Seasonal walker working outdoors...scarves not allowed??

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Ahhhh!! Yeah my entire uniform is between two and three sizes too big for me, depending on the piece because they claimed they've never needed to have such sizes available. The pants are a men's 30, and my waist is a 27 and I have rather short legs so the pants to a really awkward baggy/hovering up near my chest sort of thing. I asked my trainer if she had anything smaller and she didn't bother looking further and just told me no. She didn't have a belt for me either and told me to buy my own. Not to mention I don't feel particularly professional looking when my coat engulfs me. I'm sort of hoping my driver suggests the same thing, I haven't gotten to meet him yet (Tomorrow!) so we'll see what he says. I don't understand, they must have SOME smaller women working for them. Oh well, I'm not really going to make a big deal of it since I am temporary. I may hem the pants myself, though.

Hem the pants with duct tape. What you do is put them on inside out, pull the legs up to the correct length, and then hold them in place with a piece of duct tape. Then take them off, and run a "hem" of duct tape around the entire circumference of the leg. They will then be "hemmed" to the correct length. Turn them back right side out, and you are done. The tape wont show since its on the inside. If you use heavy duty tape, you can even wash it.

Once you have done all that, go ahead and bring your own properly-fitting denim pants or khakis or whatever along with you anyway. There is about a 99% chance that the driver you are assigned to isnt going to give a damn one way or the other whether you wear "official" uniform pants or not, and if you tell him the issued pants dont fit he will tell you wear your own. As far as the coat being baggy, you will probably have to put up with that. Too big is better than too small, it gives you more room underneath to layer your clothing to adjust for changings temps.

I Am Jacks Damaged Box

***** Club Member (can't talk about it)
Ahhhh!! Yeah my entire uniform is between two and three sizes too big for me, depending on the piece because they claimed they've never needed to have such sizes available. The pants are a men's 30, and my waist is a 27 and I have rather short legs so the pants to a really awkward baggy/hovering up near my chest sort of thing. I asked my trainer if she had anything smaller and she didn't bother looking further and just told me no. She didn't have a belt for me either and told me to buy my own.

That's logistics.

jaker

trolling
I have to say I would agree with most of the stuff said here

But I will not have my helper out of uniform at all , I will deal with it for a day but the next day they better have it right

Now I am not being a hardas about it but no blue jeans or white shoes , I don't care what pants you want to wear but they must be brown and your shoes must be black they don't have to be boots like HR says

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I have to say I would agree with most of the stuff said here

But I will not have my helper out of uniform at all , I will deal with it for a day but the next day they better have it right

Now I am not being a hardas about it but no blue jeans or white shoes , I don't care what pants you want to wear but they must be brown and your shoes must be black they don't have to be boots like HR says

I have had helpers who were never issued a uniform at all. I wind up giving them one of my jackets and maybe a spare hat. We have work to do, and I aint the fashion police.

My preference would be for my helper to wear a complete and correct uniform, but in the case of females I have yet to ever see one who was issued items that fit her properly. And for the $9 or $10 an hour they are being paid, they should not have to be buying belts or paying to have pants altered or hemmed. As long as they are wearing safe and proper footwear, and something brown with a UPS logo on it, I could care less about the rest.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
So I tried to find out if there was already a topic on this or not and came up with nothing. I was just hired as a seasonal driver-helper, and I live in a city that easily gets down to anywhere between -25 to -40 celsius, not including wind chill. I'm going to be working outdoors my entire shift, as I'll be delivering in a residential area. When I received my uniform I asked about a scarf, as the jacket doesn't have a collar or a hood (Although I was given a hat). I suggested that I could knit myself a really simple, plain cowl to wear when it gets colder, as I have yarn in the same brown as the uniform, and I was told only if it wasn't visible...this answer is obviously ridiculous because the whole point of a cowl or a scarf is to cover my neck, and the jacket doesn't even do that on its own.

I was wondering if anybody was told differently about this, since I think its a little unreasonable considering the climate that I live in...I'm actually surprised its even an issue at all. I'm likely to knit and wear one anyways, because I'd rather be warm, but is this going to become an problem?
1st - how about in friend. 2nd - considering that we have jumpers in street clothes I wouldn't worry to much. Personally, I would tell my jumper to wear what keeps you warm, with a degree of common sense.

