Seniority and deciding who does what job

Yeanop

Hi all. I have a question about if seniority comes into play when deciding who does pickoff on a belt. I have worked for UPS for 9 months, but was moved to my current belt 2 months ago. I just recently passed the pickoff test, and would now obviously rather do pickoff than load a trailer. There are three other people on my belt, who have each worked for UPS 4, 3, and 2 months respectively; the current individual doing pickoff is the one who has worked there 4 months.

My supervisor recently told me that "seniority does not come into play when deciding who does pickoff. The supervisor decides who they want to do pickoff." This means an individual who has worked at UPS 5 months less than me is going to continue to do pickoff, while I "occasionally get rotated in" on certain nights.

Is this accurate or fair? Does seniority not matter at all in this situation? I am in the Western region if that matters at all.

UPSGUY72

Yeanop:945776 said:
Hi all. I have a question about if seniority comes into play when deciding who does pickoff on a belt. I have worked for UPS for 9 months, but was moved to my current belt 2 months ago. I just recently passed the pickoff test, and would now obviously rather do pickoff than load a trailer. There are three other people on my belt, who have each worked for UPS 4, 3, and 2 months respectively; the current individual doing pickoff is the one who has worked there 4 months.

My supervisor recently told me that "seniority does not come into play when deciding who does pickoff. The supervisor decides who they want to do pickoff." This means an individual who has worked at UPS 5 months less than me is going to continue to do pickoff, while I "occasionally get rotated in" on certain nights.

Is this accurate or fair? Does seniority not matter at all in this situation? I am in the Western region if that matters at all.

Does the person doing the pick off get a $1 more an hr or does everyone start out at $9.50 ? If the person doing the pick off is getting a $1 more than it should go by seniority. If not your sol.

With that being said you need to read your local supplement and see if it says anything about it.

10yearteamster

Yeanop:945776 said:

Does the person doing the pick off get a $1 more an hr or does everyone start out at $9.50 ? If the person doing the pick off is getting a $1 more than it should go by seniority. If not your sol.

With that being said you need to read your local supplement and see if it says anything about it.

What this guy said ^^

If they're is an increase in wage for picking off, you're entitled to the job. If there is no wage increase, they can put you where you want to.

washington57

Have you guys never heard of the preferred jobs? If you have more seniority you have the right to bump the less senior employee.

There are only a few exceptions to this, but go find your shop steward and if the issue can't be resolved on the floor then file a grievance.

10yearteamster

It is a preferred job, but it's not a seniority position unless an increase in pay is involved. Preferred means that it's preferred. Seniority should not be confused with it.

washington57

It is a preferred job, but it's not a seniority position unless an increase in pay is involved. Preferred means that it's preferred. Seniority should not be confused with it.

Can you elaborate on this? It was my understanding that seniority prevails even if there is no pay difference. In my area, one can't pick a specific set of trucks to load, specific door to sort or boxline to work on but the different jobs are bid upon. The person with the highest seniority person will then do that job. I work in a hub if that makes a difference though.

UPSGUY72

Can you elaborate on this? It was my understanding that seniority prevails even if there is no pay difference. In my area, one can't pick a specific set of trucks to load, specific door to sort or boxline to work on but the different jobs are bid upon. The person with the highest seniority person will then do that job. I work in a hub if that makes a difference though.

In the building I started in everyone Pt got the $1 no matter what job you did. They also put you where they need you you didn't get to pick in choose else most of the people that new how to load cars would be in the primary unloading trailer while all the people without a clue would be loading the cars.

In the building where I'm now the people that load the cars are 22.3 jobs they work and 8hr shift. the rest of the people are PT and I believe they all start out with the $1.

upser92

I get pick pay and it's a dollar extra. Really pays off and has offset in my case the rise of gas

JonFrum

Part-timers can bid on job openings, but they can't bump people who bid into their jobs. However, if the employee doing a job didn't bid into the job, I believe he can be bumped by a more senior employee.

A "preferred job" is any job you prefer, even if it pays less, and others disagree with your preference.

I thinking National Master Contract Article 22 exists for a reason . . .

ARTICLE 22. PART-TIME EMPLOYEES
Section 4.
Part-time employees shall be given the opportunity to fill full-time jobs before hiring from the outside on a six-for-one basis (six (6) part-time to every one (1) outside hire).

The following will be incorporated into the job selection procedures in the applicable Supplement, Rider or Addendum:

The Employer will fill all vacancies and permanent new jobs for part-time employees from the part-time selection list in all months except November and December.

Part-time employees with six (6) months or more seniority shall have the right to place their name on the list of employees waiting to be moved to a preferred job within their building. Such preferred jobs shall include, but not be limited to: Preload, Sorter, Clerical, Irregular Train, Designated Responder, Carwasher, Loader and Unloader. Employees do not have the right to select any specific unit, load or workstation unless a prior past practice has been established.

Part-time employees with less than six (6) months seniority shall have the right to bid a preferred job prior to the Employer hiring from off-the-street.

A maximum of twenty-five percent (25%) of the employees on a shift shall be allowed to change shifts in any one (1) calendar year. The employee obtaining the new position shall remain on that shift for at least six (6) months.

Yeanop

He does get the $1 extra an hour, however because I just passed the test I also just received the $1 extra an hour, so we're both getting it now.

Dynomite

What hub do you work at where that many people our on one PD and have that little of seniority? I'm jealous, I have almost four years and there are still 4 people in front of me. In Illinois there were three people in front of me. Anyway in Illinois I complained about that too, and my supervisor said the same thing because when the main pickoff guy called in I would come into work and see someone with less seniority picking off. I didn't do anything about it, but I knew it couldn't have been right. I thought all pick off jobs paid a dollar more?