here, woop woop!

Reesebomb

Hey fellow UPSers!

My name is Reese and I found this forum looking for some info on the job...Cool thing happened- I got hired for seasonal in October and last night my supervisor asked me if I would be interested in being a PT supervisor...

To put it lightly YES I'm absolutely interested, and I thought this would be a good place to get some advice and answers to some questions:

*What types of questions might they ask during the interview process?

*What is one of the most challenging things for a PT supervisor?

*What qualities are they looking for?

*What's the worst thing that comes with the position?

*Can a supervisor also be a trainer or are those always two separate gigs?

*Is anybody here a PT supervisor that also has a second job and if so how is that going for ya?

If anybody wants to answer any of these I would appreciate it immensely!

Thanks, Reese

Reesebomb

:backingout::backingout::backingout:
You wonder why they offer someone who's been here less than amonth a PT sup position?

Ah I see. I understand why that would be un-nerving. Puts it in a different perspective. Maybe they just really need part time sups. Or maybe I'm JUST THAT AWESOME!!!

(Probably the first one...) I really want it though. I think I'd be good for it.

rod

Retired 22 years
Don't expect to change anything even if you think you could-----just say "how high" when they say "jump".

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Ah I see. I understand why that would be un-nerving. Puts it in a different perspective. Maybe they just really need part time sups. Or maybe I'm JUST THAT AWESOME!!!

(Probably the first one...) I really want it though. I think I'd be good for it.
You've worked here...a month...which part of your job are you "awesome" at? Most seniority employees don't want to be a PT sup....that's why they ask the new hires. You'll be basically tellling people how to do their job when YOU don't know how to do their jobs...lol.

Reesebomb

You've worked here...a month...which part of your job are you "awesome" at? Most seniority employees don't want to be a PT sup....that's why they ask the new hires. You'll be basically tellling people how to do their job when YOU don't know how to do their jobs...lol.

Let's try not to assume that someone is ill-equipped to handle their job solely based on how long they've been there. A person can learn a LOT in a few weeks if they're ambitious enough, which I am. I've simply been offered an opportunity that I am going to take. Which part of my job am I "awesome" at? I'm not here to prove myself to anyone, I simply came to this forum looking for advice and pointers, that is all.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Yoda_Empire_Strikes_Back.png

Seduced by the dark side this youngling is.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Let's try not to assume that someone is ill-equipped to handle their job solely based on how long they've been there. A person can learn a LOT in a few weeks if they're ambitious enough, which I am. I've simply been offered an opportunity that I am going to take. Which part of my job am I "awesome" at? I'm not here to prove myself to anyone, I simply came to this forum looking for advice and pointers, that is all.
Yes yes...chances are you will be supervising people who've been here longer than you, can do the job better and make more money than you....lmao. You need a pointer...better learn how to eat crow....it's the PT sup breakfast of champions.

PT Car Washer

You most likely will be doing more hourly work the most hourlies and being yelled at by your FT sup or manager as to why your area is so screwed up and all the supervisor working grievances filed on you.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
You most likely will be doing more hourly work the most hourlies and being yelled at by your FT sup or manager as to why your area is so screwed up and all the supervisor working grievances filed on you.
The idealistic....oh I must be awesome and that's why they offered me a promotion....I'm going to change things! No, you're going to quit in 6 months because you have no idea what you're getting into. We know...that's why we're chuckling and shaking our heads. lol

Reesebomb

The idealistic....oh I must be awesome and that's why they offered me a promotion....I'm going to change things! No, you're going to quit in 6 months because you have no idea what you're getting into. We know...that's why we're chuckling and shaking our heads. lol
I do understand where you're coming from. "Here comes this new person who doesn't know what she's getting into... what a noob". I totally get it.
Can't blame me for wanting to try though. Heck, I won't know if it's something I can do unless I try. Whether I hate it and quit or I fail miserably, at least I'll have the experience and can move on to something else with what I've learned. What else can ya do, ya know?

I do understand where you're coming from. "Here comes this new person who doesn't know what she's getting into... what a noob". I totally get it.
Can't blame me for wanting to try though. Heck, I won't know if it's something I can do unless I try. Whether I hate it and quit or I fail miserably, at least I'll have the experience and can move on to something else with what I've learned. What else can ya do, ya know?
They go after new hires,because they havent been tarnished by the evil yet.

Part time sups are looked down on. By full time management and all union workers.

You gotta eat,do what your heart tells you.

Good luck,in your journey.

smapple

I love it when my PT supe comes in my trailer and says "This is how you do it" and then proceeds to unload boxes on the belt at lightening speed for 30 seconds and watch 80% of it fall off the sides and then tell me to make sure to keep my egress clear for safety reasons.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I love it when my PT supe comes in my trailer and says "This is how you do it" and then proceeds to unload boxes on the belt at lightening speed for 30 seconds and watch 80% of it fall off the sides and then tell me to make sure to keep my egress clear for safety reasons.
If he's showing you how to do your job....there's a reason.

smapple

If he's showing you how to do your job....there's a reason.

I don't mind if he tells me what the problem is (i'm thinking just not unloading fast enough) but at least show me how to do it properly if he's gonna show me at all. 8/10 times the PT supe comes in my trailer he makes a mess and leaves, then I gotta spend time clearing it up. Like last week he moves all the heavy/oversized irregs to the left wall but he double stacked to the side so the belt couldn't move up and we're not even 1/3 way into the trailer, and he says "that's how you do it" and leaves. A supe from the sort comes in and asks wtf this mess in the trailer was, I explain it to him and he just says okay and leaves.

J

jibbs

Reese, if you want it, go for it.

If you were offered the job, you'll get it if you go through all the steps. I'm not sure what those steps are, to be honest, other than taking a test online (MAP test, I think), which I've been told is pretty difficult to do badly on.

I'm not sure about all your questions, but I think the worst thing that comes with the position is your lack of union protection. You're completely at the mercy of your higher-ups, whereas management has contractual obligations they need to keep in mind when they try to dick around an hourly employee. Not so if your boss doesn't like you as a supervisor.

Also, as far as the possibility of hating the job and quitting it goes, keep in mind that I don't think it's possible to slide back into an hourly position if a management one doesn't work out. I'm under the impression that you would have to quit, re-apply for a union job, and get rehired if you wanted to stay at UPS in a non-supervisory capacity after accepting the "promotion."