Seeking some advice..

Ouch

Just because your low man on the to tum pole doesn't mean that everybody in front of you will want a full timeposition. Some may not sign the bid others may just be working their as a part time gig for insurance. Hang in their and keep your head up.

Cementups

Box Monkey
If they don't have driving work available for you then you can always go in the hub during the day/twi shift and get your hours. Even as a part timer.

BigBeef42

I just turned 26, a couple of weeks ago. Got hired in about 6 weeks before I turned 25.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Dude please develop patience... its aggrevating to read posts like this.

Ohh, and develop a backbone too because ups likes to ride you without lube.

Less Runnin, More Stunnin

WESLA

It is what it is
Dude I've been at ups for 7 years. I've been a qualified tcd for a couple months now and have yet to drive my first day. I'd say your prolly not that bad to stick it out.

wayfair

swollen member
With 10 hours off everyday plus the weekends.

I love my nights and weekends.... school time sucked for my involvement in my daughters activiites, But i did the best I could being there, in sour uniforms...... Senior nights where ruff, but made it through.. that chapter is done for a bit, a new one has started with the high school sweet heart taking all of her time.... ah... parents... lol

MethodsMan

I don't understand this whole cover driving thing. Where I'm at you're either a FT driver or Saturday air. That's the way it should be. Sounds like the company just strings these cover drivers along for years in some of these places.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I don't understand this whole cover driving thing. Where I'm at you're either a FT driver or Saturday air. That's the way it should be. Sounds like the company just strings these cover drivers along for years in some of these places.
No one to blame but themselves. If I were in one of those locals I would fight tooth and nail to have the job eliminated next contract.

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Stick it out, bet you will be driving faster than you think with all the crazy hiring and volume we have been getting.

BrownChoice

What seemed like a long wait for me, turned out not so bad. We're still talking 6.3 years part time, but only 1.6 years as utility driving/saturday air.

So, didnt turn in to the 8-10 years as was expected, and were not to far apart in age. Im almost 27, started ft drivin this year.

A big thing to remember is with this job, even part time your racking up a PENSION. The question you have to ask yourself is... Do you want to retire, and do YOU want to enjoy retirement???

llamainmypocket

Hello, fellow UPSers..My name's Chris, I work at a UPS center in central NY. I got hired in as a part time
preloader in June of 2013 and prior to that, I worked as a driver helper for 3 consecutive peak seasons (which is what helped me get in.) I officially qualified last month as a cover driver and have only drove a couple times since then, probably won't drive again until the peak madness begins. I just can't help but get discouraged at times and wonder if I'm selling myself short..I know there's several guys retiring within the next 5 years (first one's leaving this coming Feb/ March) but as the bottom guy on the totem pole, I just don't know how long I can wait. I know this turns into a great career years down the road, but in the meantime, it's very difficult trying to live off what I'm trying to live off, in addition to a part time security job on weekends. I try to just take things one day at a time, stay humble and do my job to the best of my ability. I know management likes me, but at the end of the day, I have to do what's best for myself..Any advice please?..Thanks.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Pick up a pizza delivery job. You'll get decent pay from the tips and work another 15-20 hours a week. You may even learn something about navigating areas.

sandwich

The resident gearhead
I think op is saying he is a part time cover driver. Meaning he only drives when people are on vacation and/or peak. Other than that he's in the hub. And the cover driver with 8-12 years are waiting for a permanent full time driving spot. So he has many years of barely driving. And it sucks because you can't get a day job as a cover driver. Your 26 dude. Stick it out. Its worth it.

Source: was a cover driver for 8.5 years, now I'm fulltime top rate. Its worth the wait.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No one to blame but themselves. If I were in one of those locals I would fight tooth and nail to have the job eliminated next contract.

Why? The use of cover drivers/casuals helps during volume surges as it allows the PDS to add extra routes as needed. On slower days, the casuals will either cover for FT drivers who are on vacation or want the day off or they will not work that day.

OPTION3

Why? The use of cover drivers/casuals helps during volume surges as it allows the PDS to add extra routes as needed. On slower days, the casuals will either cover for FT drivers who are on vacation or want the day off or they will not work that day.
As with everything else.....the COMPANY abuses the cover-driver language