Self Managed Account

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
King makes more than a few important points as do others. Use your head and put many eggs into many different baskets and you will have a better retirement. Our 401K has the lowest costs of any plan I have looked at. If you like to gamble and have the time to devote to doing the due diligence needing to intelligently investing on your own by all means convert into a self managed account. I caution you, and honestly as a brother, I recommend you only use "discretionary" funds for anything that's "self managed." You are up against many, many, many people that do it for a living and some of them are very smart and well financed!

One last parting thought is this; outside of yield, involvement in the stock market boils down to this......you are buying something now, that you think someone, at a later date, will pay you more for than what you paid for it.

Last edited:

kingOFchester

King makes more than a few important points as do others. Use your head and put many eggs into many different baskets and you will have a better retirement. Our 401K has the lowest costs of any plan I have looked at. If you like to gamble and have the time to devote to doing the due diligence needing to intelligently investing on your own by all means convert into a self managed account. I caution you, and honestly as a brother, I recommend you only use "discretionary" funds for anything that's "self managed." You are up against many, many, many people that do it for a living and some of them are very smart and well financed!

One last parting thought is this; outside of yield, involvement in the stock market boils down to this......you are buying something now, that you think someone, at a later date, will pay you more for than what you paid for it.

Great post and I concur on the "discretionary" funds" for the self managed account. Max out your 401k or stick to the index funds like SPY until you are comfortable using discretionary funds for picking stock.

browniehound

Today with the "market" at all time highs you have to read between the lines. Adjusted for inflation the "market" is still 25% below its 2007 high. That's if you believe the guberments inflation numbers. Wall st. is a ponzi scheme. With slick come on's like PE values and return's vs bonds and the like. Fact is its just paper being traded and its "value" based solely on what someone else is willing to pay you for it. Or, more easily understood as The Greater Fool buyer.

The financial crises exposed what Wall St know, what the Federal Reserve knows, and what most of the sheepele don't understand, ITS ALL ABOUT LEVERAGE. When everyone is de-leveraging there is no growth. Everything today is artificial. From money printing to deficit spending the REAL economy is still broken yet the "market" keeps moving like everything is fix.

The game of the Federal Reserve, of the Government, and there sycophants in the trillion dollar financial service industry is to convince you, to cajole you, and even coercer you (its call financial repression..see link below) to CHASE these paper assets higher and higher SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the banks, hedge funds, CAN UNLOAD trillions of $$$ of losses on the the mo mo's (that slang for momentum chasing bag-holding retail investors) then yank the easy/free money spigot leaving them, LIKE THE LAST THREE CRASHES...HOLDING THE friend'N bag. Not forgetting the fact that this current era of central bank policy is all about financing and monetizing government debt.

So go chase that hot stock, go gamble in the rigged game, the wolves on Wall St eagerly wait for you.

Financial Repression Back to Stay: Carmen M. Reinhart - Bloomberg

I hear ya, but I do my homework. I read the Journal and have a subscription to Investors Business Daily. I've had the 401k in the Midcap 400 for over 14 years now and have done well even with the financial crisis and tech bubble thrown in there. I feel its time to take a little gamble with less than 3% of my money. I still have 20+ years until retirement and feel I won't get hurt too bad if I put a limit order on all my trades 8% below my purchase price. I don't want to be at UPS 1 second longer than I have to. Who knows if the pension and SS will be there in 2033.

didyousheetit

The best time to get in the sma was in 2008 2009. Thats when I bought 40,000 plus shares of Ford @ 1.87

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using BrownCafe mobile app