security words

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by dilligaf, Sep 23, 2011.

1. dilligaf

dilligaf IN VINO VERITAS

are a PITA. Why am I entering them every few posts? :dissapointed:

2. faded jeans

faded jeans just a member

Isn't that the truth. I can't figure out what is triggering that message. I usually just start over because I can't read that crap!

3. faded jeans

What the hell just happened up there!

4. menotyou

menotyou bella amicizia

Maybe, there are doing an upgrade of the system, again. Speaking of upgrades, the new upload system for photos is lovely. :)

5. faded jeans

Sounds like a good opportunity to upload some lovely photos. Just saying..............

6. grgrcr88

grgrcr88 No It's not green grocer!

I second that!!

7. cheryl

cheryl I started this. Staff Member

Sorry for the inconvenience. A few days ago someone pointed a network of a couple thousand zombie computers at this site. I found a way to effectively block them from disrupting the use of the site, but increasing security also resulted in a small number of legit users being blocked. Also, if your computer is infected with malware then the security filter may think you're a bot and not a person.

I previously asked the mods to keep an eye out for members complaining that they have to answer a question to prove they aren't a bot before they can get to this site so that I can whitelist their ip to keep that from happening to them. This is the first I've heard that it had happened to anyone.

From wikipedia:
    Zombies can be used to conduct distributed denial-of-service attacks, a term which refers to the orchestrated flooding of target websites by large numbers of computers at once. The large number of Internet users making simultaneous requests of a website's server are intended to result in crashing and the prevention of legitimate users from accessing the site. A variant of this type of flooding is known as distributed degradation-of-service. Committed by "pulsing" zombies, distributed degradation-of-service is the moderated and periodical flooding of websites, done with the intent of slowing down rather than crashing a victim site. The effectiveness of this tactic springs from the fact that intense flooding can be quickly detected and remedied, but pulsing zombie attacks and the resulting slow-down in website access can go unnoticed for months and even years.

8. dilligaf

dilligaf IN VINO VERITAS

I knew we'd get an answer eventually. Thanks Cheryl. I do understand the necessity of it but it is aggravating. I just started having to do it (last day or two) but I haven't been on much this past week.

Does this mean I might have a malware?

9. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

Hi Tie!

Hahahahaha, you know y'all were thinkin it!!!!

10. over9five

over9five Moderator Staff Member

No. You may simply be a zombie.

11. dilligaf

dilligaf IN VINO VERITAS

I know I was a zoombie on my way home last night...........:surprised:

12. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

Please type these words to continue being a BrownCafe member................

:happy-very:

13. klein

klein Für Meno :)

Looks like scrambled eggs, this ain't your cooking thread, ya know ? :)

14. cachsux

cachsux Wah

When I saw this thread I thought it was about the safety phrase for when you`ve had enough and want to be untied.

15. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

I've seen some applications development people look like this close to release time except they did not have as much color in their face.

16. DS

DS Fenderbender

I got one the other night,before I read this.

17. moreluck

moreluck golden ticket member

I think that's "safe word".

18. cachsux

cachsux Wah

From experience, whats a good one?

19. dilligaf

dilligaf IN VINO VERITAS

​More????:wink2:

20. Dizzee

Dizzee ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs

STOP!!