Seems FedEx is this years late delivery headline maker

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I saw a Fedex Air, Fedex Ground, and a Fedex Home Delivery van delivering to the same house one day. in my area, they all run out of completely different buildings. If they ever combine all three into the same network at their pay levels, UPS will be in serious trouble.
Not to mention they could save a boat load transporting more stuff over the ground network. Stuff we load onto a feeder here has to go on a plane with them.

I'm honestly surprised they haven't been pressured to integrate their divisions better.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Not to mention they could save a boat load transporting more stuff over the ground network. Stuff we load onto a feeder here has to go on a plane with them.

I'm honestly surprised they haven't been pressured to integrate their divisions better.
And who picked up the slack when Fedex couldnt handle Amazon stuff at the last minute because they were overloaded? Ditto we did lol.

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Yeah, seems like this peak for FedEx was like our peak was in 2013. Even when we left the building late at 9:30-9:45 I would make my first bulk stop deliveries and the receiver would ask 'did you see FedEx out there, he hasn't stopped by yet'. And as a matter of fact I didn't see them until much later in the day whereas in normal times the FedEx express guy and I would often arrive at the dock at the same time. I saw FedEx ground routinely making deliveries at businesses at close to 5pm when I'd be doing my last pickup. Meanwhile for us this was surely the easiest peak I've ever done. Our building utilized 'pods' which were portable modules set up at different corners of the buildings that 4 package cars could park at and get loaded there. Made it WAAAAY better than before when we tried to squeeze too many cars into the hub and made it a complete cluster:censored2:.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

I saw a Fedex Air, Fedex Ground, and a Fedex Home Delivery van delivering to the same house one day. in my area, they all run out of completely different buildings. If they ever combine all three into the same network at their pay levels, UPS will be in serious trouble.
It depends on how much them being unionized would affect their rates. The whole reason Express remains separate from Ground is to keep the union out. If the Ground contractors began to run Express, their operations would grow large enough that it could be possible to start making targeted organizing efforts on the larger contractors, and I doubt FedEx would be able to just drop them and replace them so easily.

bbsam

Staff member
They don't need to combine really. It can be done one step prior with IT. Much of the overlap will be done away with through sort technology. Packages for a single geographical location can be routed to a single van. They are starting it with the integration of Smartpost and I'm certain it will continue through the systems.

Overpaid Union Thug

Yesterday I kept seeing a Ground guy in a Uhaul type minivan and there would always be HD girl in a soccer mom van not far behind. I finally asked her what's up and she said she'd been following him all day. I thought that was weird.

UPSGUY72

I thought the reason behind them not combining is Fred will have to be under the railway act or something like that?

The only reason why Fed ex doesn't combine operations is because they want to keep being covered under the RLA and not the NLRA. The RLA makes it almost impossible for Fed Ex employees to unionize as they would have to have single nationwide vote / organization. Under the NLRA each area to unionize separately and at different times....

It's all about money and nothing more.. Fed Ex is only profitable under their business model because they don't pay their employees / independent contractor very well and don't have to give benefits to most of them..

UPSGUY72

UPS seems to make a profit combining their air and ground networks. I don't know why FedEx couldn't do the same.

They make money under there current business model because of the low wages they pay. They probably could make a profit eventually if the combined operations but it all comes down to that they don't want a union shop and nothing more.

Purplepackage

They make money under there current business model because of the low wages they pay. They probably could make a profit eventually if the combined operations but it all comes down to that they don't want a union shop and nothing more.

FedEx as a corporation makes so much because they don't pay Ground at all. The only thing they spend money on is the hub they work out of and the managers salaries.

We make a :censored2: ton off of international overnight shipments through express and now that we own tnt those profits will began to rise even more.

The ground guys working for 10 bucks an hour because the uniform says FedEx think they have it made