Seasonal Question

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Mxryan490, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Mxryan490

Mxryan490 New Member

I am currently a permanent package handler at a hub. My question is if I want to be a seasonal/holiday driver or driver helper will I be able to come back to my permanent package handler position after the holidays?

2. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Just a turd

Yes as long as you don't do anything to get fired while working as a seasonal driver

3. Can't see why not. Do they have temporary cover drivers there?

4. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Tell them you want to be a TCD.

5. Mxryan490

Mxryan490 New Member

Awesome I just wasn't sure if I would be replaced during peak if I left my permanent position. I just want to get out and get some experience doing what I want to make my career and driving. Thanks for the response

6. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

If a seasonal driver you will be replaced during peak but should be able to get you position back afterwards. If you are a driver helper you are still responsible for doing your hub job.

7. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Watch out for dogs and mailboxes.

8. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

If you go driver helper, you work your normal permanent position, then work helper for the extra money. I don't think you can work the helper spot if it interferes with your normal shift, only shift they wouldn't be able to work around is the day sort.

9. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Just a turd

Go in as a helper at 5 or 6 at night.
    BOOM! Just blew your mind

10. upschuck

upschuck Avatar bet gone wrong

Usually sort still running at 5, 6 would be possible, but what driver wants a helper for two hours? 20 mins of that is getting and giving up of the helper.

11. Turdferguson

Turdferguson Just a turd

Where do you work. They don't care,what driver wants

12. UpstateNYUPSer

I have insiders from both the preload and metro as helpers. The preloaders had their hours capped and were usually dragging after only a few hours. The metro helpers worked hard but had to be off the car earlier than I would have liked.

13. FrigidFTSup

FrigidFTSup Resident Suit

You must have a generous IE department. 2 hours of helping was the average last peak for us

14. UpstateNYUPSer

We would have lost most of our helpers if they were limited to only 2 hours per day.

15. StoptheAct1212

StoptheAct1212 Active Member

U can do both. Just if your slacking on your normal position or running out of hours... no more helper.... plus if they send me a helper for 2 hours, its a waste of time..

16. StoptheAct1212

StoptheAct1212 Active Member

Im sorry, your a permanent employee... your in..you always have your loading job.. . if for some reason you can drive for the season... jump on it... let management sort it out... then u go back to load once all dies out