Seniority Grievance Question

Gukta

I work in a center in Atlanta and I was wondering if anyone could answer a question I have about a grievance I plan on filing.

This past week October 3rd - October 7th a person was sent to driving school with less seniority than me. I talked to my steward and he says I have a case. We talked to my center manager and he said that he will send me to driving school when the next class starts but I'm thinking that I should file a grievance just to have a paper trail just in case I don't get sent to school. First off does anyone know what article I should file this grievance under and secondly how long before the grievance timetable will be passed? Also, am I eligible for back pay for all the hours spent in class that the person with less seniority attended? I appreciate any and all feedback.

brett636

What's probably most important about the grievance is making sure your fulltime seniority date is ahead of the lower seniority person. You don't want them getting routes and vacation picks over you because your center screwed up and brought them in first.

menotyou

bella amicizia
If he is just going to cover drive, who goes to driving school first won't affect his FT job offer. It will affect his YTD totals on his check.

Gukta

We are going off the cover driver bid sheet. We are both part timers and I have more seniority. We both signed the bid sheet and he got sent to school before me. Now they are saying they plan on sending me once my steward and I called them out on it but I really just want to cover my arse and have a paper trail by filing a grievance just in case they decide not to send me or something.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Maybe ask steward or agent to investigate the lesser-seniority employees hours worked and file for the difference between your pay and theirs, for the time they were driving (or driving school, which is 8 hr days) while you were not. I'm not really sure how that would work out, maybe 407 or one of the other drivers stewards on here can answer to that. However, since you had the right to the driving school and the work, it seems legitimate.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Sleeve has something. Watch how much he drives if they think a grievance will get filed. They would have to pay all differences to make him whole.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Make sure you get it straightened out. I use to have the same type of issue. Myself and another guy who is about 10 years older than me came out driving the same day. The difference was though that I had about a year seniority over him. After our "classes" they asked me to stay on Preload for another 2 weeks just till they got someone else in and trained. I agreed to two weeks and two weeks only and only if they made sure that our driving dates were the same. I didn't want ANY chances that he would get bids or time off before me. For the first two years they somehow screwed it up and tried to have him pick first but as soon as I threatened to file grievances (at a time when it mattered) they fixed the matter.

Cover your ass!!!

UPSGUY72

I work in a center in Atlanta and I was wondering if anyone could answer a question I have about a grievance I plan on filing.

This past week October 3rd - October 7th a person was sent to driving school with less seniority than me. I talked to my steward and he says I have a case. We talked to my center manager and he said that he will send me to driving school when the next class starts but I'm thinking that I should file a grievance just to have a paper trail just in case I don't get sent to school. First off does anyone know what article I should file this grievance under and secondly how long before the grievance timetable will be passed? Also, am I eligible for back pay for all the hours spent in class that the person with less seniority attended? I appreciate any and all feedback.

Could this have to due with the other person signing a list that you didn't ??? IF the other person sign a list or bid and you didn't you are SOL.