Seat Belt Pledge

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yesterday we were asked to sign a seat belt pledge. This pledge, which was co-sponsored by UPS and Liberty Mutual, basically said that we would pledge to wear our seatbelts at all times and that we would encourage our passengers to do the same. It did not specify work and/or personal vehicles.

Several of us, including myself, refused to sign this pledge as we felt it was redundant. We are already required by New York State law and by UPS to wear our seatbelts whenever the wheels are rolling so why sign a pledge for something we already have to do.

Has anyone else been asked to sign a seat belt pledge and, if so, what were your feelings about this pledge?

Nimnim

The Nim
It's symbolic at most.....where's the harm in signing. It just reinforces a good thing.

Just to be a bit argumentative, why don't they then pass out a paper to sign saying you won't punch your sup in the face?

More to Upstate, I most likely won't see it not being a driver, but I'd probably not sign it either since it's redundant in FL as well with our seat belt law.

bluehdmc

Haven't seen it in NJ. I wear my seatbelt, have for years before it became the law. No one rides in my car without buckling up either. Although if they asked me to sign a pledge to wear it, I wouldn't sign it just on general princples.
Seems like a waste of time and paper anyway.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
We havent seen a specific seat belt pledge, but a few years ago there was a "safety pledge" being passed around that we were told we had to sign.

Its just a redundant piece of paper, and there are already a few million too many of those floating around UPS in the first place.

Moneythehardway

I'm assuming since it's sponsored in part by liberty mutual, that it would probably benefit UPS's insurance expenses with a signed letter from Drivers stating the obvious that everyone will wear seatbelts.

tarbar66

My first package car did not have seat belts back in 1979. I think it may have been a 1963 Chevrolet or GM chassis.

I went to the junk yard and got a set for automotive to install.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Other than demonstrating an unwillingness to cooperate and attracting unnecessary negative attention to yourself, whats the point in refusing to sign?

You'll have a hard time convincing anyone that you were unaware that you're required to wear it. Add in the fact that when it was reviewed with you, you refused to sign. It just makes it look like you are willfully violating the requirement.

Imagine the sympathy and the break (or lack of) you'll get if you get caught not wearing it.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I don't get the paranoia about not signing things.....yet people hop on Facebook and think nothing of it. Don't sign your income tax form and see how long it takes to get your refund.

OT...today hackers got the info of 120,000 I-Pad folks including celebrities and people like Rahm Emmanuel......got their e-mail info. Sometime it just doesn't pay to have the latest gizmos. Ok, I'll go back into my cave.

Bristol Brown

In the UK we have to wear a seatbelt when the wheels are in motion as it is UPS policy but not the law.

No driver in the UK has ever been prosecuted for reversing/backing while not wearing a seatbelt, infact on the UK driving test drivers are encouraged to remove their seatbelt when backing/reversing as it is safer to back/reverse without being restricted by a seatbelt.

UPS obviously think otherwise with zero evidence to back their claim.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
it takes a special kind of person to not pledge to wear your seatbelt. redundant or not, was it really that inconvienient to have to sign a piece a paper? way to take on "the man"

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

it takes a special kind of person to not pledge to wear your seatbelt. redundant or not, was it really that inconvienient to have to sign a piece a paper? way to take on "the man"

I wear my seatbelt every time I am behind the wheel. This is something I learned while in the service and it is second nature. My refusal to sign had nothing to do with not wanting to wear and everything to do with the fact that the pledge was unnecessary.

upssalesguy

UPS Defender
in the pcm i attended, it was more of a verbal committment, but I can't imagine not signing if asked - its shows the guys next to you that you are serious - unless you don't wear your belt and can't sign it

I wear my seatbelt every time I am behind the wheel. This is something I learned while in the service and it is second nature. My refusal to sign had nothing to do with not wanting to wear and everything to do with the fact that the pledge was unnecessary.

+1 next thing they will ask you to pledge to eat from the four food groups. When is enough enough??