Last edited:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Imagine this with a hood and you would have my favorite cold weather gaiter. Terramar Thermolator Neck Gaiter (For Men and Women) - Save 35%

I also carry a lighter neck gaiter without a hood for when it is chilly, but not cold enough for the heavier fleece jobby.

The hardest part about dressing for the weather is balancing between warm enough when doing resis and too warm for going in and out of businesses.

At break, if you do not like hot chocolate, ask for a warm glass of water. Nothing warms up your core nicer than warm liquids at break. My standard winter lunch is half sandwich and soup.
Fleece. Being a rider, I have tons of fleece hats, balaclava's, ear warmers and neck wear. They are all black but what UPS doesn't see won't hurt them. LOL

Got to wear some of it yesterday as we went for a ride for the first time this year. Been a long year without riding. It's nice to be able to get back on the bikes, although I had to leave mine sitting in the garage.
:dissapointed:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
For your feet, start with a liner sock, then smart wool then a 400, 600 or 1000 gram thinsulate boot. I find that 600 is good for most winter days and only wear 1000 gram when it is -15f or colder. On those days, I also add a pair of wind pants over my browns. Most days, they are too warm for going into and out of businesses, but for resis, they are the bomb. I wear the kind that zip up the side of my legs so that I can put them on with my boots on. One of the guys in my center wears Cabela's rain bibs on those super cold days. Keeps the wind from blowing up his back.

Last winter, while I was on comp, I found a pair of gaiters to wear over my boots for days when it is really snowing. Sometimes, if you can keep the snow out of your boots and off your shins, you can stay warm enough to avoid the wind pants.

The key to adding all the non-UPS labeled outerwear is only wearing brown or black. We had a driver that added some other colors and was told to leave it at the center one day when the division manager was at the building. Made for a sucky day for that driver.
My center does not allow black. White or brown only including undershirts that are visible (not including socks when worn with pants).

jaker

trolling
With any luck rosemarytea won't be assigned to upstate or jaker.
It's not because I am a a hole , it is because most people here use this as a chance to get into ups and if they are out of uniform and seen that can lose their chance at getting hired

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It's not because I am a a hole , it is because most people here use this as a chance to get into ups and if they are out of uniform and seen that can lose their chance at getting hired
It's not going to make much of a difference if they aren't even given uniforms to begin with. Our jumpers haven't gotten uniforms to wear for 2 years now. I doubt very seriously they'll get them this year either.

barnyard

KTM rider
Helpers have only been getting the UPS pullover for at least the last 5 years at my center. They are told to wear newer jeans by the HR person that hires them.

jaker

trolling
It's not going to make much of a difference if they aren't even given uniforms to begin with. Our jumpers haven't gotten uniforms to wear for 2 years now. I doubt very seriously they'll get them this year either.

Helpers have only been getting the UPS pullover for at least the last 5 years at my center. They are told to wear newer jeans by the HR person that hires them.
At my hub they all get shirt and pants

Still funny how things are so different between centers

raceanoncr

Not a "helper" reply but similar, nonetheless.

Had a bid feeder job a lot of yrs ago that required being outside for first, maybe, 2 hrs of night hooking up mileage doubles/tractors/fueling, etc. Not shifter, but walking outside most of those hours just juggling. Was almost -10 w/wind blowin. Had blue full-body coveralls on w/whatever head gear I had. Looked like blue Michelin man.

Gung ho LP goof that had been "reassigned" many times for peeling roof off P/C, UNDER THE SAME BRIDGE, saw me and promptly called up to feeder mangler. Wanted me fired for that.

Feeder mangler promptly fired back, "I DON'T GIVE A smile* WHAT HE WEARS IN THIS WEATHER!!! HE'S GETTING THE JOB DONE AND IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, YOU CAN DO IT!!!" Bless his heart.

Oh, and the deposed LP guy...a little bit later was "encouraged" to resign. Now runs UPS Store here that is just about desolate.

rosemarytea

1st - how about in friend. 2nd - considering that we have jumpers in street clothes I wouldn't worry to much. Personally, I would tell my jumper to wear what keeps you warm, with a degree of common sense.

I don't really see why thats necessary considering I'm always converting from friend to C when speaking to my American friends online, if you really wanted to know you could figure it out. If it helps put it into perspective, -40C is the same in friend, its about where the two meet up on the scale.

Yeah we all received uniforms, I suppose its one of those regional things. Whether or not the other helpers I see wear them I suppose is up to the individual but we were given everything, except for the belt for myself as they didn't have one that fit.