Seasonals

Geo926

I was a seasonal and have already been laid off. My last on road day was Tuesday. Seasonals that were hired after Oct 15th can work until Jan 10th.

B

bowflex

I was hired in Aug as seasonal driver 12/30 was my last day. I asked the dispatch coordinator before I went out "whats up for Thursday". He said " I think all seasonal drivers are done after today I will have the manager call you guys". I called my Sup when I got back to the hub and he said I was done after today. I asked him when and where do I return my uniforms. he said " I don't know the protocol I will let you know". No one called so today I showed up In uniform but had all my extras in a bag ready to turn in. I called my Sup when I got to the hub he said "come in tomorrow turn in your uniform and we will give you your last check". I told him I have all my stuff in bag so I can turn it in today. He said OK bring it in. he didn't tell me where to drop it off or if i was to speak to anyone. common sense dictated I go to human resources. the guy in HR looked at me like what are you doing here. I told him i needed to drop friend my uniform pick up my hand truck lock and drop off my keys. "he said what keys?" i explained I was given keys to certain apartment complexes yet he and my dispatch manager had no clue that i was given keys. this was the strangest lay off ever. from what I gathered none of the other seasonals have turned in their uniform yet. To add to this story I went to the union and they were clueless when i said i wanted to withdraw my union card. Its been a surreal experience. one of my friends in another hub is still working so I guess its different depending on location. No racism intended and I am black but I wish i had the white or spanish supervisor In my hub. This **** i had was a piece of work.

9.5er

We had several drivers with helpers today. I'm running a rural route this week so no helper for me.

On vacation next week. Oh yeah!!

Marne Vet

All of our seasonal cover drivers were laid-off. We are still smoked with Peak numbers, and have 12-13 drivers on vacation this week. We had about 9 sups running trips and some as helpers today. We were smoked, and now it's snowing and it's suppose to dump 4-8" on us so our morning will be friend'd.

HomeDelivery

bowflex, that sucks that they left you out to dry... good luck in whatever you'll be doing next

hard enough to be delivering in the city; some HD drivers that i know that live there prefer going across the river to the neighboring state to deliver to suburbia instead... less risk of getting car-jacked & people won't be sitting by their doors w/ a gun after dark

Overburdened

I was hired on as a seasonal helper and was told during orientation that last day would be 12/31 because of the current contract. On 12/23 they said all helpers had to turn in our uniforms after we get done on the 24th so I did. I got called back after Christmas and have ran since. Today they told me my last day wouldn't be for another 3 weeks. I'm totally grateful and need the work but I don't want to piss off the union.

Mack Grant

Brownslave they'll bend the rules as they see fit, but I'm actually happy because I still have a helper, but much less work than 3 weeks ago. Besides, as cold as it is, it's best to just let the seasonal do all the walking!

phox1515

I have not worked since Dec 30th :/ I was told the season for helpers was gonna go till Jan 15 or 17... I have already been looking for a new job but i'm also going to take some online college classes so I can get some fin aid money to keep me alive.

reh303

I was hired on as a seasonal helper and was told during orientation that last day would be 12/31 because of the current contract. On 12/23 they said all helpers had to turn in our uniforms after we get done on the 24th so I did. I got called back after Christmas and have ran since. Today they told me my last day wouldn't be for another 3 weeks. I'm totally grateful and need the work but I don't want to piss off the union.

I'm in the same boat, except it's even less coordinated here. I got a voicemail and email while I was out working yesterday asking why I hadn't turned in my uniform yet.

I also looked at my check on upsers and my pay went up to $16.23 an hour from $8.50 an hour. Hey, I'm not complaining.

gingerkat

^^^
I still have my uniform too and did work in January. I was told that I would be receiving top rate pay as of Jan 1. Now they are told to use insiders first, but they're allowing seasonal helpers to keep our unitards.