seniority for someone hired the same day as me

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by chopstic, Jan 29, 2009.

1. chopstic

chopstic New Member

I have a few coworkers who started the same day as I. I was wondering if it came down to us all bidding on the same job, how would UPS determine who has more seniority? I've heard rumors that it goes in alphabetical order... and other rumors that it goes by interview date. But I cant find it in the NMA.

2. User Name

User Name Only 230 Today?? lol

When I went driving, I had three guys start with me and it came down to who clocked in first, so on the first day of work I was the first one to clock in. so I have seniority by five min on the three guys. Nice to have when a bid comes up, also a list should be posted in the building it will tell the order. peace out

3. brownrodster

brownrodster New Member

They can also check who turned in their application first.

4. evilleace

evilleace Member

My steward told me alphabetically.

5. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

In our supplement seniority as described above is sorted out by a winner takes all game of Rock Paper Scissors.

6. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

Its who was interviewed first.

7. chopstic

chopstic New Member

thats what i was hoping for since i was interviewed about 3 months prior to getting the job. Where can i find this contract language?

8. Sammie

Sammie Well-Known Member

A physical is needed to clear you in good health to work. Seniority is
    based upon the time of your physical exam. When my husband became
    a UPS driver, several guys also started the same day he did. Their seniority was based on the times of their individual physicals...

9. User Name

User Name Only 230 Today?? lol

I dont understand why it is not the same everywhere. At my center they went by your first day and who punched in first and seems that every center has its own way of doing things. Guess you will find out when they post it in the center. Good luck, would be nice to be at the top of the list when three or more was hired the same day.. peace out

10. Sammie

Sammie Well-Known Member

We've always been told that if someone were to drop in at any UPS
    facility, policies and habits would be identical. Like a Walmart store.
    NOT!!! :confused2:

11. UPSNewbie

UPSNewbie New Member

Ha! The two Wal-marts near me are bass ackwards to each other.:funny:

12. wornoutupser

wornoutupser Active Member

Seriously, we had two employees with the same issue here. The division manager had them toss a coin!

13. govols019

govols019 You smell that?

In our center it's whoever clocked in first.

14. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Was it 2 out of 3?

15. road ends

road ends New Member

It varies by area and local union jurisdiction. There is usually a tie breaker rule already established. Get with h/r or your supervisor can find out from h/r

16. NEFARIOUS

NEFARIOUS BOTTOM FEEDER

We had that happen in our center they did the coin flip...

17. thunderkiss65

thunderkiss65 New Member

It's who punched in first ......no question

18. 705red

705red Browncafe Steward

Thats an interesting question. How we deal with ftime drivers bidding with the same date, is by using their ptime date of hire. I have not ran in to this problem with ptimers bidding on jobs, i will have to ask and find out.

19. stevetheupsguy

stevetheupsguy sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ

Same happened in our center. Flipped the coin once and winner goes on top. I'd never have that problem, as not too many people start on Feb. 29th.

20. City Driver

City Driver New Member

i know for a fact that here it goes by application date

theres 2 young casuals who just got hired a few months ago who were hired the same date and applied the same date....the seniority list shows what TIME each of them applied and one beat the other by a few hours