seniority by years in area or by years?

deathracer

i hear that seniority goes by how long you've been an area and ur guaranteed a spot in ur area over new employee's. but i hear that guys with more years with the company can be given whatever position they want even if they are new to an area in the hub. so wich is true? or does it depend on management?

giapitt

In my building seniority is based on years with the company not years in area. So if they are moved to a new area they don't loose their seniority. The only way I have gotten a job over someone with more seniority is based on skills. If you are already trained to do the job they will give it to a less seniority person.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I would guess that it depends on your supplement. In my building, your total company years counts for vacation time, etc, no matter what your job classification. However, when you go from part time loader to package car driver, your building time doesn't count for the yearly route bid, only your time as a driver. I've got a guy in my group who's been with with the company about 4 more years than I have, but because I bid into driving before he did he's under me in the yearly bid. It works the same way going from package to feeder.

drewed

Shankman
I would guess that it depends on your supplement. In my building, your total company years counts for vacation time, etc, no matter what your job classification. However, when you go from part time loader to package car driver, your building time doesn't count for the yearly route bid, only your time as a driver. I've got a guy in my group who's been with with the company about 4 more years than I have, but because I bid into driving before he did he's under me in the yearly bid. It works the same way going from package to feeder.

building time (+time in position) override total seniority in most places
so if driver A with 5 years in the builiding cant be bumped by driver 10 years total seniority with 3 years building time.......Driver B would keep his rate/vacation but be lower on the totem pole when it came to bidding

Mike Hawk

Time with company seniority determines number of vacation weeks. Your place in bidding is determined by building seniority, the only way to lose that is a transfer to another building at which point you go to the bottom of the list. Your seniority does not change when you move to a different area of a hub, going from small sort to unload has zero effect on seniority.

deathracer

what i mean is can a person with 5 years scanning bump a person with 2 years sorting from his area? if the person scanning decided that he wanted to be a sorter who would they move to let the scanner become a sorter?

drewed

Shankman
what i mean is can a person with 5 years scanning bump a person with 2 years sorting from his area? if the person scanning decided that he wanted to be a sorter who would they move to let the scanner become a sorter?
yes and whoever he bumped more than likely (or whoever is on the bottom of the totem pole)

IDoLessWorkThanMost

it depends on the building, 22.3 jobs are made up of 2 pt jobs so a pt with more seniority can bump a lower seniority fter. jobs up here arent bid its what your hired for...but they can be open to bidding and bumping

That's different. Up here, FT employees have a 2 part-time bids and work in those designated areas. usually one is skilled one isn't. A part time employee can't bump a ft'er out of their classification. They can bump them from a particular assignment within the classification.

drewed

Shankman
That's different. Up here, FT employees have a 2 part-time bids and work in those designated areas. usually one is skilled one isn't. A part time employee can't bump a ft'er out of their classification. They can bump them from a particular assignment within the classification.

yea, i wording was poor, i mean what youre saying

filthpig

Here, we use total time for vacations and full time date for your "full time seniority". If you move to another center, your seniority goes with you. this irritates a lot of people when you move in to a center and they go down on the list, but it's really the only fair way to do it. If you transfer to feeders, you start over at the bottom of the feeder dept.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Here, we use total time for vacations and full time date for your "full time seniority". If you move to another center, your seniority goes with you. this irritates a lot of people when you move in to a center and they go down on the list, but it's really the only fair way to do it. If you transfer to feeders, you start over at the bottom of the feeder dept.

Feeders here is different - at least in that if you are FT package car you keep your years.

chopstic

yes and whoever he bumped more than likely (or whoever is on the bottom of the totem pole)

I was under the impression that seniority only allowed you to bid on an "open" position, if it becomes available. Could i literally just walk up to someone in the sort isle with less seniority than me and say "good bye chump, I'm not taking over your job"?

drewed

Shankman
I was under the impression that seniority only allowed you to bid on an "open" position, if it becomes available. Could i literally just walk up to someone in the sort isle with less seniority than me and say "good bye chump, I'm not taking over your job"?

bump=bid someone out

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Preferred positions are the part time equivalent of bidding, look it up.

Yeah, but it's not really equivalent in that sense.

Preferred job is basically moving aroudn in the building when a spot opens up. The more seniority you have the more flexibility to move around. Also, most importantly, preferred jobs DO NOT garauntee a particular area of work.

full-time Bidding is entirely different. When full-time employees bid, you can bid any job or classification. When you bid a full-time job, you are given a classification and job descriptioin. Preferred jobs are entirely different from this in part-time ranks.

Ldyscorpio

it depends on the building, 22.3 jobs are made up of 2 pt jobs so a pt with more seniority can bump a lower seniority fter. jobs up here arent bid its what your hired for...but they can be open to bidding and bumping
Does a position have to be open to bid on